Broken Manifold Bolts...NHTSA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gladrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I recently had the infamous broken manifold bolt issue. I chatted on line at the Mopar site and they said they would take my info and if a recall ever happens they will contact me. (Big help that was). I then went to the NHTSA site and issued a complaint. I was wondering if anyone else has issued a complaint there. Here is the link to register a complaint if you decide to. Seems like this happens all time and a recall would be in order.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the broken bolts don't cause a safety issue I doubt the NHTSA would be concerned with this.

Do emissions fall under NHTSA realm?

If so, you could make a case that broken manifold bolts cause emissions into the atmosphere since they dont make it to the cats.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
oh good point, I wasn't thinking of that. However I don't know if emissions is in their realm.

OP
OP
Gladrich

Gladrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well...I guess they are not the right agency after all. Heading over to EPA site to see if they take complaints/comments etc... I'll update the post when I get more info.
The EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality is responsible for ensuring that motor vehicles comply with the federal emission standards throughout the useful life of those vehicles. EPA can require manufacturers to recall vehicles when a substantial number of a class or category of vehicles fail to meet the emission standards. Automobile manufacturers can voluntarily issue recalls for emission-related problems.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA would object and write it up as Operator Error, because owners drive their truck, LOL (J/K)

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A recall like this would cost FCA a ton of cash, replacing manifolds and/or bolts... hours labor. Big bucks.

Thats one issue...the other issue is that it would most likely happen again, even if they did the right thing and replaced the manifolds with new ones.

Clearly there is somewhat of an issue in the design and since the design won't change, we're talking about Einstein's theory of insanity.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
How many hemis never have any issue with exhaust manifold bolts? Making a complaint to a government agency presupposes that there is a fix available that is permanent. Perhaps you could address that in your complaint. Meanwhile, it appears to be the case that the manufacturer is making repairs under warranty if/when the issue comes up within the power train warranty. There isn't anything at all wrong with that approach.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
THis^^^

Federal law requires that FCA cover exhaust (e.g exhaust manifolds) for 2 years or 24,000 miles. On my '13, the warranty for these parts was 3 years/36,000 so there is no federal mandate for FCA to repair these past these terms.

The government WANTS you to buy a new vehicle every few years... the entire system is set up this way. Be glad this isn't some other countries where vehicle year/mileage is mandated or so heavily taxed that a new vehicle purchase is required.

OP
OP
Gladrich

Gladrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I took it to the dealership and got it fixed. I was shocked that it was paid for by my extended warranty which I didn't know I had. I didn't ask for any details on the warranty as I didn't want to screw up a good thing :). The truck is a 2013 with 85K on it. They replaced both manifolds, did some planing and replaced all the bolts. Cost me $100 for deductible. Happy camper now!

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much was the cost w/o your warranty?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How many hemis never have any issue with exhaust manifold bolts? Making a complaint to a government agency presupposes that there is a fix available that is permanent. Perhaps you could address that in your complaint. Meanwhile, it appears to be the case that the manufacturer is making repairs under warranty if/when the issue comes up within the power train warranty. There isn't anything at all wrong with that approach.
xxxx
Until the warranty expires and it happens again.....:emotions122:

Expressonate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2012 1500 5.7 here, left side bolts and gaskets at 92k. Right sid bolts and gaskets at 96k, left side leaking again at 99k. Dealer blamed warped manifolds and said that wasn't a drivetrain warranty deal..... But tell me about having one side of a manifold bolted down and the other side having broken bolts causing uneven heat transfer and warpage.....

Chadlie70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A recall like this would cost FCA a ton of cash, replacing manifolds and/or bolts... hours labor. Big bucks.
Its costing me a ton of $ im about to replace my 4th one here soon. 120,000 mi. Went with stainless on last one will be doing on next one. Also I see they re engineered ex- manifolds for the new year, imagine that.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its costing me a ton of $ im about to replace my 4th one here soon. 120,000 mi. Went with stainless on last one will be doing on next one. Also I see they re engineered ex- manifolds for the new year, imagine that.
Yeah but now the “reengineered” manifolds on the 5th gen’s crack instead of breaking the bolts. Lots of threads on here.

Issue is dissimilar metals with different expansion rates. Causes stress in the system, it’s gotta go somewhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca