Bizarre - runs with no key in it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sevenHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Earlier today I started up and heard a high pitched whine from the engine compartment;
I popped the hood and tried to find where the whine was coming from, so I shut it off.
It didn't shut of immediately - kind of hesitated - then shut off.

I checked all fluids - levels were good - didn't change anything.

Restarted - everything was normal - no whine.

Later today I started up - whining is back, so since I know all fluids are good, I'm gonna try just shutting off and starting again.

So I turn the key to shut off and its still running.?!

I turn the key more and actually remove it from the ignition lock - its still running, roughly, but still running.

I put the key back in and turn it even further back to ACC and then it shuts off.

I wait a bit dealing with the weirdness.

I restart - everything normal - no whine.

The key feels normal turning in the lock every time.

My rough guess is that the electrical switch part of the is whats goofing up here, the whine is coming from a still engaged starter - engaged because a goofy switch is telling it to stay in start while the physical key is in the run position.

Another guess is that the normal physical feedback on the key is coming from the lock mechanism not the switch, which is why it feels normal but acts weird.

Any similar experiences out there?

Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I had the same problem, I could start my truck with no key, on my 98 1500. It fell out of the lock cylinder while going down the road, and I was in a daze of weirdness also. But I fixed it by replacing the lock cylinder, didn't have a problem since. You might need to replace the actual key starter/lock cylinder, and see what that does. (I acutally used this to my advantage b/c I didn't need a key to start it, it was so stripped out).

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The ignition switch is common to have the problem of being able to turn without the key in it. Even mine has this issue, but like Mack said it can have its perks.
In my personal experience however I've never seen any cases of the starter staying on or it staying on after turning the key to shut off. I would wager your probably right, an electrical problem seems to be the culprit. However don't simply take my word for it. I'd see some other opinions from fellow members of the site, as again I've never seen this problem before.