Boost opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Does anyone know how much boost stock internals can handle?
Before you guys attack me this is not for me this is to settle an argument
Thanks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
6-8 psi on stock internals (for 03-08 anyway) is generally the norm. Those high ring lands don't exactly lend themselves to boost very well.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I ran 6-8psi without issues on a stock block...

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
6-8 psi on stock internals (for 03-08 anyway) is generally the norm. Those high ring lands don't exactly lend themselves to boost very well.
So if one were to get aftermarket pistons with lower ring lands, what could they expect? Or are the ring lands not the only problem with boost on 5.7 Hemis?

Do you have any information on the 5.2 or 5.9 magnum?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you're going to bother replacing the pistons then you may as well get the short block built to handle it, even if it's just swapping pistons, rods and using a 6.1 crank. Or a stroker kit will do the trick as well....
Same pretty much applies to them.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
If you're going to bother replacing the pistons then you may as well get the short block built to handle it, even if it's just swapping pistons, rods and using a 6.1 crank. Or a stroker kit will do the trick as well....
Same pretty much applies to them.
Interesting. Though, I've seen videos of people throwing 12 pounds at stock 5.2's and getting 500 wheel and running 12's or so. But, alright. After all, if I were looking for longevity, I might as well do it right once than be SOL for a month or two trying to rebuild a borked engine. Thanks for the reply.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting. Though, I've seen videos of people throwing 12 pounds at stock 5.2's and getting 500 wheel and running 12's or so. But, alright. After all, if I were looking for longevity, I might as well do it right once than be SOL for a month or two trying to rebuild a borked engine. Thanks for the reply.
Are you sure they were 5.2 Mopars? Because I can tell you right now, even if a stock internal 318 survived 12psi, it isn't gonna survive trying to make in the neighborhood of 550+ or so flywheel power without coming apart. Pedestrian truck engine, was not designed for it. Now if it was a 5.2 Voodoo (Ford), then yes, you can throw a decent amount of boost at those engines.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Are you sure they were 5.2 Mopars? Because I can tell you right now, even if a stock internal 318 survived 12psi, it isn't gonna survive trying to make in the neighborhood of 550+ or so flywheel power without coming apart. Pedestrian truck engine, was not designed for it. Now if it was a 5.2 Voodoo (Ford), then yes, you can throw a decent amount of boost at those engines.

All I know for sure is they threw boost at otherwise stock 5.2's in full-size trucks and ran 12's. If that turned out to be 500 WHP, then that's what they did and what it was. If it was lower, it was lower, but either way, they ran 12's in SCSB 2nd gen 1500's on boost.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The first one is interesting, though it was from almost 3yrs ago; I wonder how long it survived. He seemed to have the attitude of run it til it blows lol, curious that they stayed away from looking under the hood.... Second one he's definitely not pushing that much with a turbo that small; sounds like a diesel and looks and sounds horrible with that flapper pipe sticking through the hood lol. Third one he hadn't even put the damn turbo in yet lol. After that the search kinda trails off with all out builds, cam swaps and even other makes (13th one down is a chevy).
Just out of curiosity, I looked up ProCharger's street kit for that engine. So far as I know that's the only complete kit available for the Magnum in a Ram or Dakota/Durango. Theirs runs 8-9 psi for a claimed 55-60% power increase. 60% on 230hp would be 368hp (both at the crank).
This boost level is pretty much average across the ProCharger line. 10 psi may not be a stretch with proper tuning and good fuel but much beyond that on stock cast components is a ticking time bomb. Early 3rd gen days STS had a remote turbo kit for the hemi. Worked great if installed correctly and left alone on a stock engine; there's a video of a three way highway race between a slightly modded SRT10, an STS hemi quad cab and modded Lightning. The QC is slower than the SRT but smoked the Lightning (to the point that the guy blew the engine lol.
EVERY used STS kit I ever saw for sale was because some bozo got greedy (power is addictive) and turned the boost up past recommendation on a stock engine and put a new crankcase vent in the side of the block.
Do I believe people are putting more boost to them? Of course. Do I believe that those engines had a long, reliable productive life (especially as a street engine) once that started happening? Not so much lol.
Regardless I would suggest going over to 2nd gen asking them.

Last edited:

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi

So you're saying it's probably bubkiss? Well, damn. Alright. Well, since I don't even have a ram again, yet, I'll wait until I have one before I go bothering people. Given the prices of trucks, I'll probably end up with a 2nd gen, or worse, an early 3rd gen, probably with the 4.7. But, then again, it's all my choice, so I think I'd rather have the 318/360 in an older truck than a 4.7 in a slightly newer truck.

If I could pick anything it'd be an SRT10 or a 2014 Hemi, pure and simple. Thanks for the insight, dude. Kinda sad, as I want 400-500 wheel, but oh well. If anything it's just more money and work regardless. The 3rd gens have the problem of needing a trans swap, so it's not all bad.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Slap an 8psi blower on an 8sp Ram. Do the math. Eagle Rams are 390-395hp. A 50% power increase adds almost 200hp coupled with the amazing gear split of the ZF trans.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Slap an 8psi blower on an 8sp Ram. Do the math. Eagle Rams are 390-395hp. A 50% power increase adds almost 200hp coupled with the amazing gear split of the ZF trans.
That is indeed my magic 500-550 WHP. Especially with full bolt ons before the boost. Sadly, I'm several thousand shy of being able to afford an 8 speed Hemi Ram especially given tax return season, stimulus checks, and ****** inflated truck prices in general.

Anyway, on the note you provided, do you think 3.92 or 3.55 are worth it in the 8-speed rams, or should I still with 3.21? I would be planning on lowered with 30"-32" tires and probably RWD, but I wouldn't totally disregard 4wd if I could still get it 4/6 or 5/7

Edit: don't make me start dreaming again, lol. Now I'm drooling over the idea of an 8-speed FBO/Cam/Stroker/Port and polish(or trickflows or whatever) +boost +detroit tru-trac&gears, AWD and slammed. A modern SRT-Ram. FML. Only thing cooler would be a 9L stroker viper motor instead.

bigdodge

Reaction score
From Jim Bells lips to my ear "boost doesn't kill engines, pre-ignition does". Your can run a lot of boost if you can tune it right but it only takes that one mistake.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I could pick anything it'd be an SRT10 or a 2014 Hemi, pure and simple. Thanks for the insight, dude. Kinda sad, as I want 400-500 wheel, but oh well. If anything it's just more money and work regardless. The 3rd gens have the problem of needing a trans swap, so it's not all bad.
It's becoming seriously easier to do that nowadays.
Screenshot_2021-03-04 Sound German Automotive - Posts Facebook.png

That is indeed my magic 500-550 WHP. Especially with full bolt ons before the boost. Sadly, I'm several thousand shy of being able to afford an 8 speed Hemi Ram especially given tax return season, stimulus checks, and ****** inflated truck prices in general.

Anyway, on the note you provided, do you think 3.92 or 3.55 are worth it in the 8-speed rams, or should I still with 3.21? I would be planning on lowered with 30"-32" tires and probably RWD, but I wouldn't totally disregard 4wd if I could still get it 4/6 or 5/7
While it is becoming increasingly easier to retrofit the ZF, the advantage of a 14 or newer is the ability to just drop in a factory 392. That's almost 500hp stock with cylinder head capability of much more even without boost.

Edit: don't make me start dreaming again, lol. Now I'm drooling over the idea of an 8-speed FBO/Cam/Stroker/Port and polish(or trickflows or whatever) +boost +detroit tru-trac&gears, AWD and slammed. A modern SRT-Ram. FML. Only thing cooler would be a 9L stroker viper motor instead.
Well, the ZF has an unholy first gear, but according to the Canadian running around in a 2004 QC with a 6.1 based 392, 8HP70 & 4.56's says the extra gearing isn't bad at all. Me personally, unless you're really need the towing oomph or just really like short range acceleration, 3.55 would probably be the best all around gear with the ZF.

From Jim Bells lips to my ear "boost doesn't kill engines, pre-ignition does". Your can run a lot of boost if you can tune it right but it only takes that one mistake.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
Which is why aftermarket kits are so conservative if it's designed for a stock engine.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi

If I can somehow swing an 02 ram with the magnum, I may just play with that and save up money on the side for an 8-speed Hellcrate drop-in. Or, screw it, maybe stick shift. If it's so easy nowadays to do these swaps, might as well, right?

IDK, being poor sucks. I only started building credit a year ago and haven't been going as hard on that as I could be. Credit is what's going to fund any "builds" of just about anything I have in the future. I've now realized that it's the magic ticket and better than trying to scrounge and save up cash if you either want something big or want something now.

Only reason I'm averse to a car loan for a truck is because MFs expect you to have full coverage insurance. I might be able to swing a $200 a month payment, but I can't do that AND an extra $150 a month or more for insurance. Plus most loans want proof of income or a cosign, and I can provide neither.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Screenshot_2021-03-04 Boost opinions.png

Da **** is *snip*? I never said that.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
View attachment 240006

Da **** is *snip*? I never said that.
Oh, it's just something I put in place of your actual quote to cut down on thread clutter. Anyone who wanted to read your post could just click the quote link. Or scroll up. The reason why I quoted you despite wanting to keep said clutter down is so you would definitely see my post as a direct response to yours. Since there isn't a "reply to" button or @ system on this message board, apparently.