Best was to make an old Ram a daily driver?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
/6
20171123_151055_zpsebsmvumi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] New here. For Christmas, I bought my dad an '83 Ram with the /6. 94k miles. Nice truck, but now it's time to fix it up. My dad wants to make it a reliable daily driver. What's the best way to go about This? Should we buy a wrecked model and use the entire powertrain? Any models that work Best? Or should we beef up what's in it or swap to a 318 or larger? I guess I'm looking for what would be the best route of getting the ol' ******* the road with the reliability of a newer vehicle? Any help, suggestions are appreciated!

20180131_023854.jpg

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it really depends on what you want. i am guessing the biggest thing you are probably wanting for it is fuel injection. it really doesn't make it any more reliable than carb but it makes it more drivable. as far as drive train goes these things are pretty tough as long as you take care of them and it can be just as reliable as a new. i have been daily driving 25+ year old vehicles for over 7 years now and still not that bad as long as you got a solid base to start with. as far as the engine goes it is really up to you. if you are going to do an engine swap it might be worth looking for a 91-93 parts truck to get either a 318 or 360 with a 46RH transmission. the 46rh transmission is better for a daily driver. it would be nice if you can get your hands on a 318 or 360 magnum to go in front of the 46RH but a 318LA/360LA would work ok too especially if you drop an aftermarket fuel injection setup like the Fi-Tech setup. if you are willing to spend enough money you could even go with a newer hemi

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd go with the 360/46RH powertrain swap, fuel injection and of course do any other repairs that may be needed.

Synthetics in the transmission and differentials will help keep those boxes cooler and it will reduce friction caused parasitic drag, which can have an impact on MPG.

DustyDog99

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D250, 1986 W150
Engine
1985:318-2bbl 1986:318-4bbl
The /6 is an extremely reliable torque monster. I have seen several /6 with 200000 miles on them and just starting to smoke. Go thru it and replace normal maintenance items, go to stock size tires, and go to 14-16 degrees of initial timing. If it has lean burn and your state has no emission regs, swap it for an earlier electronic ignition. Same with the exhaust, get rid of the cat if u can and install a low restriction exhaust. You will enjoy years of trouble free driving and excellent gas mileage.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
360 V-8 with the factory auto. Can't remember the trans #. Inexpensive to either purchase new or rebuild a block. Same with trans. Difference between 318 and 360 cost, not worth discussing. Looking at the great condition of the truck, consider what your budget is. If budget is fat, 5.7 hemi, 45 trans. Either way, he will have a great truck. Will also need to replace the factory shackle bolts in the springs. Add a sway bar to rear. Look at Hellwig Visalia Ca. Add mechanical gauges for water, oil and trans temp. (factory idiot gauges) Mirrors can be replaced with some very nice aftermarket choices. Damn nice truck, well worth investing in. The forum would like updates as you go.