Brake Problem...HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay well I'm driving today and start hearing a pretty rediculous clanging up in front of my truck, along with some play in the steering wheel....I get home and start taking my wheels off worried about it possibly being my spacers and get the passenger front off, back on and the the driver side.

So I get someone to hold the brake down when I'm tightening the nuts and I'm yelling at them "push the brakes, push the brakes" and they were, but the hub kept turning. The brake pedal was losing pressure and slowly going down.

So cut it on and while pumping it slowly starts to firm up, but now it's locked on the driver side and won't spin, but the passenger side spins freely...also the rear wheels both are fine...what's the deal?

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
It might be your hub assembly, put the wheel back on and keep it jacked up. Push at the top and bottom of the wheel/tire and see if there is any play what so ever.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Since you mention steering wheel play, my guess is the hub is shot....

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Caliper could be sticking, replaced multiple times on my Dakota. Not sure if the Rams had a problem with this or not. Haven't had a problem with any of my 3. Try cracking the banjo bolt and see if it relieves the caliper. If it does, you may have a blockage somewhere in your brake line. If not, your caliper could be freezing up.

OP
OP
M

matt99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No play in the hub, and i dont think there is any air in the line. I bled all of the brakes and was getting PLENTY of pressure through all of them but that one...im thinking there might be a blockage or something. Crack the line and then I get plenty of play. Can I turn the banjo bolt from pointing downwards to in towards the engine? to get a little more length?

Im going to be pissed if they try and blame that on my level. im sure they will though

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
There are two other things you can check for, take a big screw driver or a pry bar and pry inside the caliper against the rotor. If it won't move your caliper is froze up or your line it done for, also look at the edges of the rotor. If the rust on the edge is discolored in comparison to the other side it's a definite sign that it is in fact sticking.

edit: since you said your steering was also kinda loose check your tie rod boots to and make sure your steering rack is still good, if it's bad the boots will be full of fluid.

OP
OP
M

matt99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i shoulda updated this thread

My driver side brake line was pinched and sheared off internally, blocking off fluid to the caliper but still allowing backflow. It made a sort of valve

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same **** happened to me about a month ago. Didn't lock up all the way but groves the **** out of the rotors

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
i shoulda updated this thread

My driver side brake line was pinched and sheared off internally, blocking off fluid to the caliper but still allowing backflow. It made a sort of valve

This is more common than I use to believe possible. I had my left front drag and lock. Changed everything twice, was pulling my hair and a salesman at Advance told me "oh your brake line is collapsed" I was thinking BS, but since I changed everything else I replaced the line and fixed the problem. He also told me to change both sides. I changed the one side and sure enough a week later the other side started dragging.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
This is more common than I use to believe possible. I had my left front drag and lock. Changed everything twice, was pulling my hair and a salesman at Advance told me "oh your brake line is collapsed" I was thinking BS, but since I changed everything else I replaced the line and fixed the problem. He also told me to change both sides. I changed the one side and sure enough a week later the other side started dragging.

Thats why I always tell people to change the lines in pairs. I have seen them literally "BLOW" apart on the older side to where people will lose all their brakes.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
In my case I was short on time and commuting a good distance each week and still didn't believe collapse hoses were common. I had the hose but didn't take the time to install it. i was in total disbelieve when both hoses failed so close together. Since then I have had another brake hose on a motorcycle also fail, acting as a check valve. By all means change them in pairs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat