****** black heart shorty headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I used copper gasket maker that withstands the exhaust temps at the head of my two stroke sleds ~1500 degrees.

Yea, I haven’t used copper rtv in years but it might be a good idea to pick some up lol.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yea, I haven’t used copper rtv in years but it might be a good idea to pick some up lol.

I use it in the spray and in the brush n jar styles. I prefer it over most other sealants especially on heads intakes exhausts and other parts where the gasket is really thin. Now on stuff like water pumps I’ll use red or black rtv.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Been driving with it, doesn’t seemed to have cracked again. Might try out the remflex gaskets or see how I can
Combine the felpros head shield and remflex, I get a light tick on initial startup but no leaks that I can see or feel. I can hear exhaust noise through the header on the driver side under high load in a high gear like giving it medium gas but not enough for the trans to downshift... almost like a lugging. It could be pinging I wasn’t hearing before or as noticeable with the thick manifolds. I do run the cheapest 87 pump I can find.

I am getting the best fuel mileage I ever have tho. Today’s commute 23.1-23.4mpg and it was raining so slower than normal. This is with the trans in manual 8 so no MDS. The drop in mileage was traffic as u can see the average speed dropped as well.

972BD781-48AC-4D97-8D2E-F032D48453B7.jpeg

7BCD1FEA-297E-4B8C-A8C8-ACB508FC5637.jpeg

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what did you do to secure the dipstick? also was the length of your bolts 30mm or 25mm

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
what did you do to secure the dipstick? also was the length of your bolts 30mm or 25mm
Header bolts are 30mm UHL, thats not including the thick washer they provide.

Dipstick is secured to the aluminum tubing right next to it, some 4ply silicone hose that I cut wraps around the tubing and a few spot ties keep it from moving more. Remember the dipstick is still bolted to the block all the way down at the pan, the upper mounting just keeps it still for people to pull the dipstick out etc.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Am I loosing my $hit? I just looked up ultra copper RTV and that stuff is only rated to 700*F... which is *50 less than the red RTV I just used. Seems like only one brand of RTV is capable of 2000*F intermittent by permatex and its called like exhaust sealant and its almost permanent lol.

Activate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 1998
Engine
360 and 410 with SC
Still debating about headers..since i live in Europe they must be good because warranty is a thing..and also not to pricey...
Witch brand are the favorite?

Thanks,

Erik.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Still debating about headers..since i live in Europe they must be good because warranty is a thing..and also not to pricey...
Witch brand are the favorite?

Thanks,

Erik.

No experience with anything but the hookers but seems everyone likes the JBAs ceramic coated and the ARH I think they are called.

Activate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 1998
Engine
360 and 410 with SC
Thanks. only problem is that they are verry expensive...shipping also and not to forget 25% importtaxes here in The Netherlands... if I can find a gooed use set would be nice.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Update. Put 1000miles on it since the last 2 weeks or so. I got a little tick on the pass side again but it doesn’t sound like a cracked primary. My guess is the warped flange and the stock felpro gasket isn’t sealing. Driver side had a ting to it on high load that I could hear inside the truck with the radio off.

Today I said screw it and I was going to give it my last chance and started pulling the headers. I went to the parts store and found no rtv capable of 2000*F temps, copper is only good to 650 and the stuff I had on it was 700 intermittent and it turned to dust. Ordered this stuff on amazon for $1.66 or something insane from permatex and it’s exhaust sealer and it’s good for up to 2000*F! I got 2 3oz tubes for like $3.50 or something as an add on item and it arrived in 24hrs. I was going to use that to seal the collectors for a leak free seal.

I pulled the pass header, no cracks and no real visible signs of leaks but I knew it was around the back primary. To my shock I saw that hat might have caused or not helped it. The stock style gaskets have rivets that hold 3 layers of gaskets in alignment, MLS on the head side, then Heat shield, then graphite gasket material. The aftermarket headers have a flat flange and the rivit actually hits the flange and deforms the gasket which doesn’t seem to be helping sealing. The OEM manifolds are recessed between primaries so the rivit doesn’t affect anything. So I went to put the remflex gasket on and got the header bolted down finger tight.

Now I went to the driver side and started pulling the header. With a small dental mirror I scanned the primaries for crack and I saw one on the rear primary that looked like it was just forming. It almost looked like a crack in just the paint, I pulled the header out and saw the inside of the weld in the coating also chipped which tells me the crack is either just breaking through or is close. This is on the outer edge of the weld. So now I’m sitting there like WTF do I do. I haven’t gotten any Argon for welding yet at my new house and I haven’t setup any 220 wiring for the TIG yet. So I say screw it and threw the stuff in the back of the truck and will weld it tmrw at my rents place the next state over when I’m there for work. I threw the stock manifold on and stock gasket and bolted it all back together. I torqued down the pass side header but didn’t put the exhaust sealant on the collector bc I’m gona wait till I have the other header in and do a final seal up when I can pull the ypipe off and put the sealant on.

I finished up and started the truck and it’s very quiet. The driver side manifold u hear nothing and the pass side I can hear the engine and exhaust ticking away due to the thinner metal but no leaks (much quieter than before). I knew the remflex would work but they are a 1time use and not cheap so I wanted to make sure it was my last resort.

So I plan to do the header welding tmrw and maybe can get it all on this weekend. I personally have learned that stock gasket doesn’t work great and now that I know about the rivit thing I would not run them on any aftermarket header. Putting the remflex on would have been better first but I would have probably destroyed it taking it off so many times to fix the cracking and would have needed to buy more @ $35 each plus shipping. This is absolutely my last fix for these headers, if it decides to crack again I’m going back to stock. The $400 ish on the headers if I can get them returned would be put towards maybe a large sander I can plane the stock manifolds down to or who knows. Guys up here in CT want $$$ to deck manifolds.

3C2EB577-AE72-4EA4-A579-294C3D56C83A.jpeg

46D8741A-C279-436D-B7F3-7C551DB891C1.jpeg

C00ADAC6-2F9E-468B-95E7-EAAFF15A412E.jpeg

C6EF22DE-BB65-4517-BB27-115D39D11E3E.jpeg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Update. Put 1000miles on it since the last 2 weeks or so. I got a little tick on the pass side again but it doesn’t sound like a cracked primary. My guess is the warped flange and the stock felpro gasket isn’t sealing. Driver side had a ting to it on high load that I could hear inside the truck with the radio off.

Today I said screw it and I was going to give it my last chance and started pulling the headers. I went to the parts store and found no rtv capable of 2000*F temps, copper is only good to 650 and the stuff I had on it was 700 intermittent and it turned to dust. Ordered this stuff on amazon for $1.66 or something insane from permatex and it’s exhaust sealer and it’s good for up to 2000*F! I got 2 3oz tubes for like $3.50 or something as an add on item and it arrived in 24hrs. I was going to use that to seal the collectors for a leak free seal.

I pulled the pass header, no cracks and no real visible signs of leaks but I knew it was around the back primary. To my shock I saw that hat might have caused or not helped it. The stock style gaskets have rivets that hold 3 layers of gaskets in alignment, MLS on the head side, then Heat shield, then graphite gasket material. The aftermarket headers have a flat flange and the rivit actually hits the flange and deforms the gasket which doesn’t seem to be helping sealing. The OEM manifolds are recessed between primaries so the rivit doesn’t affect anything. So I went to put the remflex gasket on and got the header bolted down finger tight.

Now I went to the driver side and started pulling the header. With a small dental mirror I scanned the primaries for crack and I saw one on the rear primary that looked like it was just forming. It almost looked like a crack in just the paint, I pulled the header out and saw the inside of the weld in the coating also chipped which tells me the crack is either just breaking through or is close. This is on the outer edge of the weld. So now I’m sitting there like WTF do I do. I haven’t gotten any Argon for welding yet at my new house and I haven’t setup any 220 wiring for the TIG yet. So I say screw it and threw the stuff in the back of the truck and will weld it tmrw at my rents place the next state over when I’m there for work. I threw the stock manifold on and stock gasket and bolted it all back together. I torqued down the pass side header but didn’t put the exhaust sealant on the collector bc I’m gona wait till I have the other header in and do a final seal up when I can pull the ypipe off and put the sealant on.

I finished up and started the truck and it’s very quiet. The driver side manifold u hear nothing and the pass side I can hear the engine and exhaust ticking away due to the thinner metal but no leaks (much quieter than before). I knew the remflex would work but they are a 1time use and not cheap so I wanted to make sure it was my last resort.

So I plan to do the header welding tmrw and maybe can get it all on this weekend. I personally have learned that stock gasket doesn’t work great and now that I know about the rivit thing I would not run them on any aftermarket header. Putting the remflex on would have been better first but I would have probably destroyed it taking it off so many times to fix the cracking and would have needed to buy more @ $35 each plus shipping. This is absolutely my last fix for these headers, if it decides to crack again I’m going back to stock. The $400 ish on the headers if I can get them returned would be put towards maybe a large sander I can plane the stock manifolds down to or who knows. Guys up here in CT want $$$ to deck manifolds.

View attachment 171307

View attachment 171308

View attachment 171309

View attachment 171310

Remember way back on post #7,and you didn't believe me,lol. There's more then you,who've had problems with the Hookers,there's a few posts of them on the ram facebook pages with cracked primaries.They're poorly designed with too short of tube into the log,there's absolutely no forgiveniss when the tube into the log is that short.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With all the problems you've had and all the ******** you have had to endure I think we might start a "go fund me" page for you so you can purchase a "better" set of headers. I'm beginning to think you need to use Velcro on them as often as you've had to taken them on and off.
Jay

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
With all the problems you've had and all the ******** you have had to endure I think we might start a "go fund me" page for you so you can purchase a "better" set of headers. I'm beginning to think you need to use Velcro on them as often as you've had to taken them on and off.
Jay

hahaha. Ive gotten pretty efficient at doing it! The problem is cost, These were $430 new, after my discounts I would be at $380, which is cheap if they didn't break lol. Now throw in my time and effort in blasting, coating and then install etc. I also have $65 invested in ARP header bolts, $25 invested in ARP bolts for the collectors, $21 for felrpo gaskets and $35 in remflex gaskets. So I $150 more in just bolts and gaskets which I dont want to waste, good news is that the header bolts also fit LS motors and I have 2 sitting on stands so I can always use them there. Basically I want them to work so Ive spent time making it work or getting to that point. Which I have gotten used to making things work that are new bc nothing nowadays is made with any pride and I like customizing things.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Only other headers I would consider is the AFE twisted steel but they are $800 for 409SS and MIG Welds. I at least felt better knowing I was getting TIG welds on the Hookers.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
What about the jba shorties?

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Think I saw $650+ for ceramic coated. But its the style with the top primary making the crazy loop and getting them bolted down is a PITA.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you've got LS-compatible bolts, maybe you could...naw, I can't bring myself to even type that, but you can guess what I'm thinking after all the trouble you've had!

Seriously, though, thanks for keeping us updated on your travails...you're braver than me, that's for sure!

TXCOMT

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
If money was not a option what are the best shorties out there- I would have them installed too. I looked at ARH and SSW and they only have LTs. LTs are not what I want- I had JBA LTs on my last truck great headers but my 80 mile round trip with work drove me nuts with the noise. I plan on doing this once I have a manifold tick and I like the way the stock sport exhaust sounds