Brake upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s been on my mind for the past couple of years does anybody know if there’s a factory upgrade that we can do to the 1500s be pretty nice to put like six piston hellcat or scat pack brakes on or if TRX brakes will fit Pretty sure I need to replace at least one of my calipers or rebuild them being that it pulls to one side when braking Was thinking heck why not upgrade but don’t want to spend thousands of dollars for bbk

OP
OP
Kid's HEMI! !!

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that the kit calipers and rotors or are you just talking about pads and rotors I already have rotors and brake lines

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
power stop does have a caliper/rotor/pad combo, i just bought the rotor/pad kit but havent installed it yet

OP
OP
Kid's HEMI! !!

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s what I don’t wanna do that’s why I was wondering if hellcat or Scat pack brakes would work. In the JDM world we just use Evo STI or CTSV brakes and throw them on anything

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That’s what I don’t wanna do that’s why I was wondering if hellcat or Scat pack brakes would work. In the JDM world we just use Evo STI or CTSV brakes and throw them on anything
Not sure about the TRX's brakes,but the cars/Jeeps cailper mounting brackets don't interchange with the trucks spindle mounts.

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are a few BBK (big brake kits) available to these trucks, I know for a fact Wilwood makes one. Unless you are racing the truck or just towing way more than what the truck is rated for I wouldn't waste the couple thousand dollars to upgrade them. A good set of aftermarket pads and rotors is really all you need IMO.

OP
OP
Kid's HEMI! !!

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was just a thought because hellcat and scat pack brakes aren’t that bad in price

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See if your local parts store has any of the calipers with brackets you're looking to upgrade to as well as the one for your truck. Ask to see them and compare the bolt locations on the brackets, offsets, etc.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It’s been on my mind for the past couple of years does anybody know if there’s a factory upgrade that we can do to the 1500s be pretty nice to put like six piston hellcat or scat pack brakes on or if TRX brakes will fit Pretty sure I need to replace at least one of my calipers or rebuild them being that it pulls to one side when braking Was thinking heck why not upgrade but don’t want to spend thousands of dollars for bbk
Have you gotten an alignment lately? That would be more likely to cause your truck to pull to one side under braking IMO than brakes. As far as upgrading, I've always heard that blanks will get you better performance than drilled/slotted rotors for normal driving. Not sure if someone like EBC or Hawk makes a performance pad for our trucks but that is probably more bang for your buck than trying to get slightly bigger rotors from elsewhere and making them fit.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
It was just a thought because hellcat and scat pack brakes aren’t that bad in price

I've looked into this extensively because I to have done swaps using better brakes from other cars on my vehicles.
Other than willwood or I think SSBC there's really no cheap affordable option. The SRT10 caliper with the spindles was the cheapest at one point but they near impossible to find now.

The problem isn't finding calipers to work.
You would need a custom bracket for whatever caliper. Which is the not the hardest part.

The hardest part is finding Rotors to work without someone custom making them.
Finding OEM rotors to work is difficult.
1. Our bolt pattern sucks, will have to re-drill the rotors
2. We have a very tall rotor offset (rotor hat length)

Now the 5th gen Ram has the same rotor offset as the 4th gen just a bigger rotor and will have to get them re drilled for 5 lugs. I just don't know how the caliper will fit.

So I've tested a few things. Have a spare spindle for mock ups. Have various rotors and Brembo calipers but yet to find anything to work. Most of the time because of the rotors.
Maybe oneday. lol

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IDK on larger multi-piston calipers.

As for pads, they all claim to be ''The BEST" so how do you know? If you look up youtube test results, there a few videos where they test a variety of mfgr pads on a manufacturer computer-controlled brake testing machine (using industry standard test procedures for each pad). Anyway, OEM pads consistently outperform aftermarket pads. Some a lot more than others, price not being a good yardstick. You can look the tests up on youtube if you're interested.