Best Jack for lifted truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcginnis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all. I recently had the maxtrac 7" lift thrown on my truck with the 3" body. The guy that did it forgot to put the rear spacers in. I was wondering what would be the best Jack to use to lift it up and put those in. I lowered my old 2012 Ram no problem but with a big lift I can't use my regular Jack. Didn't know if I had to get a Hi lift jack or find someone with a lift. I do not want to take it back to him because he had my truck for 2 weeks for the lift. Any help will work. Thanks

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
A regular floor jack is still the best thing to use. Your differential isn't much higher off the ground than it was stock. Jack it up under the rear diff, use jack stands to support the frame with blocks of wood under them if needed, then lower the rear diff down to install the spacers. You'll likely need to unbolt the shocks to do this and don't forget to keep and eye on the brake lines to make sure you don't stretch them too far.

OP
OP
Mcginnis

Mcginnis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm guessing I need spring compressors also? Or will I be OK without that

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can rent them but I man handled mine....however I don't condone this behavior lol. It sketched me out.

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Follow on question: what jack do you lifted guys carry in the event you have a flat? When I upgrade to 37s I'm going to buy 4+1, but the spare doesn't do me any good if I can't get the truck off the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I'm guessing I need spring compressors also? Or will I be OK without that

Depends on how far you can drop the rear diff. Really you should be able to drop it far enough that you won't need one but it depends on your brake line length. If in doubt, as Jameson said it's easy and cheap enough to rent them and that way you know you're set.

Follow on question: what jack do you lifted guys carry in the event you have a flat? When I upgrade to 37s I'm going to buy 4+1, but the spare doesn't do me any good if I can't get the truck off the ground.

None. Because I don't carry a spare. A 37" tire definitely won't fit under the truck and I wasn't about to put a big ugly aftermarket tailgate on my truck to put one on or take up all that room in my bed to keep it in all the time.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
None. Because I don't carry a spare. A 37" tire definitely won't fit under the truck and I wasn't about to put a big ugly aftermarket tailgate on my truck to put one on or take up all that room in my bed to keep it in all the time.

Exactly what Brandon said.... I have 37's and carry a tire repair kit.

Adam

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So, hypothetically, if you did choose to carry a spare tire (maybe a camper shell with a tire rack); is there a recommended jack out there? I thought some of you 4WD guys would have run into needing a jack at least once because of all the hardcore stuffs you do. [emoji848]

Think blowout, irreparable tire.

Last edited:

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I never go out alone..

You can try a high jack but I dont know of a spot you can use it on every corner..

Bottle or floor jack with some blocks of wood.

IMO

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can use your factory jack , just Cary the appropriate amount of 4x4 wood blocks previously cut to size

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Dont go off road in retread offbrand tires, will minimize the Anxiety/worry.

IMO

I've got 2WD; the only offroad I see is the occasional median-crossover in a traffic jam[emoji851].

Just like to be prepared for what could happen and I've never done much research on a jack/full size spare. With my luck I'll find myself with a blowout, a 33" OEM spare, and an OEM jack that only extends 11".

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I go off-roading, I go prepared. My truck usage doesn't require me to carry a 37" spare, large jack, or anything like that. When I go off-roading, I go prepared. I'm just not ready to go at the drop of a hat. :)

Adam

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

:word:

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
I blew up a tire on my old 4x4 with 35's and that was a really long night of getting that truck back home. As stated, go prepared