Buy Back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking for experiences. I've had my truck since January. I've had numerous issues with it and some that are on going.

1) Driver door had an air leak. Took 3 visits to address. When it was there the service adviser noticed the exterior molding was also cracked on the pillar of the door which needed replacement. Fixed

2) There's an engine noise that sounds very similar to a pulley bearing that has started ever since 1,000 miles. It has gotten more noticeable to the point where the wife is even asking me what it is and why it's making that noise. This issue is on-going and after my case manager sent me to 2 different dealerships they are now wanting me to go to a 3rd. It has been verified as not normal by both a service manager and a technician when compared to other vehicles on the lot. NOT fixed.

3) Outside temp control was extremely inaccurate. It would read 70F when it was 25F which also had a direct effect on the heated seats and auto climate control operation for remote starts. Fixed.

4) I could not fill my gas tank when first purchased. Apparently the gas hose was twisted at the factory. Fixed.

5) The gauge cluster clear cover was scratched from the factory. Fixed.

6) The 8.4A radio is very slow to respond to inputs, particularly steering volume control as well as the mute button. I have video of audio cutting in and out on USB and radio as well as it locking up entirely so none of the screen works at all. NOT fixed.

7) Remote start fails intermittently. Every few weeks I will remote start the vehicle. It will have the message "remote start in progress" and after about 3 minutes of not starting it says "remote start canceled, please start manually". NOT fixed.

8) The rear window slides open normal about half way and then slows way down and at times has completely stopped opening. Scheduled appointment at the 3rd dealership next week. NOT fixed.

9) The brakes "lock up" specifically when I am changing from drive to reverse. This is especially noticed in my driveway and magnified when backing my boat. I have a gravel driveway and after reversing then braking and then shifting to drive the brakes grab and hold and when they release my tires will spin briefly. This will also be looked at next week. NOT fixed.

10) Lastly, driving home from 2 hours away last evening I got the common and dreaded P0299 code on the EcoD for service electronic throttle control. Many different sources of info for this code but so far it seems there isn't a known fix. I'll have to make an appointment today for this one. Luckily I was still able to drive at speed however my turbo disengaged due to this code and the truck drives like an under powered moped. Obviously NOT fixed.

11) Passenger seat belt would randomly un-latch right after purchasing the truck. Fixed.

12) Timing chain cover seal leaking at 5k. R&R was 3 days. Major repair on this engine. Common issue as well. So far I believe it's fixed.

Thoughts??? After pushing the case manager they did provide a bumper to bumper warranty for 100k with a $100 deductible. However since then even more issues have come up and continue to not get fixed.

I do have a lawyer at my disposal however I am looking for any kind of similar experiences.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a lawyer they can advise you what to do.

First make sure your truck qualifies for it. In most states you must be in for the same thing 3 times and attempted to fix that item 3 times. but all states are different.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first question is just how 2 dealerships says the noise is not normal, THEN DON'T ACTUALLY FIX IT? WTF?

Its ashame dealerships seem to be giving RAM a bad name. Im sure it happens with all brands but Ive been on different brand forums for a while and there seem to be more stories about "not normal, couldnt fix" around here than others.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have Lemon Lawed a vehicle. Take my word on this, DO NOT seek the help of the lawyer at your disposal unless they specialize in Lemon Law. Before I sought a LL Lawyer, my wife worked for a general practice lawyer and I used him. It was 6 months of wasted time as he just didn't know. Every lawyer, if general practice, still specializes in something and only a Lemon Law Lawyer actually knows how to execute LL.

Call a Lemon Law Lawyer in your area to review your case. They will want to see a summary just like you have provided here and copies of all receipts and work orders. After their review, they will advise you where this will go. Most LL Lawyers do not charge for their services, their fees are built into the judgement. You have nothing to lose, make a phone call.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
My first question is just how 2 dealerships says the noise is not normal, THEN DON'T ACTUALLY FIX IT? WTF?

Its ashame dealerships seem to be giving RAM a bad name. Im sure it happens with all brands but Ive been on different brand forums for a while and there seem to be more stories about "not normal, couldnt fix" around here than others.

Yeah all you here is bad stories about dealers over and over
For sure will make you think twice about buying something from FCA.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
:shrug:
Yeah all you here is bad stories about dealers over and over
For sure will make you think twice about buying something from FCA.

At least not new, imho, I think the older the better (up until 08) because in most cases with older trucks, their easier n cheaper to fix and don’t have to deal with the service department bs. If I do buy new I would definitely get the btb lifetime warranty for sure.

Edit: But I will admit that as soon as i physically can’t work on my own trucks anymore, I will be buying new, definitely! And it’s coming sooner then I expected, I’m already feeling the affects of working my ass off lol. Maybe I have one more decade in me, maybe.:shrug:

Last edited:

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
My 2014 V-6 Bighorn was bought back by FCA after numerous issues and lengthy repairs:
1) Overheating - new heads and blown head gasket @13 K miles
2) Bolts in water pump and crankcase not tightened/torqued when repairs for overheating done - Total time 23 days in shop
3) New tranny and torque converter @ 33K miles
4) Cracked oil cooler @ 35 K Miles
5) Fuel line quick connect fitting not connected properly when oil cooler replaced. Gas all over engine compartment when it came loose during starting in my driveway. Dealer detailed vehicle to get smell out.

After all this the service manager put me in the buy-back program. FCA bought my truck back at full retail plus all the upgrades I put on it at retail if I had receipts. I normally don’t keep receipts but for whatever reason I did for the upgrades. FCA ended up giving me a credit for $22K against a new truck. Now I drive a 2016 Longhorn.

The service manager did not need to do this. However he saw the insanity of the situation and stepped in. My Longhorn has been great overall. I don’t have much faith in the techs at the dealer if they leave bolts and fuel line fittings loose. Fortunately the warranty items I had to have fixed on the Longhorn have been minor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh, almost forgot.

12) The timing chain cover was leaking at 5,000 miles. 3 day repair. I haven't noticed leaking again just yet but I suppose I should check on it. So far it's fixed.

Thanks for the responses. I hope I can find a dealership that will assist me with integrity.

As far as the noise and still not fixed even though it was verified, the first dealership basically said don't worry about it. The second dealership is where it was test driven and compared to a like model. They said "It's a diesel, unless it breaks don't be concerned."

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2014 V-6 Bighorn was bought back by FCA after numerous issues and lengthy repairs:
1) Overheating - new heads and blown head gasket @13 K miles
2) Bolts in water pump and crankcase not tightened/torqued when repairs for overheating done - Total time 23 days in shop
3) New tranny and torque converter @ 33K miles
4) Cracked oil cooler @ 35 K Miles
5) Fuel line quick connect fitting not connected properly when oil cooler replaced. Gas all over engine compartment when it came loose during starting in my driveway. Dealer detailed vehicle to get smell out.

After all this the service manager put me in the buy-back program. FCA bought my truck back at full retail plus all the upgrades I put on it at retail if I had receipts. I normally don’t keep receipts but for whatever reason I did for the upgrades. FCA ended up giving me a credit for $22K against a new truck. Now I drive a 2016 Longhorn.

The service manager did not need to do this. However he saw the insanity of the situation and stepped in. My Longhorn has been great overall. I don’t have much faith in the techs at the dealer if they leave bolts and fuel line fittings loose. Fortunately the warranty items I had to have fixed on the Longhorn have been minor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll PM you. Thanks for this detailed response. Glad you were taken care of, I hope my situation will have a similar outcome although I also need to be realistic.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, almost forgot.

12) The timing chain cover was leaking at 5,000 miles. 3 day repair. I haven't noticed leaking again just yet but I suppose I should check on it. So far it's fixed.

Thanks for the responses. I hope I can find a dealership that will assist me with integrity.

As far as the noise and still not fixed even though it was verified, the first dealership basically said don't worry about it. The second dealership is where it was test driven and compared to a like model. They said "It's a diesel, unless it breaks don't be concerned."

Funny, I got a similar response with my 2 issues. Its under warranty, if it breaks we'll handle it.

Which is fine, if I actually believe they would....they spend more time trying to prove other trucks do it to, than actually looking at/for the issue.

So, exactly what makes me think they will actually fix it if it ever came down to that?

TBH, though, I took my Infiniti to an Infiniti dealer because of a couple cluinks I was hearing. $130 diagnostic fee later, they had non-answers for them (blamed a vibration on my CAI ? and the clunking on nothing "couldnt hear it"). But they did give me a $2K list of stuff that "needs to be rectified"..... Point being, it doesnt seem unique to FCA anymore. At least 5 or 10 years ago, Lexus, Infiniti, etc were better in regards to service. Now its just a matter of "sorry no code, talk to us when there is".

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
For a brand loyalist like myself, Podcast experience is not only disappointing but disgusting. Can only hope that when FCA-Ram buys these trucks back. They look at the date of assembly and the shift that built it. But real world, doubt that it happens. FCA-Ram is replacing my 2018 2500 with 6000 miles for a factory assembly defect that cannot be corrected. Hassle, of course. Did the dealer try to correct, yes. Did FCA do the right thing, yes.
It is stunning that one customer can take delivery of their truck and find that assembly and function is perfect. Another customer, same exact truck same assembly plant and we hear stories like this.
The need for an attorney clearly depends on that States lemon law and the type of defect the customer is experiencing. Fully agree, if a attorney is needed, choose one that has experience in that sate and will answer your questions. How long, how many cases, how many have they won. Best to get a responsible referral from some one you trust.
Side bar. We understand that the new 2019 2500 will come out of the Warren expansion plant next door to the Warren 1500 plant in 1/2019. Will the assembly quality be better???

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
It's all relative. My buddy is going through hell with Ford right now.

Well I bought many GMs and 3 Fords and would not have went back and bought another if they had just blown me off instead of fixing my stuff.
Only had my Ram back to the dealer one time , they did not have time for me and made me feel like I was bothering them.
I went and took care of it myself and more than likely wont go back to that dealer again.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I bought many GMs and 3 Fords and would not have went back and bought another if they had just blown me off instead of fixing my stuff.
Only had my Ram back to the dealer one time , they did not have time for me and made me feel like I was bothering them.
I went and took care of it myself and more than likely wont go back to that dealer again.
Like I said, experiences are relative. Yours different from others. Sounds in your case the dealership was the culprit of your experience. That sicks since it's the face of the company.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
OP can you elaborate how you found the timing chain leak? I have a 17 with close to 8k, curious what triggered you to look and find that leak?

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never had 1 problem with GM or Ford and warranty work.

I bought a new 2000 S10 Blazer which had an issue with the drivers seat. The seat would randomly pop out of place and slide back to the next setting while you were driving. Long story short, we took it to 1 GM dealer 3 times who couldn't fix it. Took it to another GM dealer who fixed it on our 1st visit. It can happen with any dealer.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm currently in the midst of a lemon law claim myself with my 2018 Ram 1500 sport with 2500 miles on it. Mine is a relatively minor issue but none the less, I'm paying for a truck that does not work as advertised. So we'll see how FCA handles my case.