Break-in locked truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm one of those guys who even locks my vehicles in my own driveway. I also tend to keep my keys on me at all times. I've found my Ram unlocked quite a few times in the driveway. I've also unintentionally activated the remote start and set off the panic alarm while working around the house quite often. These Ram Fobikeys or whatever they call them are without a doubt the worst design of any I've ever used. I try to be extra careful in parking lots. I tend to keep the fob in my hand until out of range before stuffing it in pocket. So far, I've never found it unlocked anywhere except at home.

I received 2 Smart FOBs with my truck and after numerous accidental Panic alarm incidents, decided to modify 1 of the FOBs. As you mentioned, working around the house with a FOB in your pocket will activate something.

The only surprise activations I've experienced are Panic alarms.

My fix seems to have de-sensitized the Panic button sufficiently and I can't recall having a surprise alarm since.

I disassembled the remote and placed an O ring around the micro-switch.

Screenshot e 2022-07-22 181031.jpg

Screenshot f 2022-07-22 181112.jpg

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure FOB/Push Botton equipped Rams don't do this by FOB proximity (as a setting)?

On several occasions, I'd remote unlock while working beside or behind my truck, and boom, it auto-locked before I opened the door.

Are you thinking that if I remote unlock and then stand next to the door, it will sense my proximity and not auto-lock?

If my memory serves, it locked the door as I reached for the latch but I'll try to test that theory and report back. :cool:

Update;
I went and tested the auto-locking feature just now and could not get it to auto-lock. I'm almost positive it has occurred several times because I recall the annoyance factor.

I'm sure it wasn't a senior's moment, there must be some odd condition that promotes this feature. :cool:

Update #2;
I was mistaken, the auto-lock feature on my truck happens 60 seconds after a front door handle sweep unlock without opening a door. A remote unlock stays unlocked indefinitely, or at least for as long as I had the patience to hangout waiting.

Last edited:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On several occasions, I'd remote unlock while working beside or behind my truck, and boom, it auto-locked before I opened the door.

Are you thinking that if I remote unlock and then stand next to the door, it will sense my proximity and not auto-lock?

If my memory serves, it locked the door as I reached for the latch but I'll try to test that theory and report back. :cool:

Update;
I went and tested the auto-locking feature just now and could not get it to auto-lock. I'm almost positive it has occurred several times because I recall the annoyance factor.

I'm sure it wasn't a senior's moment, there must be some odd condition that promotes this feature. :cool:

Update #2;
I was mistaken, the auto-lock feature on my truck happens 60 seconds after a front door handle sweep unlock without opening a door. A remote unlock stays unlocked indefinitely, or at least for as long as I had the patience to hangout waiting.

Yeah, I figured it was an aspect of the FOB/Push button setup (with the door handle button), instead of the unlocking with the FOB. I just didn't know how to explain what I meant.

My 2008 Audi will auto lock if you use the FOB to unlock the doors and don't open a door or hood/trunk. It does not have the handle buttons or FOB proximity sensors like the newer cars.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I had a really nice Smith and Wesson 357 stainless stolen out of my locked truck. I have a 2016 tradesman 3500 and last week I intentionally left the key fob in the cab while I was working at the farm and somehow bumped the door lock button climbing down from the cab. My kid says not to worry about it and it takes him all of 2 minutes with a wood wedge and a wire to tap the unlock button and get in. Then he showed me the scratches where the thieves pried the door open enough to steal my gun. Don't leave anything you care about in your Ram.
In Canada you would be charged and convicted for unsafe storage. But we have bigger problem , a freeze on all handguns sales, imports, and all kinds of craziness going on. That the hazards of idiots electing a moron for PM

My truck sits in the garage mainly, my older truck, a 2005 I locked the keys in while away, friend of mine was there a service fellow , he poked under the door handle with a slim screw driver and opened the door, I never really figured out what he did.
on my 14 with push button start and auto door locks, if you leave the fob in the truck , and get out, the doors will not lock, till you take the fob out. I never leave it in the truck, unless the wife is in it and it is running, otherwise the truck beeps at here while I am out , and she gets pissed. Speaking of senior's moments, I thought it was Sunday, good thing my watch had the days on it.
After the few posts in trucks going missing, I ordered a couple of those little bags.
I think in the house a little tin box would work as well, if close to a plug, a ground wire could be run to ground and that should work good, thou I havn't tested the idea.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963