Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Body Paint versus Bed Paint?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by SteadyEddie, Oct 15, 2019.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Magnum
    My 1997 Ram has the usual clear coat peeling like dead skin from the hood, roof, fenders, and now doors. But NOT anywhere in the bed. Not a single spot. So, does anyone know if Dodge used a different paint for the inside of the bed? I am wondering if they used a single stage urethane for more durability? I'm just guessing here, based on what little I know about automotive paints. Anyone know for sure?

2. Fast69Mopar

Fast69Mopar Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    I asked this exact question to my Chrysler Zone Tech for the DFW (North Texas) area back in 2001. He told me that the primer, paint and clear coat was the exact same as the exterior of the truck. They did not receive any special paint, chemicals or any type of different treatment when painting the inside of the bed.

Mop likes this.
  3. Rado

Rado US NAVY VETERAN Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Pentastar 3.6 V6
    Same thing is happening to my son's Honda ! IMO it is because of the constant air flow and dirt that blows across it when you drive !

4. El Huapo

El Huapo Member Military

Ram Year:
    2019 Warlock
    Engine:
    V6 gas
    My 2001 also had the magic peeling white paint problem. Then it began showing rust too so I knew I had to do something. I didn't feel I could justify spending $2500 or more for a professional paint job and am no car painter myself. So I bought a kit of white bed-liner from Amazon. About $200. It came with a "gun" too. All you need is an air compressor to run it. I did the usual sanding, priming bare spots, etc. getting rid of all the old clear coat, then taping it off. The actual spraying took less than an hour, outside on a warm day with no wind. I love the result and it seems to be holding up fine. At least it's all one color. So here it is below, early morning dew and all. 100_2014.JPG 100_2015.JPG

Mop and Joe w. like this.