Body Paint versus Bed Paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteadyEddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
My 1997 Ram has the usual clear coat peeling like dead skin from the hood, roof, fenders, and now doors. But NOT anywhere in the bed. Not a single spot. So, does anyone know if Dodge used a different paint for the inside of the bed? I am wondering if they used a single stage urethane for more durability? I'm just guessing here, based on what little I know about automotive paints. Anyone know for sure?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I asked this exact question to my Chrysler Zone Tech for the DFW (North Texas) area back in 2001. He told me that the primer, paint and clear coat was the exact same as the exterior of the truck. They did not receive any special paint, chemicals or any type of different treatment when painting the inside of the bed.

Reactions: Mop

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Same thing is happening to my son's Honda ! IMO it is because of the constant air flow and dirt that blows across it when you drive !

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
My 2001 also had the magic peeling white paint problem. Then it began showing rust too so I knew I had to do something. I didn't feel I could justify spending $2500 or more for a professional paint job and am no car painter myself. So I bought a kit of white bed-liner from Amazon. About $200. It came with a "gun" too. All you need is an air compressor to run it. I did the usual sanding, priming bare spots, etc. getting rid of all the old clear coat, then taping it off. The actual spraying took less than an hour, outside on a warm day with no wind. I love the result and it seems to be holding up fine. At least it's all one color. So here it is below, early morning dew and all.100_2014.JPG 100_2015.JPG

RickRoldan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 1997 Ram has the usual clear coat peeling like dead skin from the hood, roof, fenders, and now doors. But NOT anywhere in the bed. Not a single spot. So, does anyone know if Dodge used a different paint for the inside of the bed? I am wondering if they used a single stage urethane for more durability? I'm just guessing here, based on what little I know about automotive paints. Anyone know for sure?

RickRoldan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This could be any number of issues! The bed could have been painted at a different time if its a used truck! Like with mine i just realized that the bed was replaced and the body work was done horribly ! I have taken most of these areas down to metal before re doing the body work! Almost thier!