Beware: amateur at work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerickE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Gasser
When I bought my truck, they did not yet have their paint people come out. This was a landscaping truck and needed some love, mostly on the passenger side. They gave me about a 500 dollar discount to atone for the paint and I was good with that. I tried to find some places locally to do paint correction, and they wanted 750-1250 bucks to do it. Which, is not an unreasonable amount - let me be clear on that. It's a massive amount of work.

I've been working on polishing and such since I was in high school, but black stuff scares me. So easy to see swirl marks, and it's a new-to-me $40k investment. So, I wanted to ensure I was going to have it done right. When the 'right' way was out of my price range, I did it 'my' way. lol

This is all from harbor freight, and I spent about 200 bucks on necessities. 2 each of compound pads, polishing pads, and finishing pads for my buffer. A bottle of meguires 110, 210, and their ceramic hybrid wax. A box of meguires claybar system, and a pack of microfiber towels. I probably could have cut it a bit more with the compound, but I was aiming for no discoloration of my pads - ie no paint remove, just smoothing the clearcoat out. I think it turned out pretty well. I didnt think my paint had the metal flake in it, but indeed it does. It's been crap weather so I havent had an opportunity to get a nice handwash done, and removal of excess compound with a toothbrush but its an 8/10 right now I think. And in saving that money at the paint correction shops...I'm good with 8/10.

Before
20230101_124459.jpg
After
20230101_125426.jpg

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Nice work - want to do mine? After 12 years my 2010 is showing age lines

OP
OP
D

DerickE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Gasser
Honestly, I'd love to do some more 'testing.' It's been awhile since I poked around with polish and compound...but the thing is cars, and trucks, nowadays dont have a flat panel on them. Looking at my 2019 it looks like a typical pickup truck but there are so many curves and body lines that you dont see unless youre working on it. Makes the job a bit harder.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great! Also Koch Chemie is a great option as well. I used H9 and F6 on my truck. My Meguiars go to products are 105 and 205.