Best handling upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucemsequimur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Hey all,

I have a 2001 1500 5.9 with 114k miles, and the suspension and overall handling isn't exactly acceptable for a future 400-500hp 408 stroker. I'm looking to stiffen up things a bit and make overall steering, cornering, and handling better. I don't particularly want to raise or lower unless that's going to be beneficial. This truck is a daily driver, rear wheel drive, and when not commuting, it's hauling music equipment or other heavy stuff in the bed, or towing a boat on a trailer. So, what are my options? Is it as simple as changing out a few parts?

Thanks

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
2WD or what do you have? Straight line or road course? Part of me wants to say a 2/4 drop with fat sway bars and stiff dampers front and rear to be honest.

OP
OP
L

lucemsequimur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
2WD, short bed, quad cab. I'd like to have a compromise between straight line handling and cornering. Right now, it loves to wander on the highway a little bit and is downright scary above 70mph. Cornering isn't particularly confidence inspiring and body roll is very pronounced. Seems like the suspension has loosened up with age, I don't know much about these things but I wonder if it's possible that the shocks have softened up a bit after 13 years and 114k miles.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Bigger front swaybar add a rear swaybar, different rate coil springs, poly bushings, performance shocks.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your handing is scary above 70 mph I would start to inspect all of your front end suspension/steering for wear. Ball joints, tie rod ends, hub bearings, shocks, springs, stabilizer links, steering stabilizer, steering column bearing, etc.. If everything is still factory with 114k on it, it is probable that you have multiple worn items that are contributing to the road wandering.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't worry about upgrades yet, replace your idler and pitman arms.
They love to wear out on 2G 2WDs. This will almost definitely make a HUGE improvement.

Once you have it back to stock specs, then start screwing around with drop kits and sway bars. I've had a lot of different parts on my '99 2G. Proper steering is by far the most important 'mod' I ever did!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^What the others said with regard to replacing stuff to stock spec. Shocks definitely as well. I'd say some gas charged shocks would stiffen things up a tad, I know they did in both my dad's 02 1500 and the 76.

OP
OP
L

lucemsequimur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Sorry to revive a two month old thread, but I ended up buying some Gilbert Maxcontrol shock absorbers for the front and rear, and I installed them about a month ago - HUGE improvement. The stock shock absorbers were definitely toast, they barely did anything at all from what I could tell after seeing how soft they were after removal. Sure, I didn't buy anything super high end, but these have a lifetime warranty and they give a decent ride, also, cornering is much much better, and my steering feels much stiffer now, not entirely sure why but it's definitely much better. I may end up doing some upgrades in other areas in the future, but for now I'm pretty happy with how my truck handles. I'll probably start a mod thread in a week or two; I've been doing many small things here and there.