Cam and supporting mod questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Reasonably certain im going to order this
https://www.compcams.com/zex-purple-racing-shirt-mk112-303-11.html
as well as their valve spring compressor. I will put air into each cylinder to keep the valves up. The valve seals don't leak so i will be leaving those alone.

Truck is an 05 quad cab short bed. 2wd. 4.56 rear end. I cant find headers that specify 2wd. Will 4x4 headers work? Who would you recommend for tuning? Is valve lash set like avery other hydraulic lifter? No lash and 1/4 turn? I dont want to run cats, who can tune the truck and eliminate rear o2s?

OP
OP
A

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The more i think about it, how necessary is it to change the lifters? are they prone to failure?

OP
OP
A

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Does anybody know of a tuner that can write me a base tune with HP tuners? I tune my sleds and side by sides with Dynoport, but would be nice to see someone come out with hp tuners maps for our trucks. Why isnt there? Less money to be made?

Any experience with Howards cams?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
as well as their valve spring compressor. I will put air into each cylinder to keep the valves up. The valve seals don't leak so i will be leaving those alone.

Truck is an 05 quad cab short bed. 2wd. 4.56 rear end. I cant find headers that specify 2wd. Will 4x4 headers work? Who would you recommend for tuning? Is valve lash set like avery other hydraulic lifter? No lash and 1/4 turn? I dont want to run cats, who can tune the truck and eliminate rear o2s?
If you're looking at long tubes, check out Pacesetter 72C2211. They have a coated Y pipe to match it. Apparently you haven't been under your valve covers lol. No adjustment on rocker shaft Mopars lol. Stab and seat the pushrods in the lifters, set the rocker shaft with arms in place, start tightening in sequence. Ensure pushrods are in place. Torque to spec. Anyone with the ability to custom tune (CMR or HPtuners) can write out your rear O2's (and EGR should you decide to remove it). Probably want a higher stall converter with that cam, though the 4.56's will help. Higher rpm cam ina heavy ass quad cab can work but needs the supporting mods.

The more i think about it, how necessary is it to change the lifters? are they prone to failure?
Can't hurt, especially if they come with the kit. If you don't have a ****load of miles on the lifters then they should be fine. People have swapped all kinds of cams without pulling heads to swap lifters. Never really heard of non-MDS lifters taking a **** anyway (160k+ on my original set in my truck).

Does anybody know of a tuner that can write me a base tune with HP tuners? I tune my sleds and side by sides with Dynoport, but would be nice to see someone come out with hp tuners maps for our trucks. Why isnt there? Less money to be made?

You'll have to do some searching on that one (maybe someone will pipe up with some names), most truck hemi tuners use CMR. LX tuners tend to use HPtuners more since it works so much better in the cars.

OP
OP
A

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If you're looking at long tubes, check out Pacesetter 72C2211. They have a coated Y pipe to match it. Apparently you haven't been under your valve covers lol. No adjustment on rocker shaft Mopars lol. Stab and seat the pushrods in the lifters, set the rocker shaft with arms in place, start tightening in sequence. Ensure pushrods are in place. Torque to spec. Anyone with the ability to custom tune (CMR or HPtuners) can write out your rear O2's (and EGR should you decide to remove it). Probably want a higher stall converter with that cam, though the 4.56's will help. Higher rpm cam ina heavy ass quad cab can work but needs the supporting mods.

Can't hurt, especially if they come with the kit. If you don't have a ****load of miles on the lifters then they should be fine. People have swapped all kinds of cams without pulling heads to swap lifters. Never really heard of non-MDS lifters taking a **** anyway (160k+ on my original set in my truck).

You'll have to do some searching on that one (maybe someone will pipe up with some names), most truck hemi tuners use CMR. LX tuners tend to use HPtuners more since it works so much better in the cars.

Youre right. Never been under the covers. Wasnt sure if they shared a shaft or what. Thats easy enough.

I dont think im going to do the lifters. Truck is high mileage, but the heads have never been off so i want to leave them until the engine lets go.

My biggest issue with CMR is that i cant do anything with it. You have to be a shop to even purchase it.

Thanks @HemiLonestar for the reply.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Youre right. Never been under the covers. Wasnt sure if they shared a shaft or what. Thats easy enough.

I dont think im going to do the lifters. Truck is high mileage, but the heads have never been off so i want to leave them until the engine lets go.

My biggest issue with CMR is that i cant do anything with it. You have to be a shop to even purchase it.

Thanks @HemiLonestar for the reply.
Yep, dual rocker shafts, just like its two predecessors:

17534809-c58d-11e6-815e-11c196ac9a02r.jpgDyno-5-650x433.jpg354.jpg

OP
OP
A

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So, i sent Howards cams a question regarding their base circle so i could determine which pushrods to use. I asked about this cam
https://www.howardscams.com/hydraul...57l-61l-hemi-1600-5600-howards-cams-786875-12
What i got back was "Base circle radius on intake 19.8mm & exhaust 19.4mm"

Which means a diameter of 1.559" on the intake and 1.527" on the exhaust.

Then i come across this information
5.7 cam base circle diameter 1.615-1.620"
6.1 and all smaller aftermarket cams base circle diameter 1.540"
and i become further intrigued.

Any suggestions? Would you even run a howards cam? Just use 6.1 pushrods?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not for a hemi, so many better options. Hughes is best for LA's & Magnums. Just to name a few, Inertia, MMX, HHP just right off the top of my head. Vastly more 3G-4G hemi experience.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

From my personal experience, I would also recommend pacesetters as for the price they do a give a good performance gain(Had truck cammed when it still had stock exhaust) an after that an converter I had better gains theN just the cam. I’m still on stock lifters at 135k miles(have owned truck since 54k)it seems to be a 09+ hemi problem we just worry more about valve springs. Seems like as time goes us HEMI truck guys are gettin a wee bit more support but being 3rd gens we are kinda left behind compared to the 4th gen an lx cars