Bilstein 6112 and superlift 4” problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did this get figured out
No but rough country does sell a different style knuckle for their 6” lift that does clear the spring but my cv axle was binding bad with that knuckle. I ended up just living with it. It’s probably not going to see that issue 99% of the time so I’m not worried about it. It’s probably due to the fact I’m using the 6112 bilsteins and not the 5100’s that the kit calls for. I do have another issue that has happened. When braking mostly at low speeds or turning at low speeds on uneven terrain I got a knocking noise that is felt in the brake pedal. I did my brakes and rotors and didn’t change it but i feel like it’s the stock sway bar links the bushings look shot I had suspension max ones when I didn’t have the 4” lift but had to go back to the stock ones so I could use the kits extensions. They don’t look so hot so I’m going to remove them tomorrow and see if the noise is gone. If that’s the issue looks like I’ll be buying some new 4” suspension max sway bar links lol

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info
Just to clarify when I said I’m living with it I returned the rough country knuckles and just put the superlift knuckles back on. If I do get into that situation I feel it would be a lot less of a problem with it hitting the spring than putting some serious power down to an axle that is binding.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
No but rough country does sell a different style knuckle for their 6” lift that does clear the spring but my cv axle was binding bad with that knuckle. I ended up just living with it. It’s probably not going to see that issue 99% of the time so I’m not worried about it. It’s probably due to the fact I’m using the 6112 bilsteins and not the 5100’s that the kit calls for. I do have another issue that has happened. When braking mostly at low speeds or turning at low speeds on uneven terrain I got a knocking noise that is felt in the brake pedal. I did my brakes and rotors and didn’t change it but i feel like it’s the stock sway bar links the bushings look shot I had suspension max ones when I didn’t have the 4” lift but had to go back to the stock ones so I could use the kits extensions. They don’t look so hot so I’m going to remove them tomorrow and see if the noise is gone. If that’s the issue looks like I’ll be buying some new 4” suspension max sway bar links lol

Dude that sucks. I'm not surprised, as these 6112s are huge, but still. The amount of time you'll spend in that particular scenario will be so little realistically you should be ok. I ran into similar clearance issues when I messed with my setup. Cv boots hit the lower mounts for the 6112s and LCA so I had to clearance everything. Like ya said yours still better off than a binding axle.

Did you find the knocking?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Just to clarify when I said I’m living with it I returned the rough country knuckles and just put the superlift knuckles back on. If I do get into that situation I feel it would be a lot less of a problem with it hitting the spring than putting some serious power down to an axle that is binding.
Btw, how did those rear coils hold up. Mine sagged about 3-4"

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Btw, how did those rear coils hold up. Mine sagged about 3-4"

so far the coils from this 4" kit are way beefier than the superlift ones i've had on before. No luck with the knocking. Kinda just gonna try and ignore it i have no idea what it is the whole front suspension is tight.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm surprised the 6112's are causing issues, I have them with my 6" BDS and I haven't experienced any rubbing

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Just read something about the steering intermediate shaft I might have to play around with that
Yea, I killed those coils I had from superlift. Idk if it was a bad batch or what but they sagged like 4" from their original free length.

That's so weird that a random clunking started. I know the intermediate on my 2006 Cummins had exactlt what you describe, and it was the intermediate shaft. Just wasn't aware it was an issue on these trucks. It's gotta be something stupid if all the obvious things check out. On my 06 I used to unbolt it from steering box, slide it down and grease it. Just tie the steering wheel off to the passenger door so the wheel doesn't spin and ***** the clock spring.....ask me how I know

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, I killed those coils I had from superlift. Idk if it was a bad batch or what but they sagged like 4" from their original free length.

That's so weird that a random clunking started. I know the intermediate on my 2006 Cummins had exactlt what you describe, and it was the intermediate shaft. Just wasn't aware it was an issue on these trucks. It's gotta be something stupid if all the obvious things check out. On my 06 I used to unbolt it from steering box, slide it down and grease it. Just tie the steering wheel off to the passenger door so the wheel doesn't spin and ***** the clock spring.....ask me how I know

9AEF2965-465B-4C57-85D9-4B41D9E918D3.png
When I looked up a steering shaft issue someone posted this about their ram 1500 same symptoms. This was on his receipt when it left dealer.

1645DF82-C66B-489F-9136-469CDC774DE3.png