Camping 2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Holub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
2024-02-22 17.58.59.jpg2022-04-10 18.53.53.jpg
20230629_175952.jpg
I'm in AZ. so we camp throughout the year. The hotter months we go up North in the mountains and the cooler months we stay down here. Yeah diesel is $4/gal and has been since Bidenomics too effect. In fact, we are leaving on Wed for Country Thunder where that second pic is from.

TorqueWagon

Reaction score
Westmost point in the contiguous United States
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What plans do you have for camping this year. Just saw on the news that fuel (gas) is 2$ Canadian a litre so 200 cad to fill the pw it’s 1.49 a litre right now in Edmonton Alberta. One of the things that I want to do to my pw is an auxiliary fuel tank so that I can fill up whenever it’s cheaper. Guys that are pulling the Giant rolling houses is it going to limit your time or do you bite the bullet and pay. The fuel tax might be good for the environment but it is going hurt the tourism industry. We used to go to bc every year and spend a minimum of 1000-2000 cad not now
Living in the Pacific Northwest in the most northwest corner of the state of Oregon. Diesel is about $4.50 a gallon ($1.19/litre). I am also retired and refused to get all upset about the price of fuel that's one of those things you can't do without and it's one of those things you can't do anything about the price so I choose not to worry about it. Don't get me wrong I use a fleet card when I can which is when I'm near the interstate or the larger highways. When I'm not using the fleet card we use a fuel discount card from our grocery store - Fred Meyer. We can get typically a discounted of $0.50 to $0.85 a gallon off depending on how much we spend in groceries. I buy my DEF in bulk at the fuel station which typically costs about 60% of what the box cost is. So anyway we put on quite a few miles. Our last significant recent trip was 2000 miles down to California at Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara. Or that we did a 3000 mile loop of Idaho Utah Arizona California. Take care of your toys- hit the road - have fun!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
View attachment 540817View attachment 540819
I'm in AZ. so we camp throughout the year. The hotter months we go up North in the mountains and the cooler months we stay down here. Yeah diesel is $4/gal and has been since Bidenomics too effect. In fact, we are leaving on Wed for Country Thunder where that second pic is from.
Holy smokes! I wouldn't even remotely call that "camping".

Attachments

• 1712594664722.jpeg
    1712594664722.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 4

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
we have already been twice. last trip was 4 nights at lake murray in oklahoma. we are making plans for a big trip to moab and a few of the nat. parks in that area. also may meet the kids at gulf shores al. in july for a few days. some friends trying to talk us into towing up to glacier but not sure I want to go that far with 5th wheel. as for fuel, last week I paid 3.49/gal here for dsl.

mildrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As I write this I am parked on the beach in Rockport Tx. Down from Ks. Got family here. In late May heading to Minnesota for a grandson's graduation. Probably also weekends at a local lake during the summer. Got Rid of a timeshare just before the pandemic to spend the dollars on gas instead. Yes, worked hard to be able to travel now.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hoping we're headed to Panama City Beach in June with a new travel trailer. Waiting to decide if we pull the trigger on the one we have finally picked out after months of disagreeing and driving to every dealer in the southeast to look. Ended up finding the one we agree on right back at home (as usual).

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have a few trips planned. The first one is in two weeks, a local CG our usual one, Lancaster PA at the end of May, Cape May NJ at the end of July, and again at our usual CG in Aug. We'll have a few more planned in the coming months.

I had to cancel All Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle due to a work schedule change because we're slow (thanks Brandon) and not having enough vacation time with all the other trips planned. Maybe next year.
@jawzs2 We're you able to get the campsite I gave up?

Last edited:

netshadoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi/no eTorque
As a Canadian, we head south to the US.

We always found, even with the exchange rate, fuel averages about $20-40 cheaper per tank than in Canada. My average fill up in Canada is between $110 and $130 or more (26 gal/95 litre tank). I usually fill at 1/4 when towing. My most expensive fill last summer in the US (northern NY), after exchange, was $88.

Groceries are mostly cheaper ($1.49 for a dozen eggs…not in Canada).

Alcohol is insanely cheap in the states compared to Ontario (more than half the cost).

State parks and most non franchise campgrounds (KOA I’m looking at you) are also cheaper, even factoring in the exchange.

We figure we just ultimately have to pay to play.

Doing the Blue Ridge and the Outer Banks this summer.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
As a Canadian, we head south to the US.

We always found, even with the exchange rate, fuel averages about $20-40 cheaper per tank than in Canada. My average fill up in Canada is between $110 and $130 or more (26 gal/95 litre tank). I usually fill at 1/4 when towing. My most expensive fill last summer in the US (northern NY), after exchange, was $88.

Groceries are mostly cheaper ($1.49 for a dozen eggs…not in Canada).

Alcohol is insanely cheap in the states compared to Ontario (more than half the cost).

State parks and most non franchise campgrounds (KOA I’m looking at you) are also cheaper, even factoring in the exchange.

We figure we just ultimately have to pay to play.

Doing the Blue Ridge and the Outer Banks this summer.
Sounds like you are somewhere just north of me. We experience the exact opposite of what you describe. Summers in Newfoundland. But , we still go.

OP
OP
4xdad

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
It’s my own personal preference but there is far too many 5th wheels for me to call that camping the only neighbours I want are squirrels birds and bears. I f tried to take a 5th wheel where we camp you would probably destroy it

Scof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lost my camping buddy when my wife of 53 years died of lung cancer in 2019. That took more than half the fun out of life, but I've downsized to a smaller trailer and moved into an in-law apartment in the same city where our kids live. For as long as I can, I'm trying to focus on the other (almost) half of life that is still left to me. Reading this thread has stirred it all up again - painful, but reaffirms the promise I made to her that I will go on living. And yes, CANCER SUCKS!

So, that means I am going to use the camper to keep doing what we both loved doing together, traveling and seeing new places and revisiting old favorites. I'm planning two major trips this year: first, to the east coast visiting friends in WV, doing tourist stuff in VA and RI, and attending a family wedding near Boston in MA; later on, to UT to visit UT, the Moab and Zion areas, camp at Dead Horse Point and at Sand Hollow State Parks, take some off-road excursions with outfitters/guides in both areas, and maybe meet some of my YouTube favorites. The rest of the season will be shorter outings around MO and KS.

Besides the smaller, lighter trailer, last week I let the salesman talk me into trading my 2021 RAM 1500 with the hemi for a 2024 with the V6. According to the specs, it is more than capable of handling the 5000# I'll be towing. I am already seeing about a 4 mpg saving just driving locally. Still, I'll pay what it takes at the pump in order to make these trips because life is too short to sit around and mope about being alone.

OP
OP
4xdad

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
My mom was a good one to talk to. She lost3 husbands (she is a tough old bird)her take on it is “what are you going to do sit around and cry about it or go and live your life “being a heathen I don’t often quote the bible but Jesus said “ in your life you will have tribulations “it’s true fate can be a cruel mistress

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
We will be doing more tent camping trips. We have a few backpacking trips planned.

Did I mention we dislike people. Camping sure hasn't gotten any less popular. I hate making reservations months out, so we decided to go back to the Hey, it's Thursday where we going for the weekend! Even if that means strapping a pack and putting miles on the boots!

We will still be taking our camper. Each year we think about getting a new one, we just can not justify the prices. Just like a new truck. I would love to buy a new RAM...but not at 60k for 3 years old.

I will just keep on keeping on with our old ones.

Screenshot_20240304-103626~2.pngScreenshot_20240304-101524~2.png

netshadoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi/no eTorque
Sounds like you are somewhere just north of me. We experience the exact opposite of what you describe. Summers in Newfoundland. But , we still go.
Just looking at fuel right now…average in my area right now in eastern Ontario is between $5.65-6.04 per gallon. Using gas buddy, I can see northern NY is in a range of $3.40-3.60 per gallon. Now, I fudge high for this example, so even $3.60 at a 30% exchange is $4.68 per gallon in Canuck bucks. A dollar cheaper per gallon than up here.

Most stations in northern NY is $3.40…so $4.42 per gallon for this Canuck. So, even our cheapest gas up here is $1.23/gallon more expensive.

Now, math for you, my American friend, would be different as your exchange rate goes the other way!

Newfoundland is a highly under-rated destination! One of our best trips!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981