Buying 1999 Dodge Ram Sport 55k miles $7,995 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

trailsendcabin

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine
Our Location is Asheville Nc, we looked for weeks, this was the best we could find. We already spent $2,000.00 gettting his Chevy truck fixed only a month later the engine blows, now it is $4,500.00 for new engine. We want a big truck for saftey he was in an accident 2 months ago (lady hit him) and I was hit by a semi truck 3 years so saftey is an issue with us. It is a gamble on any used vehicle, I still feel its a little overpriced, we offered $6,500.00 cash for it (its a car dealorship) they would only come down $300.00 another person was there willing to pay full price for it while we were dickering on price.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I seen one just like it for sale in TN. There is a red one that looks like it in NC with 64000miles and they want $12999 crazy I guess they think it is gold. Good luck finding a truck

OP
OP
T

trailsendcabin

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine
Umm....I think that is what we did, he is grinning in his sleep, but he's a good kid, hard worker. I'm guessing he will have that truck till it dies.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
**** buy mine for 8k.

But no it's not for sale lol.

Attachments

• IMG02205.jpg
    IMG02205.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Our Location is Asheville Nc, we looked for weeks, this was the best we could find. We already spent $2,000.00 gettting his Chevy truck fixed only a month later the engine blows, now it is $4,500.00 for new engine. We want a big truck for saftey he was in an accident 2 months ago (lady hit him) and I was hit by a semi truck 3 years so saftey is an issue with us. It is a gamble on any used vehicle, I still feel its a little overpriced, we offered $6,500.00 cash for it (its a car dealorship) they would only come down $300.00 another person was there willing to pay full price for it while we were dickering on price.

I think it looks clean, might be a pretty good deal. Believe it or not, driving a big truck does not make you more safe. In fact, a lot of these trucks had relatively poor crash test rating, and Smart Cars and Priuses are far safer in an accident.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it looks clean, might be a pretty good deal. Believe it or not, driving a big truck does not make you more safe. In fact, a lot of these trucks had relatively poor crash test rating, and Smart Cars and Priuses are far safer in an accident.
Not if my truck hits one at 80.

Two words.

Field goal.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
I have a yellow regular cab short bed 99 ram. Paid $2000 for it on eBay 3 years ago with like 115k. And it had some nice aftermarket stuff done like intake, exhaust, wheels, stereo. But mine is 2wd... I'd say that's a $4500-5000 truck. I'll bet you any amount of money that that dealership got the truck in on trade from an older person and I bet they have about $1500 into the truck. (I run a dealership, I know how much they have into trade in vehicles lol)

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi

but at least I will DIE in a good looking ride !!!!!!!

brianj

OP
OP
T

trailsendcabin

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine
You are right they got it from an older couple, they traded it for a SUV, they had 4 vehicles and this had just sat in the garage, they hardly drove it. I was guessing they may have at the most $2,000.00 trade or less. Had a son that worked for car dealership so I know how cheap they get these vehicles.
I think what we are paying IS on the high side. We offered $6,500.00 cash they turned it down. We have had Ford, Chevy trucks for 25, we just like the Dodge the best. Heck 2 of my kids work for GM you would not believe the discounts we get on GM vehicles practically can steal them, and other son works for BMW, in Germany right now on the design team, can steal a BMW but they don't make trucks. So we just decided to "bit the bullet" and get it. I guess when our 2 new Dodge Rams die, we suck it up and go for the big discount and resign our self to a Chevy and suck it up. Chevy claims to be built like a rock, well actually like a pebble. The one we had for 17 years Silverado 4x4 had 143k miles on it no problems with it, we gave it to grandson and 6 months later engine blew and that kid babied the thing. Oh well we will see how this one holds out, the kid and I will maintance the heck out of it. Not to mention having fun decking it out.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You are right they got it from an older couple, they traded it for a SUV, they had 4 vehicles and this had just sat in the garage, they hardly drove it. I was guessing they may have at the most $2,000.00 trade or less. Had a son that worked for car dealership so I know how cheap they get these vehicles.
I think what we are paying IS on the high side. We offered $6,500.00 cash they turned it down. We have had Ford, Chevy trucks for 25, we just like the Dodge the best. Heck 2 of my kids work for GM you would not believe the discounts we get on GM vehicles practically can steal them, and other son works for BMW, in Germany right now on the design team, can steal a BMW but they don't make trucks. So we just decided to "bit the bullet" and get it. I guess when our 2 new Dodge Rams die, we suck it up and go for the big discount and resign our self to a Chevy and suck it up. Chevy claims to be built like a rock, well actually like a pebble. The one we had for 17 years Silverado 4x4 had 143k miles on it no problems with it, we gave it to grandson and 6 months later engine blew and that kid babied the thing. Oh well we will see how this one holds out, the kid and I will maintance the heck out of it. Not to mention having fun decking it out.
We'll you're in the right place for both of those :D

Seriously though plenty of guys here who know their **** and will tell you the right way to do things

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
I think you should pass on the truck. If you are worried about safety these trucks aren't it. For one it has a sport bumper which can't take nearly the beating of a steel bumper. And 90% of the time the air bags in these trucks will not go off. You should look at a newer truck for the 7k you are willing to spend.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I think 7 is fair to be honest. The truck looks like it just got off the showroom.

OP
OP
T

trailsendcabin

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine
Yeah I took that into consideration, the bumper, I hit a guy with my 2011 Dodge Laramie, moon shaped the bumper, didn't put a dint in his beater car DUH! then grandson hit a woman who slammed on her brakes in SUV he tried to miss her pushed the bumper in and warped it on the 97 Chevy, again she had no damage and neither one of these trucks did the air bags go off and it was a hard hit. Of course she claimed neck injury, grandson was fine. Go figure!

OP
OP
T

trailsendcabin

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine
You could eat your dinner off the engine, it is clean. I think I want it more so than anything mid life crisis, needing something to fool with, grandson will take care of it, he will be driving it 2 blocks to school for now.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
You could eat your dinner off the engine, it is clean. I think I want it more so than anything mid life crisis, needing something to fool with, grandson will take care of it, he will be driving it 2 blocks to school for now.

What do you plan on doing to it?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Just found the pix of it, nice clean truck that's for sure. But it's old, value is in the eye of the beholder and buyer lol. I would pass and look for a club cab. Unless u want to limit how many people ride with him that is.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^and there may be merit to that for sure. less distractions. 8 bones seems like a lot though. but it is clean. is the kid OK with the yum yum yellow or whatever they call it? :) top banana whatever it's called.