Bolt size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any of you fine chaps know off hand the bolt size for the tranny cooler mount? As shown in pic, mine somehow lost a bolt. Just looking to save time over removing other one and matching up at store. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3831.jpeg
    IMG_3831.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 12

CalDad14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6-speed, short bed, 392gears
Engine
No I don't kno the size of the bolt.

But, I do want to know how you figured out it was missing!?! Did you hear a strange new sound? Feel a new vibration? Find it during routine maintenance/service? Is that a common occurrence for the type of Ram you own so you knew to look for it?!? What type of Ram are you talking about, >2500 I assume.

This mind needs to know!!!
Oh, and I hope someone knows what size bolt you need.
Thanks Red, have a good day!

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I don't kno the size of the bolt.

But, I do want to know how you figured out it was missing!?! Did you hear a strange new sound? Feel a new vibration? Find it during routine maintenance/service? Is that a common occurrence for the type of Ram you own so you knew to look for it?!? What type of Ram are you talking about, >2500 I assume.

This mind needs to know!!!
Oh, and I hope someone knows what size bolt you need.
Thanks Red, have a good day!
Honestly i was under my truck working on other issues and just happened to look up! And noticed it gone! Almost like it was missing from factory? Not a biggie as it has 3 other bolts holding it tight but it just bugs me… its a 2017 1500 outdoorsman with pentastar v6.

CalDad14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right on. I didn't know any 1500's came(from factory) w/an independent tranny cooler? Always thought the 1500's transmission's cooling system was integrated w/the radiator. Which is why I wrote =/>2500. Learned something new.

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im guessing its a cooler? Looks like one and its mounted around shifter linkage. The outdoorsman package has 3:55 gears with LS rearend, HD shocks with 1” lift. Skid plates etc. tow package., maybe that added extra cooler?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Right on. I didn't know any 1500's came(from factory) w/an independent tranny cooler? Always thought the 1500's transmission's cooling system was integrated w/the radiator. Which is why I wrote =/>2500. Learned something new.
The bolt he's missing is on the transmissions thermal management unit,it's where hot coolant flows to heat the transmission fluid,it's not a cooler as such,it's a heater,the actual transmission cooler is still in the top of the A/C condensor.His truck is an 8 speed,and has it's own actual seperate thermostat ,that is located in the plate behind the thermal management unit/heater.
Only the 1500's use the transmission heater,the cars with the same 8HP70 don't employ the heater,nor do the HD 2500's using the 8HP75.
They gotta get every last ounce of milege outta the trucks to keep the gubbermint and consumer happy ,transmission life be dammed:Big Laugh:

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bolt he's missing is on the transmissions thermal management unit,it's where hot coolant flows to heat the transmission fluid,it's not a cooler as such,it's a heater,the actual transmission cooler is still in the top of the A/C condensor.His truck is an 8 speed,and has it's own actual seperate thermostat ,that is located in the plate behind the thermal management unit/heater.
Only the 1500's use the transmission heater,the cars with the same 8HP70 don't employ the heater,nor do the HD 2500's using the 8HP75.
They gotta get every last ounce of milege outta the trucks to keep the gubbermint and consumer happy ,transmission life be dammed:Big Laugh:
Well i’ll be a monkeys uncle, a heater? Neat. Thanks

CalDad14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question, so does that mean my 17' Ram 1500 SLT, 5.7, 6-speed, 4×4, CC, Shortbed, has the same thermal management unit? I do have a "temp gage" as part of my cluster. Or is it a component that's needed only for the 8-speed trans? Thanks.

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Sorry but wrong bolts, those are the bolts that hold the bracket for unit to tranny, Im missing one of the four smaller bolts that mount heater to bracket, you can see them in that diagram but they are not listed on parts breakdown. Thanks though.

The thread size is the same IIRC. You'll just need it about 20mm long. The bolt you're missing is not sold separately, it comes with the entire heater & control unit assembly. You will have to match it up. There's 4 total. You can pull one from the top since there's 2 up there next to each other.
Screenshot_20230916_152602_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Question, so does that mean my 17' Ram 1500 SLT, 5.7, 6-speed, 4×4, CC, Shortbed, has the same thermal management unit? I do have a "temp gage" as part of my cluster. Or is it a component that's needed only for the 8-speed trans? Thanks.
It's only the 8 speeds that use the heater.Good chance you're RFE might have a thermostat to though.If you have an aluminium block in the upper left/pass side corner of your grill with bigger hardlines running to it,that'll be your transmissions thermostat,there's delete kits available for it,if you do.The earlier RFE transmissions lived long and healthy lives with-out it,it was added to the later RFE equipped trucks to gain that extra smidge of milege,with-out any care given to longer life for the transmission

OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a side note, torque value for those bolts is only 9 ftlbs. Im thinking maybe a little blue loctite may not be a bad idea. It is a potential leak point for coolant and ATF. I tightened it a little more then 9 ftlbs