Best programmer for the 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Im sure this has been covered so please don't beat me up too bad. I checked the stickies and page after page of threads and cannot find any info. That being said I am looking to put a programmer on my 2018 2500 with the 6.4. Im looking to disable the MDS and hopefully add a little MPG (I know its a pipedream) I do not need a lot more power but it would be nice. Its been a long time since Ive chipped a truck so I need some advice.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well i just did this. I got a diablosport i3 and you have to get an unlocked pcm or have yours unlocked. mine has a problem and diablosports support sucks. i might just box it all back up and get a refund.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Asks your tuner what he uses.

OP
OP
F

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't have a tuner Im looking to do this myself. like I said its been a long time. Im starting to think its not like it used to be where you buy a programmer with tunes already installed and just plug it in and follow the prompts?

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I don't have a tuner Im looking to do this myself. like I said its been a long time. Im starting to think its not like it used to be where you buy a programmer with tunes already installed and just plug it in and follow the prompts?
it is after you have an unlocked pcm.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

If you don't have a tuner writing you tunes,you're pretty well stuck with a Diablo and it's canned tunes.HP is the better tuning option,but if you aren't familiar with writing tunes,you'll want to find either a shop who is familiar with HP or go with one of the email tuners who uses HP as their tuning platform.I think your 18 will also require the bypass cable along with the unlocked PCM. The other option you might want to look into is a Pulsar piggyback tuner,it might do what you want,if you're not looking for all out performance

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Diablo's Edge Pulsar does what I wanted. Canned tunes, in-line mod ECM. Minimal screwing around.

If you want every microinch-ounce of torque from the engine, then you'll need a custom tune & ECM. Guys talk about HemiFever Custom Tune being good. Much more $$$, obviously.

All depends what you want - except for "something for nothing".

OP
OP
F

ffpmason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you Wild one and Hemimann you guys have me pointed in the direction I want to go. I just want a little more power disable the ads and like i said maybe more power.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok so diablo sport is out

Naww...don't be so quick to dismiss DiabloSport programmers and tunes.

I've used their products (programmers & custom dyno tunes) on three Ram trucks and one Chrysler car with great results. I've loaded tunes, had a custom tune done on a dyno, logged engine performance with products, loaded custom tunes I got via email and never, ever had a problem. The results, especially with the custom tunes, were impressive.

A complication for 2015+ MOPAR vehicles is PCM encryption. But that's been solved (you trade in your stock PCM for one with the encryption removed or buy the blank one and keep yours if you wish) and you can tune your truck as wild or mild as you wish.

One thing to remember is that there is a step process involved that must be followed while logging and tuning regardless of what products you use.