BBK Shorty Headers Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Complete Street Performance has the Kooks shorties in stock. One week delivery time. Had mine installed 2 weeks ago for $300 installer said they were the best fit he’s experienced. Exhaust note is awesome and a good kick in the midrange. No tune required but my 2014 Express goes on the dyno for a tune October 2nd.

Is your exhaust stock ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Richey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stock cats, magnaflow muffler. Installing Vararam CAI today. I’m really impressed with the performance and quality of the Kooks torque series headers.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I put long tubes on do I have to take them off to get the transmission out?

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I have ceramic coated BBK headers for 2 years now and I didn't have any problems with them... so far so good.
They don't leak and still look pretty good even though I'm leaving in an island.

ameldorf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with ARH longtubes with cats recently. No install issues, a very nice product, and no CEL with their cats. A little throatier than manifolds at idle with good WOT sound.

You’d have to at least remove the crossover to get trans out.

454537640878dda5f83bfea09f85244e.jpg
6eb4fa7b3f42b8c9f17facb14c677360.jpg

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with ARH longtubes with cats recently. No install issues, a very nice product, and no CEL with their cats. A little throatier than manifolds at idle with good WOT sound.

Very nice it will be my next purchase when I have the money to change my BBK.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Very nice! Is that a kit? If so how much and where did you get it from?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If I put long tubes on do I have to take them off to get the transmission out?

Not sure about your 5 speed RFE,but i didn't have to unbolt my JBA 1 7/8's long tubes to pull the 8 speed on my 4X4 when i replaced it.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip

Do you have factory exhaust (muffler back)?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Will all shorty headers pass smog in California ? I just asked a muffler shop here in town about shorty headers and he said having shorty headers is pointless if you have the cat and defeats the purpose ... I told him it's more to avoid manifold leaks and the broken manifold bolt and he said he has never heard of broken manifold bolts or warped manifolds on a ram 1500 ... i was like wtf are you serious dude!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Will all shorty headers pass smog in California ? I just asked a muffler shop here in town about shorty headers and he said having shorty headers is pointless if you have the cat and defeats the purpose ... I told him it's more to avoid manifold leaks and the broken manifold bolt and he said he has never heard of broken manifold bolts or warped manifolds on a ram 1500 ... i was like wtf are you serious dude!
I'd Go to a different shop.. I'd also avoid bbk.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
I had the BBK 4014 shorties in my watchlist on eBay, I was almost set on getting these until i read this thread. At less than $400 I couldn't find a better price. Sucks. Can you guys link me to some shorties that work well for a good price? There are so many truck part stores, not sure where I should be looking. Also is it recommended to wrap them for just a regular commuter truck? I can do the work myself.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I had the BBK 4014 shorties in my watchlist on eBay, I was almost set on getting these until i read this thread. At less than $400 I couldn't find a better price. Sucks. Can you guys link me to some shorties that work well for a good price? There are so many truck part stores, not sure where I should be looking. Also is it recommended to wrap them for just a regular commuter truck? I can do the work myself.
It depends on your budget. Jba ceramics ar supposto be decent. I personally like afe stainless, everyone will have a different opinion because it's what works for them. If it's less than $800 bux u get what u pay for. Like my dad says by cheap condoms expect bad results [emoji1787] same goes for truck parts lol.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi, I have ceramic coated BBK headers for 2 years now and I didn't have any problems with them... so far so good.
They don't leak and still look pretty good even though I'm leaving in an island.
I've never had them on my Ram obviously, but I had a set of BBK equal length shorties on my 90 mustang back in the early 2000s. I had them on for a few years and a whole bunch of miles with zero issues. They were not ceramic coated, and aside from the fact that they got incredibly hot, I never had any kind of problem with them. If random instances of quality problems were reason to avoid a brand, none of us would be driving anything, especially a Ram truck.

I have a slight tick that I believe is the beginning of an exhaust leak. I havent checked the manifold bolts yet (admittedly out of pure laziness), but if that is what it is, I do not plan on replacing with stock manifolds. I also do not plan on spending near $1000 for a set of headers.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I've never had them on my Ram obviously, but I had a set of BBK equal length shorties on my 90 mustang back in the early 2000s. I had them on for a few years and a whole bunch of miles with zero issues. They were not ceramic coated, and aside from the fact that they got incredibly hot, I never had any kind of problem with them. If random instances of quality problems were reason to avoid a brand, none of us would be driving anything, especially a Ram truck.

I have a slight tick that I believe is the beginning of an exhaust leak. I havent checked the manifold bolts yet (admittedly out of pure laziness), but if that is what it is, I do not plan on replacing with stock manifolds. I also do not plan on spending near $1000 for a set of headers.
I'll just leave this here for you so it's easier to find a couple months after you buy the bbk's.
https://www.bbkperformance.com/bbk-...ce Parts are,with a full product questionaire.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Ok? I'm not seeing what the issue is.
I can order these by the literal Truckload from China. Inferior welds, shoddy workmanship and for an extra $200-$300 you can have a set that will twice as good.
This picture should make you think Twice.
I mean I'm all for cheap ****... When it works. when it starts breaking and wrecking more parts because it's junk I wont reccomend it. Trust me mine didn't last more than 8 months.

But by all means feel free to try for yourself and spend the money on the bbk and then spend more money and time changing them out to something that's better. Can't say we didn't warn ya. [emoji6] 08273c9aafd529aac22b921a85ac36c6.jpg49cdaa7b1aaac2980414b26962faccc3.jpg

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shorties are the only option for those of us in MA or CA. It sucks because longtubes are better and you can get them with cats but they have to be CARB certified cats here in MA. But shorties DO give you some performance increase, just not as much as long tubes. The factory manifolds are basically a pipe with ports on them, just about anything will flow better.

JBA has had their share of quality problems as well, just not like BBK. I got really lucky with my JBA shorties as I got them used almost 2 years ago. Some people have had them leak at the flange, welds let go, etc. Mine have been flawless so far.

However if you want some shorty headers that will outlast the truck, these are the ones you want. A bit pricey, but changing them multiple times really sucks.

https://kooksheaders.com/media/kooks-introduces-torque-series-for-20092018-ram-1500-pickups

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can order these by the literal Truckload from China. Inferior welds, shoddy workmanship and for an extra $200-$300 you can have a set that will twice as good.
This picture should make you think Twice.
I mean I'm all for cheap ****... When it works. when it starts breaking and wrecking more parts because it's junk I wont reccomend it. Trust me mine didn't last more than 8 months.

But by all means feel free to try for yourself and spend the money on the bbk and then spend more money and time changing them out to something that's better. Can't say we didn't warn ya. [emoji6] 08273c9aafd529aac22b921a85ac36c6.jpg49cdaa7b1aaac2980414b26962faccc3.jpg

So, those aren’t BBK headers though, so I’m not sure why you would compare them. BBK headers are made in the US. Not some cheap Chinese garbage. Can you explain the relevance?

FDF4379C-F774-414B-A8FE-D12193613DB7.jpeg

https://www.bbkperformance.com/aboutus/

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
So, those aren’t BBK headers though, so I’m not sure why you would compare them. BBK headers are made in the US. Not some cheap Chinese garbage. Can you explain the relevance?

View attachment 232258

https://www.bbkperformance.com/aboutus/
It's the exact same Header with the exact same hardware. Their shop may be In the US but I'd be willing to bet they don't make their headers because these Chinese ones are EXACTLY the same as the bbk ones. After my experience with them and their warranty department you couldn't give me a bbk product and I will never reccomend their junk to anyone, don't matter if they were made in the Whitehouse I will never support their products again. As for their warranty, I was not satisfied and was told to pound sand so their 100% satisfied is a slogan not a guarantee.

UTTER JUNK.