bicycle Vs Ram.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have never even remotely heard of anything called "stop as yield" that allows the bicyclist to treat a stop sign as a yield sign, and I worked 30 years in LE. A bicyclist is to be considered a vehicle just like a car or truck. A stop sign means "Stop", not "Slow Down". Now, if the cyclist can do that for 2 seconds without putting their feet down then that's fine. If they "roll the stop", they're getting a ticket. Or they're getting run over...or both.

And I was never taught that in driver's ed when I took it in the 70's.
Bicycle laws have changed in many states. I recently learned that cyclists can ride through a crosswalk and get the same protections as if they were a pedestrian in my state. When I was riding bicycles back in the 70's and 80's that wasn't the case. To be considered a pedestrian you had to walk your bike through the crosswalk. The stop as yield thing is new to me as well. When I was in high school I actually got pulled over when riding when I did that exact thing...treated the stop sign as a yield. Scared the crap out of me when he hit his siren lol.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I have never even remotely heard of anything called "stop as yield" that allows the bicyclist to treat a stop sign as a yield sign, and I worked 30 years in LE.

Definitely a thing, the "Idaho stop" as they were the first state to change the law. It's not a majority of states, but it's an increasing number of states allowing it. Also the "dead red" law, which applies to motorcycles as well. It lets a cyclist (motor or pedal) treat a red light like a stop sign if the light doesn't turn green for 2 minutes for them. Reasoning being they aren't big enough to trip the sensor to cycle to green and they are stuck with no legal option without a dead red law.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Relying on the vehicles sensors to warn of bicycles or even motorcycles is probably not the best policy. As a bicyclist I believe it is very important to ride as though I am a vehicle. Be visible and predictable. At the same time, I expect drivers to also be predictable and I will hold until I get the eye contact I need to ensure clear communication of intent by both. For either driver to not do that is an accident about to happen. That said, many bicyclists are bad behavers and that is a shame that makes us all look bad and puts many people at risk. Make certain as a driver that you understand the rolling stop rules for bicyclists at stop signs. Currently the following states have stop as yield laws for bicycles: Idaho, Delaware, Colorado (opt in), Arkansas, Oregon, Washington. The following states have legislation proposed in 2021: Virginia, New York, Colorado (making it statewide standard), California, Utah. The law sunsets in Delaware this year but may be extended. "Stop as yield" basically means that bicyclists can treat stop signs as yield signs just like we all learned back in drivers ed before we got our drivers licenses. To do that correctly though that means the bicyclist should be acting like a car in traffic and when it is their turn they can roll through the stop sign if it is clear. It doesn't apply to some yahoo riding on a sidewalk, against traffic, etc. However, if you hit and injure/kill that bad behaver the vehicle driver is going to still go through hell unfortunately.
Despite all of today's safety features, traffic related deaths are about the same as they were 30 years ago despite a reduced rate. Maybe these safety features have had the unintentional effect of convincing people that less driver attention and use of caution is necessary.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107077 miles.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bicycle laws have changed in many states. I recently learned that cyclists can ride through a crosswalk and get the same protections as if they were a pedestrian in my state. When I was riding bicycles back in the 70's and 80's that wasn't the case. To be considered a pedestrian you had to walk your bike through the crosswalk. The stop as yield thing is new to me as well. When I was in high school I actually got pulled over when riding when I did that exact thing...treated the stop sign as a yield. Scared the crap out of me when he hit his siren lol.
If a person is on a bike, why would they need to use the crosswalk anyway? If the light is green, just continue on riding as usual to the side of the outside lane. Trying to ride a bike through a mass of pedestrians in a crosswalk would be nigh on impossible anyway.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If a person is on a bike, why would they need to use the crosswalk anyway? If the light is green, just continue on riding as usual to the side of the outside lane. Trying to ride a bike through a mass of pedestrians in a crosswalk would be nigh on impossible anyway.
Mass of pedestrians LOL. That doesn't happen where I live. Small town with one main street and three traffic lights that only change for side streets when a vehicle is sensed. If someone on a bicycle wants to cross that main street "legally" they either have to go to an intersection without a traffic light or press the button to get the light to change. It actually happens quite a bit, especially in the summer months.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mass of pedestrians LOL. That doesn't happen where I live. Small town with one main street and three traffic lights that only change for side streets when a vehicle is sensed. If someone on a bicycle wants to cross that main street "legally" they either have to go to an intersection without a traffic light or press the button to get the light to change. It actually happens quite a bit, especially in the summer months.
My little burg has one light - 2 miles from me out on the highway next the the local grocery store. I was more thinking of a large city, like LA, where there may actually be more than 2 people in a crosswalk at the same time. Or have a crosswalk at all, which my village doesn't even have.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My little burg has one light - 2 miles from me out on the highway next the the local grocery store. I was more thinking of a large city, like LA, where there may actually be more than 2 people in a crosswalk at the same time. Or have a crosswalk at all, which my village doesn't even have.
Yeah, I try to never think of cities like L.A. :cheers: