Camshaft and rocker and overall MOD QUESTIONS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Ugh lol

Ffdynamics make a great kit for these trucks even if they are a tad pricey. You should be able to run a diesel radiator, but there's really no point, the stock radiators on these trucks do there jobs and do them well. It's the rest of the cooling system sans water pump that will usually fail if it does. .
As far as the turbo kit goes ugh I hate to say this but Peppy may have a point. And a note about price, yes a proper build may run you that much but in the event that you decide to do something drastic like FI, nitrous, or a Stroked build, those mods as well as a few others will keep you going in the power department until you get scared to drive it. In other words they support a lot more power than you may be seeing immediately. The growth rate here is exponential. It starts off slow and then shoots up lol.

Not what i was expecting lol. It's not necessarily my recommendation because the only person running it is the creator. I couldn't find a link either but i can talk to the guy if you're interested.

Very true. My m1 swap for example, truck was a dog until nearly 3500rpm. Simple bolt ons are fun so if you go all out, total power or numbers may not be huge but it's plenty of fun

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Screw hughes.
I know Huges is overpriced when it comes to most products there, and if I'm not mistaken the tunes are just Hemifever. But they have never let me down when I had a question to ask, and that is great. I'd love to see some flow rates and comparisons of the intakes for our trucks. I know on Huges he claims the aircrap "is the best intake available" but aparently yall think otherwise.

If the M1 does provide better gains I would be interested in swapping mine for an M1. Since I already have the airgap I don't know if it's worth the time/effort/money depending on how much I can resell for.
FlyinRyan tune- $930 (ouch i know but you can get the price down by not going directly through his site)

Try contacting him directly? He won't respond to my emails, though I'd be more serious once I get wideband O2 installed.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I know Huges is overpriced when it comes to most products there, and if I'm not mistaken the tunes are just Hemifever. But they have never let me down when I had a question to ask, and that is great. I'd love to see some flow rates and comparisons of the intakes for our trucks. I know on Huges he claims the aircrap "is the best intake available" but aparently yall think otherwise.

If the M1 does provide better gains I would be interested in swapping mine for an M1. Since I already have the airgap I don't know if it's worth the time/effort/money depending on how much I can resell for.

Try contacting him directly? He won't respond to my emails, though I'd be more serious once I get wideband O2 installed.
Hughes tunes aren't hemifever. They're PIE. I'll dig up some photos of PIE aftermath.

Just keep your airgap. Yes the m1 is better but airgap isn't horrible and for the money and hassle you'll spend, in my opinion it isn't worth it. If you're going all out stroker and stuff you'll want a 4bbl m1 anyways.
Here's flow rates:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/performance/manifolds.html

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
What email address are you sending to. I am a little behind on emails.

I was sending emails to the flyinryanporting address

Hughes tunes aren't hemifever. They're PIE. I'll dig up some photos of PIE aftermath.

Just keep your airgap. Yes the m1 is better but airgap isn't horrible and for the money and hassle you'll spend, in my opinion it isn't worth it. If you're going all out stroker and stuff you'll want a 4bbl m1 anyways.
Here's flow rates:
Testing intake manifolds for the 5.2 / 5.9 Magnum V8 engines

Thanks for the link. Sad that it's the lowest of the bunch aftermarket wise. Mine is ported so that might help a little. The improvement from that to the M1 just isn't that much, but price wise I wish I would have went with the M1.

OP
OP
Z

zakfarias

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 MAGNUM
So, where are these M1 intakes available anymore?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Remember Tyler, the 4bbl M1 is essentially made for A bodies with Magnum swaps. It isn't all about flow. RM-Indy on DF had a blown 408 with a 4bbl M1 and he didn't like it, took it off and put a 2bbl M1 back on.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, where are these M1 intakes available anymore?

Legend has it that they occasionally pop up on Dakota classifieds on Facebook and on forums. I believe summit still sells the carbed 4bbl version which can be machined for injectors (only differences are non machined injector bosses and factory machines bosses). Although I wouldn't expect those to last too much longer either.
A note about this 4bbl business. I agree with DodgeDude. 4 bbls are hardly worth it even with a two barrel adapter as they flow so much. They are much better on something like a turbo or sc build just for that fact, As on a naturally aspirated motor (stroked or not) the huge runner area is going to knock down exhaust velocity a lot when compared to say the 2bbl. Meaning not a lot of ponies and torques to get you going. Which isn't a bad thing if your ring and pinion gear are say 4.56 on 33" tires :hidesbehindsofa:. But for something of a top end, boosted, 500+ crank hp build, I would easily say the 4bbl is more desirable. (Flame me Will).
The reason I say a prefabbed turbo set up may be beneficial here is only if you tear the kit apart like peppy said and use parts that work together. When building a turbo system that is actually functional and will be able to run more than 2-3 lbs of boost, some serious modifications to the fueling and computer system need to be made. I do not like the kit because the creator does not disclose turbo specs and insists on using stock fuel systems and his own "tuning". Of course from the bs video he showed, his power increased accordingly meaning he isn't making as much as he can from a proper turbo set up. Also it would appear that he has taken the listing down from eBay. So that may not even be an option at this point. Pm myself or peppy and we will get you in touch with the guy that makes it if you end up really wanting to pursue this route.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Remember Tyler, the 4bbl M1 is essentially made for A bodies with Magnum swaps. It isn't all about flow. RM-Indy on DF had a blown 408 with a 4bbl M1 and he didn't like it, took it off and put a 2bbl M1 back on.

He the one with a procharged 408 96 indy? If he is he's got a 4bbl painted black now

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Legend has it that they occasionally pop up on Dakota classifieds on Facebook and on forums. I believe summit still sells the carbed 4bbl version which can be machined for injectors (only differences are non machined injector bosses and factory machines bosses). Although I wouldn't expect those to last too much longer either.
A note about this 4bbl business. I agree with DodgeDude. 4 bbls are hardly worth it even with a two barrel adapter as they flow so much. They are much better on something like a turbo or sc build just for that fact, As on a naturally aspirated motor (stroked or not) the huge runner area is going to knock down exhaust velocity a lot when compared to say the 2bbl. Meaning not a lot of ponies and torques to get you going. Which isn't a bad thing if your ring and pinion gear are say 4.56 on 33" tires :hidesbehindsofa:. But for something of a top end, boosted, 500+ crank hp build, I would easily say the 4bbl is more desirable. (Flame me Will).
The reason I say a prefabbed turbo set up may be beneficial here is only if you tear the kit apart like peppy said and use parts that work together. When building a turbo system that is actually functional and will be able to run more than 2-3 lbs of boost, some serious modifications to the fueling and computer system need to be made. I do not like the kit because the creator does not disclose turbo specs and insists on using stock fuel systems and his own "tuning". Of course from the bs video he showed, his power increased accordingly meaning he isn't making as much as he can from a proper turbo set up. Also it would appear that he has taken the listing down from eBay. So that may not even be an option at this point. Pm myself or peppy and we will get you in touch with the guy that makes it if you end up really wanting to pursue this route.

I agree with the 4bbl being too much for the most part but it's possible to make it work. However you can get prob better drivability with even the airgap.

Yeah he took it down. Aparently he's waiting on a patent. Idk, dudes paranoid that somebody is gonna steal his design. Kinda idiotic since the market for these isn't very big at all. Anybody that wants to steal it anyways just has to buy it and make 1 tiny change such as am extra bend in the header pipe and maybe a different turbo and voila guy just ripped it off

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think I know the guy you're talking about. Ripped into him a few times on a fb page. A complete idiot that's trying to sell his backyard motor grenade.

Wouldnt disclose a single thing about the kit, what turbo it is, any parameters of his "tune", anything important that you should know about what you're installing. His only input to cover his ass from a lawsuit was "professional installation recommended".

Package probably includes an ebay kit and a used volvo turbo from a junk yard. And the only dyno or proof of "results" was his friend saying "Ive seen this thing race, and it's fast".

IMO

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I think I know the guy you're talking about. Ripped into him a few times on a fb page. A complete idiot that's trying to sell his backyard motor grenade.

Wouldnt disclose a single thing about the kit, what turbo it is, any parameters of his "tune", anything important that you should know about what you're installing. His only input to cover his ass from a lawsuit was "professional installation recommended".

Package probably includes an ebay kit and a used volvo turbo from a junk yard. And the only dyno or proof of "results" was his friend saying "Ive seen this thing race, and it's fast".

IMO

Andrew Hammond. You're missing the big part though: for $2300 you don't have to fab headers, down pipe, turbo piping or intercooler, and you can throw any damn turbo bov yout want, just add fuel and tuning

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
But you're "paying" for the turbo and the "tuning" at $2300. If you could get this homemade kit minus the parts that turn your motor to dust.. Then it would make sense.

(On a side note, I have zero interest in putting any sort of forced induction on my truck... I'm just making observations and looking out for someone who doesn't have a clue, which is probably his target buyers.)

IMO

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
But you're "paying" for the turbo and the "tuning" at $2300. If you could get this homemade kit minus the parts that turn your motor to dust.. Then it would make sense.

(On a side note, I have zero interest in putting any sort of forced induction on my truck... I'm just making observations and looking out for someone who doesn't have a clue, which is probably his target buyers.)

IMO

What's your point? Most people don't have the fab skills to build custom headers and put together a piping system that works. Maybe I'm weird but i see that $2300 as an investment in my time, time i dint have to spend a hundred hours of trying to fab or make things work. And if you dont have the tools to do so, it's still going to cost the same or more. No the kit is not complete. But, the hard part is. It's nothing to swap injectors and fuel pump, crank the boost on what i have a hunch is an ON3 or similar, and plug in your sct. I'm not promoting it but I'm also not outright attacking it either. It CAN work out to be a good deal. All I'm saying. Besides, everybody's gotta start somewhere and jump right in if they ever wanna build something cool. That's exactly what I've done with my daily and hopefully within the next 3 months I'll have a home built Vortech V2 kit on mine

OP
OP
Z

zakfarias

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 MAGNUM
Yeah I agree with all of the previous few posts on the turbo, I would be interested in a kit solely for the turbo manifolds and piping. I would rather select my own make of turbo, blow off, wastegate, injectors, and fueling. Tuning would have to be dyno for absolute accuracy; which means it could be safer to run 10-14 psi without blowing out the bottom end. Add a thicker head gasket to drop compression and you could increase the safety margin some more.

For any moderators, I would like to use this thread as a "build" thread over time for only engine/performance mods to show the effects of mods on this motor.

As I start this project I will follow the above guidelines of there being several major steps in the build. After each individual part install I will use 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as reference numbers for everyone. And at the end of each major install step I will have the truck visit a dyno to get real numbers.

However, that's in the future.

Still have to nail down an official and efficient order of what parts to purchase and install. I don't think I will compare multiple versions of the same parts unless someone else wants to sponsor to pay for them. I want to select what should be the best parts AVAILABLE at the time.

I think twin turbo would be fun as hell, but if I were to do that I need to really now down some options for getting the basic starter parts (manifold and etc) before I can plan out the rest of the build. That way I know what compression numbers I need on the stock motor, and I can organize mods to allow the motor to run better at the high end rather than low to mid and MOD to allow it to rev quicker (underdrive pulleys, e - fan, intake manifold, heads, ) yadah yadah yadah.

I would also be interested in super charging, I called pro charger and they have a kit for the 96-03. However, they don't know if it will work on 94-95 since they never tried it (company didn't open until 94) and what sucks is that there is no return if it won't bolt in. I would think it should work being a same generation truck and power plant. Only difference is the obd 1 vs 2 which is only an issue for tuning I'd think.

What about SDConcepts for a TT? I know it is priced muccccchhhh higher but it is complete.

And always still looking on input for regular mods and tweaks! Research 500 times, spend once, install once....please haha (fingers crossed)

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I agree with all of the previous few posts on the turbo, I would be interested in a kit solely for the turbo manifolds and piping. I would rather select my own make of turbo, blow off, wastegate, injectors, and fueling. Tuning would have to be dyno for absolute accuracy; which means it could be safer to run 10-14 psi without blowing out the bottom end. Add a thicker head gasket to drop compression and you could increase the safety margin some more.

For any moderators, I would like to use this thread as a "build" thread over time for only engine/performance mods to show the effects of mods on this motor.

As I start this project I will follow the above guidelines of there being several major steps in the build. After each individual part install I will use 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as reference numbers for everyone. And at the end of each major install step I will have the truck visit a dyno to get real numbers.

However, that's in the future.

Still have to nail down an official and efficient order of what parts to purchase and install. I don't think I will compare multiple versions of the same parts unless someone else wants to sponsor to pay for them. I want to select what should be the best parts AVAILABLE at the time.

I think twin turbo would be fun as hell, but if I were to do that I need to really now down some options for getting the basic starter parts (manifold and etc) before I can plan out the rest of the build. That way I know what compression numbers I need on the stock motor, and I can organize mods to allow the motor to run better at the high end rather than low to mid and MOD to allow it to rev quicker (underdrive pulleys, e - fan, intake manifold, heads, ) yadah yadah yadah.

I would also be interested in super charging, I called pro charger and they have a kit for the 96-03. However, they don't know if it will work on 94-95 since they never tried it (company didn't open until 94) and what sucks is that there is no return if it won't bolt in. I would think it should work being a same generation truck and power plant. Only difference is the obd 1 vs 2 which is only an issue for tuning I'd think.

What about SDConcepts for a TT? I know it is priced muccccchhhh higher but it is complete.

And always still looking on input for regular mods and tweaks! Research 500 times, spend once, install once....please haha (fingers crossed)

Only issues with procharger and even the TT kit are going to be tuning. As it's been well established for your application, even with cams, heads, intakes swaps etc. you're going to want tuning. I would consider the electronic upgrades first and foremost, and then go from there, probably hard parts like intakes and heads, then the hardest part: deciding how far you're going lol. If you're going to want to do some serious FI mods, then I would build the set up first and base the cam off of the flow characteristics of your set up. Otherwise, it would probably be advisable to discuss some of your plans with an established engine builder/tuner and see what they recommend as far as a cam. That's one part you don't want to have to come back and swap out. fueling system upgrades should be estimated based on how much horsepower you anticipate running and what your tuner recommends.
You should also consider some drivetrain mods for power as well. For an engine that makes all of its power after 3k, you're probably going to want a gearing set that, like you said, allows you to spin your motor up sooner and so forth. Those kinds of modifications are also crucial to deciding on a cam design, so definitely nail down a plan of action before starting, that way you keep from having to buy multiple engine set ups every time a modification that wasn't considered is made. Lots of people on here and the interwebs that can help you out as well.
And of course take pictures and post em back on here lol.

Last edited:

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Here's the guys post today, that "designed" the motor grenade.
7c07e1b3af9f2eee48a72237440e7e92.jpg08692089e628a0913991c048cde4571e.jpg

Designed a turbo system, and the tune... Asking questions like that.

IMO

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Here's the guys post today, that "designed" the motor grenade.
7c07e1b3af9f2eee48a72237440e7e92.jpg08692089e628a0913991c048cde4571e.jpg

Designed a turbo system, and the tune... Asking questions like that.

IMO

I'm actually selling my supercharger and buying his kit. We'll see how good it is

OP
OP
Z

zakfarias

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 MAGNUM
Yeah keep us posted then. I haven't pulled the trigger on doing any modifications yet; was looking at buying a new ram. Long story short I ended up with a 5.0 f150.