BBK Shorty Headers Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone!
This is the first time I've posted on here. I have a 2014 Express Crew Cab with the 5.7. I'm considering a set of BBK 4014 shorty headers. I have a broken manifold bolt and am going to get it fixed but had the wild thought of maybe getting some headers at the same time. My current mods on the truck are a K&N 57 FIPK intake and a magnaflow 19439 direct fit muffler. Everything else is stock. Will the shorty headers bolt up to the stock exhaust system? If so, will I notice any sound or power difference?
Thanks in advance for the help!
-Hayden

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Don't don't don't! You Wana do it twice, pay for a set of headers twice get bbk. If not go jba afe or another good brand but not bbk. If you Wana know what you're dealing with look up The warranty card. It's as difficult as possible to get warranty ouda them. I had mine on for a few months the collector broke and melted my knock sensor. I highly recommend avoiding bbk.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
haydene94

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll definitely check out those other brands. I’m not totally set on one brand. Just exploring my options. Will either of those brands work with the stock exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yes they will bolt right up to the factory flanges. I have afe stainless long tubes and love them. Most of the guys on here run jba ceramics and Havnt had issues.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
If you make a poor decision to buy them and the passenger side fails, I have one on the shelf. Here is my driver side.

A9B22A22-9EED-4645-9E75-CB42FF2AAB0B.jpeg

4014 chrome, poor warranty claims, would not recommend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
haydene94

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet! I’ll check those out. Basically, I don’t want my truck to be too loud but I want it to have that nice deep hemi rumble.

OP
OP
haydene94

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hahaha thanks Tim. Damn I definitely won’t go with the BBK’s! Thank you for all the help

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put the bbks on due to a broke exhaust manifold and I haven’t had any issues for 20k miles. They do make it sound a little deeper. Yes they bolt right up. If you plan on keeping it put some long tubes on it. That’s what I will do if something happens to these.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should just go long tubes with new bolts and gaskets and be done. Better to get it right the first time, but save up funds first and then go for the a gusto! You’ll need to fab up a y pipe for the long tubes but well worth it.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
You should just go long tubes with new bolts and gaskets and be done. Better to get it right the first time, but save up funds first and then go for the a gusto! You’ll need to fab up a y pipe for the long tubes but well worth it.
Get afe with the y pipe no Messing about. Also isn't it passed ur bedtime Lyle? [emoji12]

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'd say!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Y pipe fab was If he wanted true dual! Make some room for changing that trans fluid!
Touche! I've thought about putting v bands on mine so I can pop The center section out.

OP
OP
haydene94

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was looking into the long tube headers, but I live in CA and I don’t really want to screw with any o2 sensors or cats and make it tough to pass smog. I’m thinking the JBA shorties are the way to go for me. Simple swap out and no hassle with emission crap. Thanks again!

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was looking into the long tube headers, but I live in CA and I don’t really want to screw with any o2 sensors or cats and make it tough to pass smog. I’m thinking the JBA shorties are the way to go for me. Simple swap out and no hassle with emission crap. Thanks again!

I went through the same process you are going through now. I was originally going to get Kooks shorties, then with all the comments on here about long tubes, I thought I would go that route. But for a quality setup, with cats, and y-pipe, and tune, and muffler, and new tips (might as well), and... pretty much a whole new exhaust system. The cost was skyrocketing ($3k plus). So I ordered a set of Kooks shorties from Summit (best price I could find). Down side is the ship date is near the end of September. I have ANOTHER broken exhaust bolt, so I need to do something.

David Richey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Complete Street Performance has the Kooks shorties in stock. One week delivery time. Had mine installed 2 weeks ago for $300 installer said they were the best fit he’s experienced. Exhaust note is awesome and a good kick in the midrange. No tune required but my 2014 Express goes on the dyno for a tune October 2nd.