Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Brakes

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by jknappen, Mar 28, 2016.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. BlownGP

BlownGP Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2009 RAM CC Sport
    Engine:
    First of all, drilled/slotted rotors are not much more than solid rotors. And I never stated they will stop better than solid rotors.

Second with those cars you listed, most of them have two piece and/or ceramic rotors. Which ya would be overkill for our trucks.

and FYI the GT500 brakes are 4 piston brembo's with the 14" blank rotors.

2. Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 R/T
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    "Normal use" as defined by what?

We're talking about towing here. Next to actual racing, that's about the hardest thing you can do to brakes.

Cool. You can keep your individual experience and I'll stick to the evidence, data, and engineering that the top brake companies in the world use, like AP Racing.

My buddy...?

As far as cost? Depends on the rotor brand. I bought the rotors for my Vette for about $90 each. That was over $50 cheaper than the slotted or drilled versions.

Depends on which year of car you're talking about. The C6 Z06 (What I have) comes with drilled rotors that are NOTORIOUS for cracking. The newer Z06 comes with Carbon Ceramic I believe.

Here's some good reading for you:
    http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-2/rotors-blank-vs-cross-drilled-vs-slotted-and-warping/
    http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/dangerous-cross-drilled-rotors/
    http://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing-j-hook-rings-29932lh

From the Essex link:
    "When you cut a slot or drill a hole in a disc you impact heat transfer. The area around the slot or hole acts as a cool spot when the disc heats up, which is not ideal. Ideally, heat is distributed uniformly around the disc so it can be hit with the cooling air that is pumping through the disc, radiate outwards away from the disc, etc. Cool spots create stress risers and increase the likelihood of the disc cracking. They also cause the face of the disc to distort unevenly, leading to uneven pad deposits, vibration, and judder.
    The OEM discs avoid this problem by simply leaving the face blank. While the risk for NVH goes down, so does the pad bite and feel of the disc through the brake pedal. Competitive aftermarket offerings typically have straight slots, which tend to leave cool spots across the disc face between the slots."

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  3. BlownGP

BlownGP Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2009 RAM CC Sport
    Engine:
    I never was talking about towing, neither was the OP

Oh so, Baer, Willwood, Brembo's all make crappy rotors right?
    And you have'net posted any evidence yet?

Come on, think real hard. lol

Really $50??? That's a lot more money to you? lol

Well no shit Sherlock. Wasn't just talking about your precious Z06
    and I've no Vette expert but you would be the first to run soild rotors on a C6 Z06. They make solid rotors?

[QUOTEDubstep Shep;1263894]Here's some good reading for you:
    Rotors: Blank vs Cross Drilled vs Slotted and Warping | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles
    Dangerous cross drilled rotors - EBC Brakes
    AP Racing J Hook Competition Disc Replacment Ring (299x32mm)- Left Hand

From the Essex link:
    "When you cut a slot or drill a hole in a disc you impact heat transfer. The area around the slot or hole acts as a cool spot when the disc heats up, which is not ideal. Ideally, heat is distributed uniformly around the disc so it can be hit with the cooling air that is pumping through the disc, radiate outwards away from the disc, etc. Cool spots create stress risers and increase the likelihood of the disc cracking. They also cause the face of the disc to distort unevenly, leading to uneven pad deposits, vibration, and judder.
    The OEM discs avoid this problem by simply leaving the face blank. While the risk for NVH goes down, so does the pad bite and feel of the disc through the brake pedal. Competitive aftermarket offerings typically have straight slots, which tend to leave cool spots across the disc face between the slots."[/QUOTE]

and I've read a lot of those articles over the years. Again none relate to daily driving on drilled/slotted rotors.

What you got next?

4. JaredRAM2015

JaredRAM2015 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    HEMI 5.7
    Can I throw in an Oreilly brake pad warranty disclaimer here?

I worked for them for 3 years while I was in College: 2011 - 2014
    Easiest job ever since I was already a car guy!

Anyway, I believe that the lifetime warranty is actually against "manufacturer defects" and not wear. NOW, WITH THAT BEING SAID, most of the time managers push brake sales (big ticket item if you can sell rotors, brake cleaner, brake fluid for a bleed, etc...) and will tell customers to bring them back when they are worn down.

I just wanted to float that out there in case someone ever goes to the counter and gets denied.

I don't recall ever seeing a paper/ink explanation of that warranty, just what management told us.

5. Dubstep Shep

Ram Year:
    2014 R/T
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    We're talking about trucks, right? Then we're talking about brake systems designed for towing.

Willwood isn't very good anyways. But go look at the Baer and Brembo rotors on their top end race cars. You won't see drilled rotors.

And you asking for evidence is hypocritical at this point. I've posted multiple articles and links to support my point. You've got anecdotal claims and ZERO citations.

Yea, not ringing a bell here...

Per rotor, yea. That's $200 right there. Especially when it's something like a wear item.

Someone is getting a little butt hurt lol.

I'm FAR from the first. They're actually a very common mod for these cars because, as I said, the factory drilled rotors crack all the time.

And just to clarify, solid doesn't mean actually 100% solid. They still have internal vanes, which is how the cooling is done. The rotor face is solid.

I can prove you wrong all day lol. You're the one making logical fallacies and using a condescending tone. If you can come up with some evidence, facts, or sound logic, then maybe we'll have a intellectual discussion on our hands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BlownGP likes this.
  6. BlownGP

BlownGP Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2009 RAM CC Sport
    Engine:
    And does buying a truck mean everyone tows with it? You have problems with your brakes when towing. You might be towing too much. But they have these things called trailer brakes. WOW

Willwood sucks. Ok any proof? That's I don't belive anything you say.

and Brembo makes some 10K GT-R brake kit and guess what? It used drilled rotors. Must be pretty sucky huh?

I will give you a hint. He lives in Houston also.

Now you sound like a cheap ass. Dude you have a Z06.lol

I'm not sure what I would be butt hurt about, but whatever.
    I will have to do some research into the solid Z06 rotors

and dude really?? You think I don't understand that pretty much 100% of modern front rotors are vented as the internal vanes do the cooling.

See the that's the thing. You haven't proved me wrong about anything. Just opinions and articles on how cheap drilled/slotted rotors shouldn't be used for auto x'ing. Which I agree on but nothing to do with OP's post.

And you think I'm being condescending?? hahaha. I could be and/or belligerent but this forum has a bunch of nazi mods so I'm playing nice because I do like it here. Plus I don't want to lose my post count..hahah

P.S. Love ya man (no homo):):):)

7. CLOUDL1GHT

CLOUDL1GHT Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    well this became interesting real quick lol. But to answer OP's question, I got the Powerstop towing kit or whatever with drilled/slotted rotors and upgraded pads. Works really well

BlownGP likes this.
  8. gofishn

gofishn Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram 1500 Express 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" Short Box
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
    Dubstep SHep/ BlownGP
    stop arguing.
    it's making the kids cry.

Mommy's & Daddy's are supposed to love one another.

Play nice.

If you want to get upset about something, be upset that I am so much better looking than either one of you.

BlownGP likes this.
  9. Dubstep Shep

Ram Year:
    2014 R/T
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Just because people don't tow doesn't mean their brake system isn't designed for it.

Point being, the OEM flat rotors are pretty damn stout as it is. If you don't have enough brake "bite" for your personal taste, then you should get different pads.

Ever see a Wilwood setup on an endurance race car? I haven't. Everything about their big brake kits screams low quality. Just sit one next to a Brembo, Baer, or better yet an AP Racing kit and you'll see the differences.

Matt? He runs a business lol. A smart businessman sells what people buy.

I have a Z06 because I'm a cheap ass lol. I pay $500 a month in rent and bills and spend $200-$300 on food per month so I can meet my savings goals and still have money left over for car parts. You can't insult me by saying I'm cheap hahaha, that's a compliment to me. I recognize value, but I also know most people overpay for things, especially on Vette parts.

These are the rotors I have on my car: https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/176_2010+Chevrolet+Corvette+Z06+%26+Grand+Sport+Models/577_KNS+4K+Brake+Rotor+-+Single+Rotor

Essentially those rotors are identical to these, but without the slots:
    https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/176_2010+Chevrolet+Corvette+Z06+%26+Grand+Sport+Models/577_KNS+4K+Brake+Rotor+-+Single+Rotor

And I stand corrected. It looks like it's a $100 per rotor difference for a few slots. That's $400 for a set of rotors.

That comment was more or less directed at others reading this exchange, not you.

They shouldn't be used period.
    They offer no distinct advantage.
    There's no additional cooling.
    They offer no substantial improvement in bite with street brake pads, especially when compared to slotted rotors.
    They're more expensive.
    They break easier.
    And the list goes on...

Lol that comment may have been misdirected on my part.

Regardless, I do enjoy these types of conversations. You can't learn anything new if you only ever talk with people that hold the same viewpoints.

10. BlownGP

BlownGP Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2009 RAM CC Sport
    Engine:
    Yes pads will make more a difference than rotors but having drilled/slotted rotors doesn't mean you can't tow.

Well, see that's a opinion. Not saying anything bad about the other brands, but stating Wilwood sucks by looking at them is not a very much of a case.

So, what your saying is drilled/slotted rotors sell well. Umm I guess all your post is just one guys opinion. Because it seems cracked rotors is not that big of a problem.

I said you sound like one with that comment. Didn't say you are one. READ!!!!
    Vette parts over priced to begin with so I guess saving $200 means something when owning a Vette

Looks like cool vane design, but you can buy drilled Z06 rotors for $15 on rockauto right. Plus there's many under $100..:)

Well you quoted me, maybe you should have stated that in your first post?lol

Because you said right? Again your opinion.

Then why do manufacturers keep putting them on cars?

I'm not sure if there's any data on this, but have the holes for air to pass through makes it possible. I doubt 100* or something but to me it would do something.
    No one ever claimed that. I understand pad compound designates that. But slots to keep the pads clean.
    Not always. Look at those Z06 rotors

That's a vague statement. lol Do you mean BRAKE? lol

Same can be said for you. I would have a easier time agreeing with if I haven't ran drilled/slotted rotors for over 15 years with no problem.

You should now can be learned on the internet.