Bed dimensions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kanemd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2018 Express with a 74” bed. Bought a used tonneau from a 2019 and it doesn’t fit. So I measures the bed. It’s 65” wide in front and 62” wide in back. What’s up with that?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
They have always been built that way, all the way to 1994. What part of the 2019 Tonneau doesn't fit your 2018.

From one of my earlier posts

A couple of interesting things, the 2500 and 3500 do not come in a Quad cab configuration any more. If you want an 8' box you get standard cab or crew cab. The Mega cab only comes with the 6' 4" box. Since I was originally having such a hard time finding a cap I did some measuring of my existing truck and a 2019 that was on a dealer lot. I don't know if Dodge did it on purpose but the length of the bed rails, width of the box and width of the Tailgate are almost identical on both trucks. Both beds are 71.5" wide at the front, near the cab, it tapers to 69" at the back near the tailgate. The Tailgate is 62.5" wide. This means that in all likelyhood I could just drop the 1996 canopy straight onto the new truck. The only issue is the rear door hangs over the tailgate on the 96, to form a good seal. The 2021 has that wide Whaletail flat spot and bump out on the tailgate. You would have to trim 1/2 to 3/4" off the bottom of the aluminum frame at the bottom of the door for the door to be able to close and allow the double T handles to latch up.

Last edited:

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
If you have your VIN handy this decoder will tell you all the specs for your truck including dimensions of everything.
vindecoder
I used it to figure out what my axles were geared to from factory and the dimensions for the base of my chase rack project

edit: just realized its another forum, it has never made me create a log-in to use the decoder though.