Best oil for 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi guys

I want to know what is the best oil for my Dodge and how many liters I need to buy including a change on th oil filter.

Regards
VTL

OP
OP
V

VTL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
How many liters do I need to buy to replace the oil including the oil filter?

Regards
VTL

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow.... Amazed there's only one response to the question: "what's the best oil" LOL There's usually as many best oils as there are forum members.

OP
OP
V

VTL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Didnt have luck with the Mobil 1 here in Venezuela so I went with Valvoline 5W20 sytn.

Is it normal to be smoking ?

(guys bare with me because I just got the truck and this is my first oil change)

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Regardless of the oil preference, the type specified in all manuals for a 2006 hemi is 5W-20.

Didnt have luck with the Mobil 1 here in Venezuela so I went with Valvoline 5W20 sytn.

Is it normal to be smoking ?

(guys bare with me because I just got the truck and this is my first oil change)

Only if you spilled some and it got on the exhaust system somewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VTL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Its smoking when I accelerate and its smoking quite a bit. Can it be because of the other oil that it had? It was a semi syt and now I went full syt.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where's the smoke coming from? Out the tailpipe?

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A lot of smoke usually means a blown head gasket

OP
OP
V

VTL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It just started when I change the oil. The engine is fine

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you make sure you put a little fresh oil on the oil filter gasket before installing it? Did you over tighten the filter and damage the oil filter gasket? The gasket off the old filter was not still on the oil filter adapter, was it?

Smoking only when you accelerate and it not having done it prior to the oil change leads me to believe it is filter related.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Its smoking when I accelerate and its smoking quite a bit. Can it be because of the other oil that it had? It was a semi syt and now I went full syt.

Even if you went from dino to full syn that wouldn't matter. Sounds like either the drain plug is loose enough to leak, incorrect installation of filter or you had a leak somewhere waiting to happen and the full syn was thin enough to slip out. Doesn't usually happen on more modern engines.

OP
OP
V

VTL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Did you make sure you put a little fresh oil on the oil filter gasket before installing it? Did you over tighten the filter and damage the oil filter gasket? The gasket off the old filter was not still on the oil filter adapter, was it?

Smoking only when you accelerate and it not having done it prior to the oil change leads me to believe it is filter related.

I didnt have tools here so I went to a shop to do it. but It looks like the oil filter is leaking. I will leave it and see it tomorrow morning ...

I was checking the guy changing the oil, he did put new oil in the filter but h was quite slow putting the oil filter...

OP
OP
V

VTL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So this morning I looked all over and even a drop of oil.
Can this be because of the Oxygen sensors that I need to replace? what I dont understand is that before the oil change wasent smoking

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this morning I looked all over and even a drop of oil.
Can this be because of the Oxygen sensors that I need to replace? what I dont understand is that before the oil change wasent smoking

Can you rephrase your post, please? I am not understanding what you are trying to ask.

OP
OP
V

VTL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok So need to replace the rings. already ordered 350 bucs on parts to take advantage on opening the engine. always a risk buying a used car but at least I got it a bit cheaper. But yes with this now it was the discount money...

Overkillphil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this thread is 2 months old, but I wanted to add that it would be a smart move on these hemis to go to a larger capacity oil filter like a Fram PH8A (for Mobil it will be M1-301). This will give you 1/2 quart additional oil capacity plus alot more filter media.