Brake upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,
so I have my 1500 Megacab Hemi, and from what I know, it uses pretty much all stuff from 2500 trucks.
The truck brakes decent, but I like the almost effortless and no sag break pedal feel, and I don't have it.
Now I am running 35" (but before weas similar) and also swapped to Power Wagon Axles...

I have not touched breaks, but was planning on doing braided lines... that usually helps with sag.
of course brake pads and rotors might help... still have oem style. (Did that with my previous Hemi car... Magnum)

My big question is: I have 5080888AB master cylinder 1.31" bore size.
Is there an upgrade that really makes a difference? Bigger Bore? Change Vac Booster? Add an Electric Vac pump?
I have ABS on my truck also... not sure that is the source of my pedal smooth and sag...

No leaks, and I did flush (tradicional method 2 person) method. Not sure how to bleed ABS on this truck.

I want less effort for usual daily breaking, and less travel. Of course I go 80 and need to stop a truck this size.. I need to put some effort...

I heard about the dieses hydro system. Not sure they are direct fit (I know... oil lines from steering box...) but what about brake line fitting?

Thanks
Nuno

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ABS bleed is electronic

OP
OP
N

Nuno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, I have been reading and it seems hydroboost from a CTD is the way to go.
Question, I heard that not easy to find the T fittings for the pressure hoses, but hte CTD pump has connections fro steering and hydroboost. Is that diesel PS pump a direct fit on hemi block?

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suggest Power Stop's Z36 Kit. Calipers probably recommended if you have high mileage. Then also replace the brake lines with stainless braided for that additional 'firm pedal' feel. I've done that swap on countless vehicles before and the feeling of a "squishy" pedal is long gone.

Most times what people think is "brake fade" is really (mostly) those old rubber lines swelling as you press the pedal.

OP
OP
N

Nuno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with rubber lines. Old lines make it squishy...
I swapped my axles from a power wagon with low miles.. and cleaned/serviced calipers, so those I know are ok. Ah and it did't get worst when I changed calipers...didn't improve either.

I am looking for the stainless braided lines...but having hard time to find it. I have megacab 1500 so basically 2500 with 3" lift and abs (fron rear disks) and can't find the dam braided lines...
Do you know where to get those?

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out KLM Performance: https://klmperformance.com/collections/braided-stainless-steel-brake-lines

I agree with rubber lines. Old lines make it squishy...
I swapped my axles from a power wagon with low miles.. and cleaned/serviced calipers, so those I know are ok. Ah and it did't get worst when I changed calipers...didn't improve either.

I am looking for the stainless braided lines...but having hard time to find it. I have megacab 1500 so basically 2500 with 3" lift and abs (fron rear disks) and can't find the dam braided lines...
Do you know where to get those?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963