CAI - Check this thing out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm bored at work and looking through Ram things in eBay and came across this. I'm by no means in need of one and I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I thought I'd put this out there and hear what kind of opinions people have.

RED 2009-2011 2012 DODGE HEMI RAM 1500 2500 3500 5.7 5.7L COLD AIR INTAKE KIT

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The link doesn't go to a Ram specific kit, but I'm assuming it is 1 of the cheap chrome kits that are posted all over ebay. If so, these kits use metal tubing which will absorb heat. They also do not have an airbox which means it will suck in engine heat and also be very noisy on the highway. On top of this, they typically use very cheap quality filters that do not filter dust and dirt near as well as the brand name filters available. These kits are usually made in China as well, and you can barely understand the product descriptions because the people that write them speak very little English. In the end, you do get what you pay for with these kits.

This is all based on experience with these kits, but the one you were trying to link to may be different. Post the actual link when you get a second so that we can check it out.

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Bingo...that is exactly what I was thinking of. Check out these lines from their item description as well...haha

"NOT FIT if your car have Throttle Body Spacer"
"NOT FIT if your car have After Market Turbo Kit"
"We will ship out the shipment within 2 business day after we received your payment. Excepted Holidays"
"Tracking confirmation number will be sent email after order is process"
"We accepted all major credit cards"

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I suppose it could work if you change the filter to K&N also prep then spray the tubing with silver ceramic paint. Then You just have to fab up a cold air box.

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I would rather get a popular brand of CAI unless there are many good reviews about that intake on ebay.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes sir... spend your cash on a brand name. You'll be gald you did in the long run.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Increase 5 -15 HP (no actual gain chart)

HAHAHA
For all the materials it comes with it's not a bad deal, but Matt had a great point that it uses metal tubing which absorbs heat. There's a reason the high quaklity stuff is plastic, and it isn't to be cheap. that, combined with a filter of questionable quality would kee me away.

"Hey- wanna go snorkeling? I got these scuba masks cheap from China. They say we should be able breathe underwater OK."
Would you let your truck breathe through a P.O.S. filter? I hope not.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe if my truck were worth $2K, I would consider it. I for sure would never use their crappy filter. You could always add your own. Since there are many quality alternatives for us, I wouldn't even consider this garbage. You'd be much better off running stock -- with a drop-in.