Belltech 965SP 4x4 2/4 drop kit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey I have a few questions about this kit, has anyone installed it?

Belltech 965SP 09-18 Quad/Crew Cab 4WD 2/4 drop

https://www.belltech.com/products/b...-dodge-ram-09-18-quad-crew-cab-4wd-965sp.html

1. How hard is this to install?

2. Ive heard about some instability, was your truck unstable at high speeds?

3. Have you hauled or towed with this kit, any problems?

4. Was the suspension / ride more rough after install?

5. Any other problems, issues, advice, any goods or bads, etc. etc. etc.?

Thanks!

Last edited:

vwbob16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just installed the 963nd kit on my 2012 2wd QC and it was pretty easy the only semi hard part was cutting off the stk Frt Bump stops I used a Sawzall but my blade was kinda dull Lol!! The Rear was Super easy only issue I had was with the pan hard relocation bracket A tab needed to be bent a little to fit correctly but was not a big deal As far as ride quality My truck Rides better than Stk and I have Ran it up to 95mph with no problems No rear shake or wobble I haven’t tried to tow with it and don’t plan too but I see a lot of guys put air bags in the springs to make heavy towing possible

vwbob16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
113 views and very little response ????

dracman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 black out edition
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just did my 4x4. Did a 2/4 only thing is looks like the back is on bump stops or some close lol. Looking for info. Rides rough I guess not. As but think it’s the back bump stops

712AB533-BD81-4CE8-8BA8-27112033742E.jpeg

683BD8B4-FDA6-47E7-9223-03A3B82B8488.png

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I used the BT on my 2011, keep your front factory shocks, the BTs are just to soft for the heavy motor.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dang, I am really on the fence with this right now. I just put on the SRT Reps with Nittos, but Belltech is offering a $150 mail in rebate on this kit through the end of the month... Ugh why are mods so much!!??

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Cause they are worth it....mods are fun lol

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
**UPDATE!!**

I installed a Belltech 965SP drop kit over the past two and a half days. I did not document the process however, I thought I would make a post about problems I ran into. This install seemed to have challenge after challenge, nothing went smooth.

My neighbor and I started the install on Wednesday July 3rd in the late afternoon in my garage. We started with the rear because we figured it would be easier. I did the Mcghaughy's drop springs a little more than a year ago and it was fairly easy. The rear is easier. Problems we had with the rear were the top shock nut. The nut that is on the inside of the truck is very hard to get to, you can't get a socket in there, or a normal sized wrench. The big problem is the frame design and the nut itself is not welded to the frame like on Chevys or Fords. The frame has a bump in it right in front of the nut. After combing through YouTube videos and asking forum members there are a couple of ways to get a grip on the nut. We used a set of small Kobalt vice grips we bought from Lowes. I also saw/read to use a crow's foot, cut the handle off a monkey wrench, and probably the best way would be to just use a stubby wrench. But you can't find a stubby wrench anywhere... One forum member said when he installed the shocks he welded a tab to the nut, like on the track bar which made the install of the new shock easier. It was a fight to get the track bar in the track bar relocation bracket.

We did not get through the install on Wednesday afternoon and continued to Thursday July 4th. The biggest headache was the shock nut. After finishing the rear on Thursday we stopped. About 7 hours of work.

Today's work was much longer. We started about 1145am, and finished about 610pm! I am active duty military, so for those that know, most based have a MWR auto hobby shop. While you can get away with doing the rear in your garage with hand tools, wrenches, and socket sets, I would highly recommended that you do the front somewhere with air wrenches and a spring compressor. The biggest headache, and pain in the @$$ were the damn springs! Getting the springs out, none of the components wanted to move, you'll need a pretty long bar for leverage to get the bottom of the strut out.

Use an impact wrench to initially loosen the 18mm strut nut. When we took the first stock strut and spring to the compressor and compressed the spring we used what I think I remember was an 8mm wrench on the top of the strut pin, and another wrench on the 18mm nut. After several times turning the 18mm wrench to remove the nut, the 8mm strut pin became threaded, and just tuned inside the 8mm wrench. We then tried to use vice grips to hold the top of the strut pin while turning the 18mm nut with a wrench. We got the nut to move a little bit, however it would just turn!

We were in an oh **** moment, and we did not know how we were going to get the nut off. A less than 4 hour job just got a lot longer. Our only option was to try to grind the nut out. So the hobby shop had a 3 inch circular grinder, but no blades. Fortunately the Napa Auto Part on base, right around the corner had them and would deliver to our bay. Napa Auto Parts did not have any upper strut assemblies in stock. The dealership had two upper strut assemblies in stock. The grinder blades showed up pretty quickly, and then while my buddy began work on trying to get the nut grinded out, I called a taxi to take me to the dealership and back to get the upper assemblies in case it got real bad because at this point, I had one good stock strut and spring assembly, and another compromised because the top nut had moved, but was now frozen.

I go to dealer, and go back, while he is still trying to grind out the nut. When I get back he is still working on it and had made some progress, some of the center rubber was cut up. We then took a drill and tried drilling it out. We went through 3 drill bits trying to destroy the nut to get the metal strut assembly plate off. Eventually we drilled and cut enough to get the plate off.

View media item 27885
Some useful hits, when you are taking off the nut, use a deep socket wrench on the small strut peg, and also use a socket that allows the strut peg to pass through the socket wrench for the strut nut. This allows you to have a socket on both the strut peg, and the nut and a lot less risk of stripping the peg.

Putting the new Belltech springs on the Belltech struts did not require much spring compression, however we put them in a spring compressor anyway to get the top nut tight. We had to use a pretty long leverage bar to push the lower control arm down enough to get the stock strut and spring out and the Belltech strut and spring in. I did not cut off the bump stops.

After getting all that in, wow I am impressed! The ride is much smoother than stock, but it is a little bumpy over bumps if that makes sense? Turning is smooth and tighter with not a lot of roll. The front has settled, but I think it will settle just a little bit more, right now it looks very level.

Pictures from a short cruise tonight are below:
View media item 27895View media item 27894View media item 27897View media item 27890View media item 27888View media item 27886

CoreySinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Truck looks great! I like the tire lettering. I live out in the country and drive too much gravel for them to last.

I find the ride rough as hell compared to stock.

Thats crazy the issues you were having.
Mine went in like a breeze. Trackbar was no problem. The front spring and strut assembly fell out after removing the cam bolts. Didnt even take the brakes off, just the upper balljoint nut. The top strut nuts were a bit rusty but came off with an impact. I have a large spring compressor here so no problem. And i had a crow foot for the rear shock nuts. No rear tire removal even. And I did it by myself in about 6 hours taking my time.

I had a bit of camber going on so I maxed the cam bolts out and cranked each tie rod in about 5/16 inch to fix the toe. Drives straight and the steering wheel is straight. To the alignment shop next week just to check it out.

On a sour note... new airlift bag has a hole in the side. Thanks Amazon.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Truck looks great! I like the tire lettering. I live out in the country and drive too much gravel for them to last.

I find the ride rough as hell compared to stock.

Thats crazy the issues you were having.
Mine went in like a breeze. Trackbar was no problem. The front spring and strut assembly fell out after removing the cam bolts. Didnt even take the brakes off, just the upper balljoint nut. The top strut nuts were a bit rusty but came off with an impact. I have a large spring compressor here so no problem. And i had a crow foot for the rear shock nuts. No rear tire removal even. And I did it by myself in about 6 hours taking my time.

I had a bit of camber going on so I maxed the cam bolts out and cranked each tie rod in about 5/16 inch to fix the toe. Drives straight and the steering wheel is straight. To the alignment shop next week just to check it out.

On a sour note... new airlift bag has a hole in the side. Thanks Amazon.

Yup, in the back the wheels came off, and so did the inner wheel well liner.

It is a tiny bit bumpy, going over bumps... if that makes sense? I still think for me it is riding slightly better than stock just cruising on a mostly flat road. I feel like it is definitely more stable and level when making turns. Maybe the memory of the stock ride is going away already lol. Either way so far I am pleased.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is anyone feeling a fluttering feeling with this kit? I am not getting the sway at high speeds, but in mid range from low 50's to 65ish I get a fluttering bounce. I am wondering if it is still my tires?

Anyone have this issue?