Best A/T Tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D F GA RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Looking to replace my Michelin tires on my 19’ 1500 Limited. Want something with a bit more aggressive look with a pretty quiet ride. I had a set of Toyo A/T 35’s on my last RAM. Those were pretty solid. Started to get some road noise after 60+ MPH. Interested to see what people think of Nitto, BF Goodrich, etc vs Toyo. Thanks!

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Looking to replace my Michelin tires on my 19’ 1500 Limited. Want something with a bit more aggressive look with a pretty quiet ride. I had a set of Toyo A/T 35’s on my last RAM. Those were pretty solid. Started to get some road noise after 60+ MPH. Interested to see what people think of Nitto, BF Goodrich, etc vs Toyo. Thanks!

did you have the toyo at 2 extreme? The new toyo at3 is one of the "best" tires for comfort, quiet, traction, quality and killer warranty

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

Do you have a budget in mind?

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Toyo AT II in P-Metric size. Love em for tooling around forest service roads here in the Pacific Northwest. Comfortable on the highway and no issues when towing horse and trailer. Maybe 1/2 gallon less MPG compared to SRA. Have 35,000 miles on em, think they will perform up to 50K then I’ll get something new. Like the looks of Nitto, but watched my brother in law get his F150 stuck in an inch of snow...

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

what size wheel do you have?

OP
OP
D F GA RAM

D F GA RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
22" wheels. Current tires are 285/45/22. Not too concerned about price. Also would like a bit bigger tire. I have the air suspension and don't want to mess with a level / lift kit. I believe you can do it, but just don't want to mess with it. Thanks guys

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am really impressed with the Toyo AT3's. Fairly aggressive look, run quiet on pavement, have very good traction on dry and wet pavement. Haven't used them in mud yet.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
22" wheels. Current tires are 285/45/22. Not too concerned about price. Also would like a bit bigger tire. I have the air suspension and don't want to mess with a level / lift kit. I believe you can do it, but just don't want to mess with it. Thanks guys

if you want to up size you should be able to get away with a 305/45/r22 305/50 may be pushing it with a factory offset. However being a 22 limits your A/T options not a lot Nitto ridge grappler is most likely your only option in that size.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
"Best" is too subjective. I'm currently running Nitto Ridge grapplers and have had great luck with them. Wearing even, quiet, and good grip. I'm getting ready to replace them soon but looks like I'll get ~40K out of them on my heavy cummins so not bad at all for a AT tire. Don't think you can go wrong with Toyo, Cooper, etc. either.

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nitto Ridge Grapplers, I have also had Goodyear Duratracs and Cooper AT3s (on my 4th gens) but the Ridges are the best traction and wear wise. I swapped the Ridges from my 4th gen when I purchased my 5th gen the ORG stock Falkens were showing decent wear at 17k miles. I will add regardless of AT tire really need to commit to tire rotations to keep them evenly worn and cut down on road noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Ask 10 people what's the "best" anything and you'll get 12-15 answers.

So here's mine - I have been very happy with the Nitto Grappler G2s and General Grabber ATx.

Note: my use/desires/expectations may be (and probably are) different than yours. And those three key points are what makes up "best".

OP
OP
D F GA RAM

D F GA RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
cool thanks for the input everyone!

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm happy with the Falken Wildpeaks. Stable, quiet, and amazing in wet weather. They do have a snow rating if that's important to you.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How can we define "best"... best what ? best looking ? best durable sidewalls? best lower price? best lower noise ? best longer lasting? best traction? Best is in the eyes of the beholder.

If i go back to AT, best for me will be BFG KO2 in 315/70/17. I know their weight, i know their sidewalls, i know the way they behave in any driving condition as i've the same model tires 5 times already so i know how many miles i get with them and what to expect out of them overall. Only thing they're a little expensive which is why this time i went with Patagonia MT's, but i keep coming back to KO2's so next time will be the 6th :) the Pats are wearing so damn fast which i kind of knew i just didn't care but more likely i'll need new tires next year. ******** but oh well it's what it's sometimes.

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Go to Tire Rack and read the ratings posted by thousands of users. You will find the Michelin LTX Defender very highly rated.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
When I bought my last 17" tires, I used Tire Rack's search engine. I wanted good wet/dry/snow traction, good braking, good customer reviews, and QUIET going down the highway. Firestone destination AT was number 1, followed closely by Yokohama Geolander ATs. Yokohama's were $30 per tire cheaper, so that's what I bought. 20k miles later and I'm happy with them. They do all the reviews said they wood, including good traction on non-plowed snow covered gravel roads in winter.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned, lots of opinions especially with everyone having some different priorities on preference.

FWIW, Continental A/T has served me well the first 5k miles for a slightly more aggressive tire and surprisingly good smooth ride.

And that's coming from a diehard Michelin guy...which are still an easy choice any day.

Good luck!