Best bang for your buck?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah, so you ordered through dealer to factory? How long did it take?
I only took 5 weeks from the day I ordered it to take delivery. Plus the dealer had it for 4 days to have the hood graphics installed, bed liner and mid flaps installed before I picked it up.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me it was a easy choice when I was looking.. didn’t want all that gawdy chrome I wanted to stick with colormatched bumpers from the get go and didn’t need all the extra features because I would just add what I wanted rather if it was aftermarket or oem. I have always had leather and thought at first I would completely hate the cloth and have Katskin installed but the first time I got in it and didn’t burn the hell out of myself I changed my mind. If you want leather Katskin sell there covers for around $600 on eBay and shouldn’t cost more then $400 to have someone local install them for you. Just can’t beat the price for Express, has the basics that I wanted/need.. Hemi...4x4.. and crew cab.
Love my new '17 Big Horn, plenty of options and chrome.ecb1ff095b95de57c9123f1683561e41.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I felt like the Big Horn was the best bang for buck. Not very many "necessary" options arent included in the package. Yes I dont have leather or proximity lock or pushbutton start. But I do have parking assist, the nice EVIC, 8.4 stereo, etc. More USEFUL options than "nice to have" options.

And I, too, like the chrome! Insisted on a white truck and the chrome looks spectacular on it IMHO.

Aries Rising

Reaction score
Ram Year
199?
Engine
Honestly, re: "The Best Bang for the Buck?"

While I recognize that this is a DODGE FORUM, and from my screen name, it's pretty clear I was set on owning a Dodge, as my lifelong loyalty to Ford disappeared when they started spitting their sparkplugs out of their heads, with NO RECALL, to date, and a cost of $400. per hole, to repair.

So please do NOT "flame" me, as the OP asked for "The Best Bang for the Buck."

Well, I bought a Toyota Tundra and, from my research, even when buying new, they are apparently several thousand dollars cheaper, feature-per-feature, than the domestics, Ram included.

So, re: "The Best Bang for the Buck?"

The Certified, Pre-Owned (i.e., "CPO") 2014 Toyota Tundra I just bought, for $27,500. with 41,000 one-owner miles.

No, wait--I'm serious:

The 5.7L puts out 381 bhp and 401 ft. lbs. of torque.
This drivetrain hasn't been changed in over 10 years, despite the styling's "freshening" in 2014, meaning it's tried and true, with no "Hemi Tick" or sludging issues--no offense. (The Toyota 5.7's are prone to a valve cover leak, but that's covered, for the next five years, under the CPO Platinum warranty.)

Because it's got the Tow Package, this 4X4, EIGHT-FOOT BED, four-door (i.e., "Double Cab") truck has 4.30 diff gears.

Those gears, plus a six-speed, autobox that shifts slicker than the Mercedes' I used to drive, for work, means that it's only turning like 2,000 RPM at 80mph--with a redline north of 5,500. (The top two gears are both overdriven--I believe 6th is like .0589:1 overdrive.)

This truck is a STRIPPER, yet it has:
A/C (manual--no automatic climate control)
PW, PL, remote entry fob
6.3" backup camera
Electronic Stability Control
Traction Control
Brake Assist
9,600lb towing capacity
Trip computer in dash (separate from the backup camera) that gives mpg, miles-to-empty, etc..., et. al....
Limited Slip rear diff (using the ABS running on top of the open diff, so no rearend clutches to wear out).
"Entune" head unit with all kinds of wireless connectivity, most of which I'll never use.

And it does 0-60 in something under 6.5 seconds.
It's also rattle and squeak free.

Because it's a rear leaf spring, it does transmit more road imperfections than the 2009 Ram 1500 shortbox we compared it to. But it also blew that truck away, in terms of acceleration--not even close.

These trucks came with an optional blower, from Toyota, with ZERO internal engine reinforcements, and no apparent problems, so that gives you an idea of the inherent durability of Toyota's 5.7 V-8.

I'm probably forgetting some of it's standard "options," as I'm only on my second tank of gas, but the truck is AWESOME and I positively love it!

I wish you well in your search, but I'm glad I took a look at Toyota, as I'd exhausted all the domestic options first, and found things I didn't like, with all of them.

The cloth seats in this stripper don't even have a manual lumbar adjustment, let alone power controls, or heated seats, etc.... But happily, the split bench is VERY comfortable and, with the column shifter, there's room for my tool/travel bag, right on the floor, in front of me.

Even though it's the "Double Cab" (which is slightly smaller than the Crew Cab) there is a TON of rear seat leg room, and the seat bottom flips up, for tool storage on a nice, flat surface.

The tailgate assist works both up AND down (domestics don't offer this, to my knowledge) and, again, it's an EIGHT FOOT BED, in a (heavy) half ton truck.

Can you even ORDER an EIGHT FOOT BED, in a (domestic) half ton truck?

The wipers are NOT intermittent, but the electronics to change this are located in the stalk, so for $165. for a new stalk, you just change it yourself.

Oh, and the dealer threw in a $275., "fold-a-way" step, that mounts to the left side of the bumper, underneath, so you can still use the step when the tailgate is down.

Added to the $27,500. purchase price were: ( $700. for full-length, cast aluminum, blacked-out, non-skid running boards--which match the blacked-out, non-chrome grill--and another $1,800. for an additional 5 years/125,000 [total] miles of Platinum Warranty--but the CPO comes with "wrap-around" i.e., "bumper-to-bumper" coverage, for the first year--everything but consumables and, oddly, the bumpers--LOL.)

I wish you well, in your search for a Dodge, but I'm in LOVE with this Tundra, and couldn't be happier!

All the best, and Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year to ALL!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deepsleep777

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Honestly, re: "The Best Bang for the Buck?"

While I recognize that this is a DODGE FORUM, and from my screen name, it's pretty clear I was set on owning a Dodge, as my lifelong loyalty to Ford disappeared when they started spitting their sparkplugs out of their heads, with NO RECALL, to date, and a cost of $400. per hole, to repair.

So please do NOT "flame" me, as the OP asked for "The Best Bang for the Buck."

Well, I bought a Toyota Tundra and, from my research, even when buying new, they are apparently several thousand dollars cheaper, feature-per-feature, than the domestics, Ram included.

So, re: "The Best Bang for the Buck?"

The Certified, Pre-Owned (i.e., "CPO") 2014 Toyota Tundra I just bought, for $27,500. with 41,000 one-owner miles.

No, wait--I'm serious:

The 5.7L puts out 381 bhp and 401 ft. lbs. of torque.
This drivetrain hasn't been changed in over 10 years, despite the styling's "freshening" in 2014, meaning it's tried and true, with no "Hemi Tick" or sludging issues--no offense. (The Toyota 5.7's are prone to a valve cover leak, but that's covered, for the next five years, under the CPO Platinum warranty.)

Because it's got the Tow Package, this 4X4, EIGHT-FOOT BED, four-door (i.e., "Double Cab") truck has 4.30 diff gears.

Those gears, plus a six-speed, autobox that shifts slicker than the Mercedes' I used to drive, for work, means that it's only turning like 2,000 RPM at 80mph--with a redline north of 5,500. (The top two gears are both overdriven--I believe 6th is like .0589:1 overdrive.)

This truck is a STRIPPER, yet it has:
A/C (manual--no automatic climate control)
PW, PL, remote entry fob
6.3" backup camera
Electronic Stability Control
Traction Control
Brake Assist
9,600lb towing capacity
Trip computer in dash (separate from the backup camera) that gives mpg, miles-to-empty, etc..., et. al....
Limited Slip rear diff (using the ABS running on top of the open diff, so no rearend clutches to wear out).
"Entune" head unit with all kinds of wireless connectivity, most of which I'll never use.

And it does 0-60 in something under 6.5 seconds.
It's also rattle and squeak free.

Because it's a rear leaf spring, it does transmit more road imperfections than the 2009 Ram 1500 shortbox we compared it to. But it also blew that truck away, in terms of acceleration--not even close.

These trucks came with an optional blower, from Toyota, with ZERO internal engine reinforcements, and no apparent problems, so that gives you an idea of the inherent durability of Toyota's 5.7 V-8.

I'm probably forgetting some of it's standard "options," as I'm only on my second tank of gas, but the truck is AWESOME and I positively love it!

I wish you well in your search, but I'm glad I took a look at Toyota, as I'd exhausted all the domestic options first, and found things I didn't like, with all of them.

The cloth seats in this stripper don't even have a manual lumbar adjustment, let alone power controls, or heated seats, etc.... But happily, the split bench is VERY comfortable and, with the column shifter, there's room for my tool/travel bag, right on the floor, in front of me.

Even though it's the "Double Cab" (which is slightly smaller than the Crew Cab) there is a TON of rear seat leg room, and the seat bottom flips up, for tool storage on a nice, flat surface.

The tailgate assist works both up AND down (domestics don't offer this, to my knowledge) and, again, it's an EIGHT FOOT BED, in a (heavy) half ton truck.

Can you even ORDER an EIGHT FOOT BED, in a (domestic) half ton truck?

The wipers are NOT intermittent, but the electronics to change this are located in the stalk, so for $165. for a new stalk, you just change it yourself.

Oh, and the dealer threw in a $275., "fold-a-way" step, that mounts to the left side of the bumper, underneath, so you can still use the step when the tailgate is down.

Added to the $27,500. purchase price were: ( $700. for full-length, cast aluminum, blacked-out, non-skid running boards--which match the blacked-out, non-chrome grill--and another $1,800. for an additional 5 years/125,000 [total] miles of Platinum Warranty--but the CPO comes with "wrap-around" i.e., "bumper-to-bumper" coverage, for the first year--everything but consumables and, oddly, the bumpers--LOL.)

I wish you well, in your search for a Dodge, but I'm in LOVE with this Tundra, and couldn't be happier!

All the best, and Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year to ALL!

Yes, I did ask best bang for the buck, but it was also limited to options of RAM models. I'm only interested in a RAM, thank you though

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
LOL, you paid 27,500 for a 3 year old truck with 41k on the clock and think thats the best bang for the buck. ?

Paid 27k for my truck brand new with no miles, more hp, better transmission 8sp and looks way better has no tick, no lag and will smoke the tires .. lol.

:)

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have never found Toyota to have be comfortable. Might just be me though.

transam210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always pick the most expensive thing on the lot and buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you going to use it for? Work or pleasure

mattstaub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, this sounds counter intuitive but if you have small kids, go with leather over cloth unless you and your significant other are strict on the no eating in the truck policy. All of the crumbs and crap get ground into the cloth. It looks horrible and eventually smells. With leather, you just wipe it off (albeit, sometimes with leather cleaner), but do much easier. Just my two cents from experience.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Toyota....... Had a friend that bought one..... wish you luck.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Tundra is a fine truck, no doubt about it. However, I would never use the phrase "bang for your buck" when speaking of which. I owned a 2011 5.7L ex cab 8' bed Tundra which I put over 120k miles on prior to owning my Ram. To get into a Tundra comparable to my current Ram (mechanical and finish-wise) I would've had to spend another $10k easily. In my opinion, there is nothing from the prior I preferred over my current. I suppose this is off point...
My two cents as for models and features is try to get a hard look ahead at what upgrades you may really want to do in the future. I have spent quite a lot of money and effort making my low option Big Horn look more like a Laramie (Quad Headlights switched to projectors, non-powered cloth seats to leather, Uconnect 5.0 to 8.4, remote start added, grille swapped, etc.) Long story short: While perhaps specific to my situation, you may be able to save yourself some time and money by going with your desired options from the start.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I personally would skip the sport models. no front tow hooks from the factory frustrates me.

Don’t get too excited about the tow hooks, I’ve seen a lot of guys complain about having to readjust the bumper alignment after using them.

OP, if you plan on lifting it, skip the 1/2 ton & go 3/4. Cheaper lifts, easier to do, no parts to wear quickly like the 1/2 tons (ball joints, TREs, CV axles) because of increased stress of higher angles & tires. Then the added cost of regearing a IFS differential.

A 2” spacer on a 3/4 ton is the cheapest lift at around $75, and you can fit 35”s.

I agree on the Big Horn being best bang, though I would’ve bought a Sport if it was available in ‘14 for the 3/4’s. But I found paintable parts and made my own.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Ball joints cost more on a 2500 and are harder to replace and all the rest of the parts wear out just the same, If your only lifting 2 or 2.5" a 1500 is just as cheap with a set of Bils set a 2.8.

2500 needs new coils or cheap spacers, plus new shocks, plus a adjustable track bar so the axle stays centered under the truck.

Both trucks can fit 35s easy enough, and both trucks need regeared afterwards but the 2500 needs this done more since its geared way to high to start with and the 1500 even less because the 8sp is geared so low to start with.

Although the 2500 will always be taller no question and for hardcore offroading be a better base to start from.

The Express or Sport can have tow hooks added for less than $150 bucks and are not hooked to a bumper just to the frame.

Aries Rising

Reaction score
Ram Year
199?
Engine
LOL, you paid 27,500 for a 3 year old truck with 41k on the clock and think thats the best bang for the buck. ?

Paid 27k for my truck brand new with no miles, more hp, better transmission 8sp and looks way better has no tick, no lag and will smoke the tires .. lol.

Yes my comedic, but apparently reading-challenged friend, I did.

I say "reading-challenged" because you seem to have missed the part about my EIGHT-FOOT BOX. So...tell me about your trucks's EIGHT-FOOT BOX, with four doors, please? Because some of us actually buy trucks to use to HAUL STUFF, and not just as a fashion accessory (as many do--not saying that's you, specifically).

Also, the EIGHT-FOOT BOX is a FACT, as compared to your claim that your RAM has a "better transmission," which is an OPINION--see the difference?

And while I'm not overly-familiar with RAM's offerings, I have to ask--has that "better transmission" been in service, unchanged, for 10+ model years, as has the Tundra's entire drivetrain?

The OP asked about "best bang for the buck." My 4x4 Tundra has 4.30:1 diff ratios, and a 9,600#. Tow ranting--what is your RAM's diff gears?

What is your RAM's towing capacity? (I only ask because I've seen some towing capacities of 1/2 ton RAM's that were, reportedly, something like 6,600 lbs.)

You said "more hp."--but I quoted you the stats on the Tundra--again, 381hp and 401ft.lb. torque. So, please enlighten us, and share your truck's PUBLISHED hp and torque numbers? Because I was here to LEARN, and I'm still here to HELP, and that's why I answered the OP's question.

Perhaps he'd like to know your truck's engine's hp. And tq. I know I would.

Before you spit up on your keyboard, with your "LOL-Ing", you couldn't know this but my Tundra did not go into service until Feb., 2015, making it only two years of useable.

So I'm not sure what you find so funny, but I WILL find it funny if you run away and don't answer my questions about your truck's hp./to., BOX LENGTH, towing capacity, etc....

But I won't find it funny if you continue to exhibit the *****, immature attitude of your original response to mine, as I was only trying to answer the OP's question, as honestly as I could.

And while your at it, please re-read my post and tell me if your truck has all the electronic safety aids that my "3 year old" Tundra does, because I'd be curious to know that, as well.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yes my comedic, but apparently reading-challenged friend, I did.

I say "reading-challenged" because you seem to have missed the part about my EIGHT-FOOT BOX. So...tell me about your trucks's EIGHT-FOOT BOX, with four doors, please? Because some of us actually buy trucks to use to HAUL STUFF, and not just as a fashion accessory (as many do--not saying that's you, specifically).

Also, the EIGHT-FOOT BOX is a FACT, as compared to your claim that your RAM has a "better transmission," which is an OPINION--see the difference?

And while I'm not overly-familiar with RAM's offerings, I have to ask--has that "better transmission" been in service, unchanged, for 10+ model years, as has the Tundra's entire drivetrain?

The OP asked about "best bang for the buck." My 4x4 Tundra has 4.30:1 diff ratios, and a 9,600#. Tow ranting--what is your RAM's diff gears?

What is your RAM's towing capacity? (I only ask because I've seen some towing capacities of 1/2 ton RAM's that were, reportedly, something like 6,600 lbs.)

You said "more hp."--but I quoted you the stats on the Tundra--again, 381hp and 401ft.lb. torque. So, please enlighten us, and share your truck's PUBLISHED hp and torque numbers? Because I was here to LEARN, and I'm still here to HELP, and that's why I answered the OP's question.

Perhaps he'd like to know your truck's engine's hp. And tq. I know I would.

Before you spit up on your keyboard, with your "LOL-Ing", you couldn't know this but my Tundra did not go into service until Feb., 2015, making it only two years of useable.

So I'm not sure what you find so funny, but I WILL find it funny if you run away and don't answer my questions about your truck's hp./to., BOX LENGTH, towing capacity, etc....

But I won't find it funny if you continue to exhibit the *****, immature attitude of your original response to mine, as I was only trying to answer the OP's question, as honestly as I could.

And while your at it, please re-read my post and tell me if your truck has all the electronic safety aids that my "3 year old" Tundra does, because I'd be curious to know that, as well.

Lol guess you have gotten offended by my post.. too bad. lol :signs6::crazy:
Your Toy is not the best bang for the buck being a used truck with 41k on the clock for more money. Dollar for dollar you lose. ;)

Rams 5.7 is 395hp and 415lbs SO IT HAS MORE..lol
The 8sp transmission has already proven itself no question or opinion about it, FACT.

Your truck needs 4:30 gears to make up for the fact the Transmissions out dated technology is geared to high and they had to make up for that so they stuck those low gears in it.

My truck averages 17mpg and can easley get 20mph on the hwy with the bonus of having more gears to choose from while towing.

Nope not a 8ft bed got me there, this has yet to stop me from hauling anything I want or need to haul and being in the construction business my whole life I would guess I haul more often than you do.
But I also have a 20ft car trailer if I need to haul something thats to long for the bed.

I do NOT NEED SAFTEY ADS to drive, I can drive better than most and dont need that crap to drive. ! But yes Ram as all that crap if you are so inclined to have it included on yours.

The gears make the towing capacity difference and with 3:92s it is right up there with your toys capabilities. I believe just over 10,000lbs.

2015 to 2017 or is it to 2018s because they are about to come out.? Dont matter really its still a USED TRUCK with 41k on the clock.

what I find funny is you and your response so butt hurt...

:jester: :crazy:

Merry Christmas :cheers:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tigger54