Bilstein 5100 issue maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If your truck is not lifted and you are not lifting it.... and just changing out shocks..... you will need to order the 4600s for the front and 5100s for the rear. Bilstein does not have a part number for front shocks for an unlifted Ram. I just changed out the Monroe’s I put on here about 6 months ago..... horrible ride with Monroe’s. The bilsteins are so comfortable and the ride is really awesome.
Depends on if he has a 4x4 and wants to level it (or have the option to level it). If so, if will be 5100s all around.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Depends on if he has a 4x4 and wants to level it (or have the option to level it). If so, if will be 5100s all around.

It is very confusing trying to find and order Bilstein fronts..... On CarID when you are trying to find the 5100 style for a 4X4 it always dumps you back down to the rear shocks only with no part number available for 2004 dodge ram 1500 4X4
It might be different for newer trucks but i finally threw in the towel after trying to communicate with several different morons in sales and customer service at CarID and bought the 4600 for the front. they are both monotube design and not much difference between the 4600 and 5100.
I really wanted to get the 5100 for the front of my truck as well because my OCD and i have been squabbling about it now for a week....LOL

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I just changed mine yesterday On my 12 1500 slt and the previous owner stripped the Allen slot on the top of one.. took a few hours but I finally had to cut the nut with a cutoff wheel. The 2nd one took about 20 minutes to take off the coil and unscrew the nut and install it on the new one. I noticed in the rear I have 5125-33-185569 not 5100.. what’s the difference? Length?

The 51 at the beginning of your model number shows that it is a 5100 series shock.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It is very confusing trying to find and order Bilstein fronts..... On CarID when you are trying to find the 5100 style for a 4X4 it always dumps you back down to the rear shocks only with no part number available for 2004 dodge ram 1500 4X4
It might be different for newer trucks but i finally threw in the towel after trying to communicate with several different morons in sales and customer service at CarID and bought the 4600 for the front. they are both monotube design and not much difference between the 4600 and 5100.
I really wanted to get the 5100 for the front of my truck as well because my OCD and i have been squabbling about it now for a week....LOL
If I'm not mistaken the 5100 and 4600 on the front are essentially the same but the 5100 is height adjustable.

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
If I'm not mistaken the 5100 and 4600 on the front are essentially the same but the 5100 is height adjustable.

I'm not sure about different years or the 5100 series that are adjustable..... but the ones i installed were not adjustable.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If your truck is not lifted and you are not lifting it.... and just changing out shocks..... you will need to order the 4600s for the front and 5100s for the rear. Bilstein does not have a part number for front shocks for an unlifted Ram. I just changed out the Monroe’s I put on here about 6 months ago..... horrible ride with Monroe’s. The bilsteins are so comfortable and the ride is really awesome.

I plan to do a 2" leveling lift in the front with the 5100s. That is it. I'm also mulling over air bags for the rear to help with load leveling when I'm pulling a trailer. Besides that the RAM is just a passenger vehicle most of the time. Just noticed Rock Auto doesn't have Bilsteins anymore. That sucks. They had a great price on 5100s.