Bypass Factory Integrated Trailer Brake Controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EwaK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, I have 2017 1500 sport and I am 98% sure I need a new ABS control module, but I won't be able to get a replacement soon enough. I have a trip coming up next weekend that I would like to pull my holiday trailer. With a dead ABS module that also leaves me without the use of my factory trailer brake controller.

Would I be able to bypass the integrated trailer brake controller with something like AlfaOBD and install an aftermarket brake controller for the interim until I can replace the ABS module? Or will the dead ABS module still cause me grief when trying to set up an aftermarket brake controller?

Basically I am trying to weigh out some options to avoid having to borrow my in-laws Chevy

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I agree with the above, I would just borrow a truck. It's going to be safer than driving a truck with a faulty ABS module. Yes, your brakes still work, but not the way they're intended, which means things could get unpredictable.

Other option (which may not be an option since I don't know what kind of trip this is) is to delay the trip until you've got the new parts and can test to make sure it fixed the problem.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Borrow the Chevy. If the controller is faulty, it could act up on the drive. A 3rd party brake controller likely would still act up, as I assume it would still need to talk to the truck brake controller (the one for the truck brakes itself), to know when to trigger/how hard, and if the controller in the truck is spotty/acting weird... Then you are likely still screwed. Try the local stealership/trusted 3rd party repair place, see if they can diag it better, and maybe have the parts to fix it on hand.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Would I be able to bypass the integrated trailer brake controller with something like AlfaOBD and install an aftermarket brake controller for the interim until I can replace the ABS module? Or will the dead ABS module still cause me grief when trying to set up an aftermarket brake controller?
I'll second what the other said about not using the truck to pull a trailer till the ABS is working correctly.

As for using an aftermarket brake controller if the truck has the OEM one. You can unplug the 4-pin plug from the module and use an adapter to plug an aftermarket controller. None of the trailer brake integration stuff will function but aftermarket will work. Don't unplug the 10-pin out of the module, it will cause faults.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll second what the other said about not using the truck to pull a trailer till the ABS is working correctly.

As for using an aftermarket brake controller if the truck has the OEM one. You can unplug the 4-pin plug from the module and use an adapter to plug an aftermarket controller. None of the trailer brake integration stuff will function but aftermarket will work. Don't unplug the 10-pin out of the module, it will cause faults.
What he said. I did it on my 2016 Sport yesterday with a Tokonsha P3 and the P3 worked perfectly

zrock

Reaction score
why do you suspect your ABS module is bad? As said above you can get a adapter harness to bypass factory and add aftermarket controller.. Not sure why the trailer brakes need to see ABS but who knows just found out mine needed a fuse replaced that i removed when i removed air suspension...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not sure why the trailer brakes need to see ABS but who knows just found out mine needed a fuse replaced that i removed when i removed air suspension...
The OEM trailer brakes are controlled in part with information from the ABS system, they use vehicle speed and braking force in part to determine braking force. Also there is the trail stability control.
If there's problems with the ABS system, it's not a good idea to drive the vehicle let alone tow a trailer.

murderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The OEM trailer brakes are controlled in part with information from the ABS system, they use vehicle speed and braking force in part to determine braking force. Also there is the trail stability control.
If there's problems with the ABS system, it's not a good idea to drive the vehicle let alone tow a trailer.
My Ram is a 2018-2500 versus the OP's 2017-1500, but I would imagine that the OEM trailer brake controller functions similarly. My ABS has had a fault for probably over a year now, and it is very common issue with these trucks, to the point that the replacement parts have been on national backorder for a while.

Rather than hearing the super annoying chime every few seconds as the controller faults then resets, I simply pulled the ABS fuse until the parts become available. I tow an 8,500# trailer routinely with my truck, including over 500 miles much of it at TX highway speeds (75MPH+) just this past weekend, and the trailer brakes function perfectly fine with the ABS system completely disabled.

Yes, ABS is a desirable feature, but people drove vehicles for decades before it was invented, including pulling trailers.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My Ram is a 2018-2500 versus the OP's 2017-1500, but I would imagine that the OEM trailer brake controller functions similarly. My ABS has had a fault for probably over a year now, and it is very common issue with these trucks, to the point that the replacement parts have been on national backorder for a while.

Rather than hearing the super annoying chime every few seconds as the controller faults then resets, I simply pulled the ABS fuse until the parts become available. I tow an 8,500# trailer routinely with my truck, including over 500 miles much of it at TX highway speeds (75MPH+) just this past weekend, and the trailer brakes function perfectly fine with the ABS system completely disabled.

Yes, ABS is a desirable feature, but people drove vehicles for decades before it was invented, including pulling trailers.
I agree that lots of us have driven many years with no ABS ,and even no trailer brakes , however there are several generations that have grown up with all the safety features available, and they may have no experience without the extras . Thus a potential hazard. I prefer other drivers have all the tools available to help keep them from smashing into my vehicle.

murderman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I agree that lots of us have driven many years with no ABS ,and even no trailer brakes , however there are several generations that have grown up with all the safety features available, and they may have no experience without the extras . Thus a potential hazard. I prefer other drivers have all the tools available to help keep them from smashing into my vehicle.
Please note that I did not suggest pulling the trailer without trailer brakes.

The primary point of my previous post was that the OEM trailer brake controller function is not affected by ABS.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I grew up learning on vehicles that didn't even have power brakes. The bigger problem is when you're used to having the safety features, and then suddenly they aren't there when you expect them to be.

Regardless, I would still say that OP needs to borrow a truck if theirs cannot be repaired in time.