Bilstein 5100 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Wilkinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello I'm new to the forum, I've worked on my truck myself for a long time but I've never messed with suspension. My stock shocks started going out at 100,000 miles. I decided to go with the bilstein 5100 shocks. I Installed the rear, went great. The front not so much. I thought I could just drop the shock, but that didn't work. I took off the sway bar link, I changed the upper control arm. Took off hub and brakes. Well the bolt at the top of the shock wouldn't come off. I had to go get a flow through socket set to hold the shaft of the shock to get it off. Well I was gonna set the bilstein's on the middle groove. I thought that would give me a little lift. I couldn't compress the spring enough for that groove and I was up against the clock to get my truck back together, so I went with 1 groove up from the bottom. Well I didn't have time to do the other side last night before work today. Now the side I did is higher than the rear of my truck. I am unsure why that might be. I thought the second from the highest would make it level. Am I missing something? Could it be because I only did one side so far? I really would like to just do the other side the same way but not if it makes it higher than the rear. Can someone with some experience with installing these on a stock truck give me some insight please. Thanks so much

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pictures help. You may have installed the lower spring perch upside down

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Going to need photos, one groove from the bottom fork is only .7" lift so it sounds like you may have the snap ring seat for the lower spring perch upside down.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Lower spring perch is upside down. Also. Did you put the washer on the shaft before installing the upper cup or did you install it under the nut? If you zoom you can see the spring perch on mine is open down not open up.

7F3F12E3-D7B3-452B-8A1B-F38617FA682F.jpeg

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
5100s are not something you want to skip the directions on, make sure you move the snap ring up a couple notches and ensure the washer is correct aha

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's ok the shop that installed my lift initially installed my rear shocks upside down.

If they're Bilsteins remember that Bilstein shocks are always made to install with the logo text upright. So the rear Bilstein shocks that come with the Mopar 2" lift are deliberately made to mount with the shaft pointing down.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
If they're Bilsteins remember that Bilstein shocks are always made to install with the logo text upright. So the rear Bilstein shocks that come with the Mopar 2" lift are deliberately made to mount with the shaft pointing down.

Yes thank you that is the reason I pointed it out in the first place. I had to go in and flip them. Then eventually replacing them with a reservoir version.

My bilsteins were not part of a mopar lift kit.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My bilsteins were not part of a mopar lift kit.

Sorry I was not clear there, I didn't assume yours were part of that kit, it seems very few people bought it anyway. I only mentioned it because it happens to include Bilsteins built for shaft-down installation so it made a good example of a real application relevant to the topic.