Boost opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
You might find my photos from last year....

The Truth:
Lower, or higher ring lands mean nothing..... Those guys throwing 15 PSI as stock bottom end magnums.. they gap the living **** out of the rings so they don't butt up and twist... this keeps the ring lands from cracking. Then you put a huge intercooler on it and run those eddy aluminum heads... I promise... it will run several passes at 15 psi, but every pass holds the risk of blowing barn doors through the block.

However..... stock magnums have cast alu. pistons, and a wise man once warned me that those pistons will not hold more than 450hp for any reasonable amount of time. The factory rods are forged pieces and solid enough, but the pistons are trash. Needless to say, without boost, I managed to powder my pistons. A boosted engine actually comes on to power smoother and better than a naturally aspirated engine and it is very possible to have a boosted 500hp stock bottom end magnum.

What do you do with one? don't daily drive it that's for sure lol I can all but promise you will trash the block when the pistons do fail.

If you are going to boost a magnum, get hyper. pistons. Forged isn't worth the cost or weight.

I am still waiting for my replacement motor to come out of the machine shop, but I had to put my truck rebuild on hold due to my jeep burning to the ground. I'm going naturally aspirated again because I have to deal with emissions, but if I lived in a place without emissions I would be beating my wallet into submission to put a solid single turbo on my truck with 12-15psi daily. Hyper pistons, eddy alu. heads. massive intercooler. piggyback ECU for engine management, stock ECU for trans control.

In the meantime I just picked up a Durango R/T for the little lady :) so money is REALLY tight.

The Myth:
lower ring lands prevent the piston from cracking under boost.

Truth:
Lower ring lands make the top of the piston thicker, and are less prone to failure, but if your ring gap is not big enough, and you feed nitrous, or boost... the rings will grow, the ends of the rings will touch, and you will crack them no matter what.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
You might find my photos from last year....

piggyback ECU for engine management, stock ECU for trans control.

The Myth:
lower ring lands prevent the piston from cracking under boost.

Truth:
Lower ring lands make the top of the piston thicker, and are less prone to failure, but if your ring gap is not big enough, and you feed nitrous, or boost... the rings will grow, the ends of the rings will touch, and you will crack them no matter what.

I don't remember them. I've been off the forum since I sold my truck.

Don't need the latter because I'd want a FMRVB.

Do the aftermarket pistons come with lower ring lands, anyway?

Also, with getting pistons, heads, cam, and other supporting mods, with a properly sized responsice single turbo, what numbers would you be looking at safely for a daily then? Just a ballpark curiosity. Average tune somewhat safe on 91/93. Also, what compression ratio would you recommend?