Before, and after... Air dam removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I just did the same thing yesterday, down to the license plate mounting orientation.

Some say to watch out for overhearing as you’ve got your license plate blocking the airflow through the center of your intercooler.

Ive got the 6.4 and there’s a vast expanse of nothing behind the bumper.

D075D24F-195E-47E6-86C7-EE70482A1694.jpeg

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
That air dam is to induce a vacuum to move more air through the radiators. If never pushing the motor with a loaded truck you may not notice it. Depends on the climates you drive through. Manufacturers do not put on things because they want to. The reasons can be government regs, reduce warranty issues, engineering proves it is needed, etc.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I removed the air dam on my 2020 3500 HO to install my Baja Designs LED bar behind the center bumper grill. I too thought it looked better off but it exposes the cooler to damage from rocks or any other road debris. So, I put it back on. It does protect the cooler!

I have a 2016 1500 Ecodiesel that I leveled and removed the air dam. Being off does not affect cooling whatsoever. It does affect mpg.

First I've heard that it sets up a vacuum to move air into the radiators. If correct that's a good feature. IMO it's there to improve overall mpg to meet federal mpg rules. Same reason the truck is lowered in the front and why new 1500s have a secondary air dam that drops down at a certain speed. All to meet the federal regulations.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’ve got the 6.4L and no intercooler to worry about.

I thought the oil filter might be in harm’s way but it’s tucked away enough to be safe.

D38D1DE0-7EC1-4ECA-BEF3-D618A535902E.jpeg

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is no way it effects cooling on the 6.4. I could see removing it being problematic on the diesel. I took mine off before it had 500 miles on it, need all the clearance I can get turning a long bed around on forest roads.

btsbarton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That air dam is to induce a vacuum to move more air through the radiators. If never pushing the motor with a loaded truck you may not notice it. Depends on the climates you drive through. Manufacturers do not put on things because they want to. The reasons can be government regs, reduce warranty issues, engineering proves it is needed, etc.
I have doubts about this. Do you have any evidence to support your claim?
The 6.4 has a massive fan shroud over the entire radiator, the fan is pulling air thru the radiator it’s not drag induced vacuum.

Now I don’t know for certain, since I’m not the engineer who designed it, but if I had to guess what it really does: styling. Without it the NTHSA Compatability brackets are visible and stick out like a sore thumb. Perhaps a minor aerodynamics boost but MPG obviously don’t matter on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks (they aren’t even rated)

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I have doubts about this. Do you have any evidence to support your claim?
The 6.4 has a massive fan shroud over the entire radiator, the fan is pulling air thru the radiator it’s not drag induced vacuum.

Now I don’t know for certain, since I’m not the engineer who designed it, but if I had to guess what it really does: styling. Without it the NTHSA Compatability brackets are visible and stick out like a sore thumb. Perhaps a minor aerodynamics boost but MPG obviously don’t matter on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks (they aren’t even rated)

No scientific proof at all. And merely 20+ year old experience with resolving overheating issues on older trucks/cars.

The shroud creates the exhaust vacuum to induce the hot air out of the engine compartment. In theory.

But I guess it could be just dumb luck on those old vehicles.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I too have heard of older vehicles overheating without the front air dam. With the upsized grille area on the 2019+, I don't think cooling will be an issue.
When I had my plow installed, the shop took the front air dam off and threw it in the back of the truck. I drove it for a while and then decided that I wanted it back on as I thought it looked unfinished. I spent about an hour notching the air dam so it fit with the plow brackets. I had my upcoming 4000 miles on the highway from NH to SD and back while towing the camper, so I figured it would cost me nothing to maybe save a couple dollars in fuel costs.

JINXR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I took mine off a week ago. Went on a road trip over the weekend. Last time I made that trip, I was averaged 17-18 mpg. This time, I was around 14 mpg and MDS rarely kicked in. I'm going to be putting it back on. I can't believe the difference it made.