Bottoming out a lot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Srt-cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So back in April I lowered my truck 2/4 and thought it was the greatest thing ever. I loved the look and the ride quality was great....fast forward to today.

This weekend the wife and I took a trip to Dallas and I feel like the truck has developed an issue, It loves to bottom out now. And not just the rear the front as well. They are doing construction on quite a bit of the interstate along the way and the truck actually bottomed out on all 4 corners numerous times. My tires have started to wear on my inner fenders in the front and had never touched these before.

Upon returning home, we went to dinner with my parents and my Dad even commented on how the ride seemed to be worse and the numerous times it bottomed out. He thinks my shocks may be gone and I’m just riding on the springs/ helper bags. Has anyone experienced this Or have any input? I thought I did enough research before my drop so as to not have issues but I guess I was wrong.

This is what I have...
Bell tech 2/4 no shocks
Inez no cut brackets
Billstein 4600 front
Billstein 5100 rear
Helper bags on rear
Hellwig front and rear sway bars
Spoon panhard bar

I’m worried my dad is right and if so would the Vikings from Moe’s solve this issue? I’ve only got about 3k miles on it lowered.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your airbags, make sure a hose hasnt come loose, had that happen after I put the air lift 1000 in. Cant comment on the shocks, I'm dealing with some vibration now, similar set up to yours, but I have kyb monomax shocks instead of bilstein. If your shocks are bad they should have a warranty on them.

drprymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you still have your bump stops? When I had my 2/4 I cut the front ones off completely but left the rear and never had an issues. With my 5/7 now I don't have any bumpstops but haven't bottomed out in it.

OP
OP
Srt-cummins

Srt-cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bags are holding steady at about 12lbs and the bumpstops are cut off the front. This is just a new issue since taking it on the trip...not quite sure?

LuisJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may just be too low. I'm having the same issues with bottoming out now that I added the Inez no cut brackets. Now that the axles is corrected, the upper control arm mounts are hitting the frame.

I measured from hub center to fender and came up with 18.5" in the rear. Stock measurement was 23-23.5" in the rear. I knew the rear looked a little low. Totally of 5" drop with about 100lbs of work gear in the bed.

The solution for me was to get the "cut" relocation brackets or to raise the rear up a little. Luckily for me, my dads coworker gave him a set of 2" drop springs. Not sure of the make but they are black and just say 2" rear drop on them, they were also thicker and hard to compress vs the belltechs. I threw them on a little early and it brought the rear end back up to 22.5" lol That's with a full tank of gas and work gear. After dinner I'll cut a full coil off and work from there to get me down to 20". That extra 1.5" of height/travel should really help out.

This is the results with the 2" drop spring... way too damn high lol

I'll post again with measurements and results after

20190627_143847_zpstbheria0.jpg

20190627_143816_zpslqv3zvie.jpg

20190627_134248_zpsinxpshsy.jpg

OP
OP
Srt-cummins

Srt-cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m gonna crawl under it tomorrow and I’ll look at the frame to control arm clearance but am still concerned as mine is not just bottoming out on the rear, it bottoming out the front as well. That’s why I’m concerned about the shocks being shot. But still appreciate the help....:)

LuisJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah ok. Well I hope you get it resolved. I have the 2" drop rears on and cut two coils off them. Still too high for my liking lol But on a good note, it rides night and day better. I think I need at least one more coil to get me to 1" rake front to rear with a full tank of gas and work gear in bed.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Change to Viking adjustable shocks.
Change from the IHC "no cut kit" to the "cut kit"
Replace the rear springs and helper bags to a true Timber Grove air bag kit.

All problems solved!