Budget for car audio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
OK lol my original post was HOW much, not about who's brand is better and why. Carry on gents.
:)

sorry went OT.

Budgets depends on how deep someone weants to get. For me, I've kept the factory radio for now and added a powered sub and door speakers and thats it, and it works perfect. Some want even more, and will add an aftermarket amplifier, etc.
Then you have an audiophile, that will spend $3000 easy.

So for me, $500...then it can get crazy from there. :)

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
pioneer 33hd with everything needed to install-120 crutch field
kicker and sony 6.5s -150 craigslist and crutch field
2 alpine type r 12s in a ported box -200 craigslist
1000 watt mono alpine amp and wiring 100- craigslist
all said and done about 600 bucks for one rocking system (IMO)

johnnyg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

WOW. that's easily a $1500 system. Type r goes for 150 a pop alone. Great finds. I have mtx thunderform with kicker zx 400.1 and Sony head unit kickers all around the doors and dash. 900 total. Oh yeah an mb quart 80.4 powering the highs. Most bought off eBay thru sonicelectronix and audiosavings.com

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

wow...i have a very similar setup...with head unit and box but with only one alpine type e speaker. i havent replaced the door speakers, but i'm hoping i can find something with a little thump to it.

OP
OP
Coppertone

Coppertone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just trying to see what dollar amount you gentlemen are comfortable spending, and build a system within those parameters.

OP
OP
Coppertone

Coppertone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My main thing is I am going to use what Dodge installed as far as head unit. After that it's all up to you gentlemen as far as what and how far I go.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just curious, why do you feel our products don't fair well?

Too many failures for no apparent reason. Installations were done by Kicker authorized sellers. Two amp failures, one sub failure for the truck. They were not maxed out on volume or gain.

Not sure how you guys got pulled in to MOPAR Accessory lines but I had no luck with that equipment, either.

Sorry, but my experience was very poor and I'm not a shy person. I'll truly say what I think.

I'm sure others have had wonderful experiences with the equipment as evidenced by some of the comments here.

OP
OP
Coppertone

Coppertone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only Kicker product that I've ever used is the amp gauge kit. As such I've never had any problems with it. I've done low end and high end systems, and the bottom line isn't always going to guarantee quality or failure. 90% of it is installation. I just a little more input to determine a middle ground cost wise sound system.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you doin a whole system? Front & rear speakers, sub, amp? what size sub? Using stock speaker sizes? Tweeters? really depends on what you want, and you pretty much get what you pay for...

OP
OP
Coppertone

Coppertone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Initially the factory head unit will remain. I am going to incorporate a dsp, two amps, new battery, one 12 sq subwoofer, and new front speakers with tweeters. In the beginning it will be a passive system, with the option of running active. Hence one four channel amp. I will post up soon the equipment that will be going into this build. Also for those who are thinking it, yes there will be sound deadening.

OP
OP
Coppertone

Coppertone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK the list so far for the Dodge is as follows.
Audiosystem X-ion 70.6 amp
CDT QES 12" subwoofer
JBL MS8 as the processor
IXOS 1/0 gauge amp kit
Viva tweeters from Parts Express.

Next stop is a set of 6.5 midrange for my front doors as I will be keeping the stock speakers as basic rear fill.

OP
OP
Coppertone

Coppertone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Add to that a set if CDT ES06 6.5 midwoofers for the front doors which will now force me to run another set of tweeters in my possession. That will be a set of Scan Speaks...

OP
OP
Coppertone

Coppertone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Selling all of my truck audio gear asap due to my soon to be surgery. I won't be able to drive for three months. So since my other car is a 6 speed manual and my ordered Audi isn't big enough, I have to bite the bullet and buy an automatic. The Subaru will be sold, the dealer has already closed a deal for someone else to by my Audi which leaves me buying an Audi a6 instead. I am still keeping the truck but will not be able to work on it for at least six months. As such I don't want good audio gear to go to waste. I can't post for sale ads as I don't have enough post yet. But if anyone is in need please feel free to contact me.

OP
OP
Coppertone

Coppertone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you as it was a surprise to me especially since I have purchased all of this audio equipment. Now so as it doesn't sit and collect dust, I have to try and sell it all.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Selling all of my truck audio gear asap due to my soon to be surgery. I won't be able to drive for three months. So since my other car is a 6 speed manual and my ordered Audi isn't big enough, I have to bite the bullet and buy an automatic. The Subaru will be sold, the dealer has already closed a deal for someone else to by my Audi which leaves me buying an Audi a6 instead. I am still keeping the truck but will not be able to work on it for at least six months. As such I don't want good audio gear to go to waste. I can't post for sale ads as I don't have enough post yet. But if anyone is in need please feel free to contact me.
First. So sorry to hear you have to have surgery

Second you have enough posts now so be sure to put a thread in the for sale section with what's for sale with prices. Better chance of members seeing it that way

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coppertone

Coppertone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I am finally somebody lol. Knowing this now I will gather up the part numbers and said prices for you fine gents to take advantage of.

OP
OP
Coppertone

Coppertone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK not even 1/3 of what I have for sale has been posted in the classifieds. As I try and remember what all I have in storage, I will post said items. Any questions please feel free to pm me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat