Gasoline - Top Tier for 2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
good luck to you man, medical pot is simply necessary and the opposition to it should be criminal. If you see the series on documentary weed it saves kids lives that have seizures, and the gov't goes after the parents. Hopefully you dont think anything said applies to you or people with series illness. So can you beat this thing? Any positive results you can share? We are pulling for you.
Thanks for the positive words burla...and everyone else. According to all the doctors I have seen, I won't beat this. It has spread to my liver, and where the tumor is on my pancreas...it can't be operated on. I did get some good news on my last scan. The tumors on my liver had shrunk some, the one on my pancreas is basically the same. On October 11 2023, my Dr gave me 6 months to live. I am a stubborn, hard headed ass that has no quit in me. The doctors say I can't beat it and I tell them that cancer has never seen this guy, so you have no stats of pancreatic cancer in me and I will win!! I am taking some natural medicine along with some other things that have been researched to work on tumors. One way or another I will beat this!! I don't care what any Dr says...I'm gonna win!!

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yea verily, imma up at the Deere Dealer in the sticks stocking up on spring maintenance parts, when I spy a Mobil station at the far edge of town, brand new, in the middle of fuching nowhere, with sparse populace.

wtaf? The only Mobil station around for miles and miles. I don't get it.

No Top Tier labels, but i gassed there anyway.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea verily, imma up at the Deere Dealer in the sticks stocking up on spring maintenance parts, when I spy a Mobil station at the far edge of town, brand new, in the middle of fuching nowhere, with sparse populace.

wtaf? The only Mobil station around for miles and miles. I don't get it.

No Top Tier labels, but i gassed there anyway.

All I wanna know is... did you purchase any Hostess cellophane triglyceride products while you were there? :rofl:

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
All I wanna know is... did you purchase any Hostess cellophane triglyceride products while you were there? :rofl:

Nay - I don't go inside anymore. Got too many things to do, places to go.

After the crap I accumulated over the years, my life consists of maintaining and fixing it perpetually.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Received another Shell Fuel Rewards Ad today, they are continuing to advertise their "VPower" 91 octane gas having "6 times the minimum required detergent additives".

As we've discussed, there has never been any revelation how many times the minimum required detergent additive is necessary to receive Top Tier detergency certification, so we have no idea what Shell's claim means relative to this.

It's good fuel, no doubt, but we don't know anything more. Maybe don't need to. Both Shell and Costco are Top Tier Certified gasolines. Is Shell better long term? Nobody's talking, nobody's saying. Per usual.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I run a lot of miles annually in multiple rams. I'm coast to coast 5 to 6 times a year, pull a 7x 14 trailer and also ride my harley extensively as well. I probably average 30k to 35k a year in a truck and another 20 on the bike.

Everything I own except my wife's jeep, and my brand new warlock is modified.

I generally try to stop at shell as they usually have 93 or 91 depending on East or West coast. However I'm not picky, at 3 in the morning, in Butte Montana if I need gas, I'll pump 85 octane if it's the only thing available and just adjust my expectations.

My experience my trucks runs better on shell unless I can find real gas. 2nd choice is Cenex as they typically have real gas, third is BP. In the deep south, Loves has decent gas but it's average at best. Valero is hit or miss. And I avoid marathon, speedway and Murphys at any costs. Chevron, ExxonMobil and Phillips are random and seldom warrant a stop.

I think @Burla Is on target. Redline S-1 about every 3 to 4 times per year then change you oil soon after. The crap inside those cylinders has got to go somewhere.

My opinion

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep I remember those.
We know PEA works.
PIBA is unknown.

We also know Top Tier Gas of some type works per AAA experiment. Not sure if Top Tier specifies what additives are required, but we do know they specify how much, and it's more than API minimum required for sale.

So imma go with what is known to work, thanks to you guys. Four bottles on the way.
Do you run corn gas or is regular gas available by you ? I ask as I’m told ethanol produces more carbon buildup.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shell V-Power 93 is and was the factory fill fuel for both Ferrari & the Dodge Viper.
Well no Ferrari here but I stay with Shell 89 for my lowly Bighorn or Sunoco. Ne thing else is low end stuff. But SHELL is pricey here $.20 or more than anyone else.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the winter usually $40 lasts me a month in my truck. I don't drive it much so 91 octane with no ethanol. In the summer and we when we are going to the camper every weekend it's 89 with ethanol. Luckily there's a shell in the closest town to me so that's I go most of the time.

In my work car that gets 25-30k miles a year put on it. Sad to say gets kwik trip non top tier 87 octane. It's just convenient to stop there at 4-5am on the way to the jobsite. Ya know drain one tank and fill the other. I have noticed in the past year that every once in awhile I'll get a few misfires no check engine light though. Run a can of redline through it and it's good again for awhile. The car has 265k on it now which could be a lot of things but the signs point me to the gas.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Closest options for me in order of distance are: Shell, Cenex (that just took over a BreakTime), Phillips 66. Have typically bought Shell but have been trying Cenex lately. Always buy 99 for my 2021 Classic. Cost typically the same between stations. On a non-gas note, an additional reason I like the Shell station is that it has a free air compressor for tires.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
In the winter usually $40 lasts me a month in my truck. I don't drive it much so 91 octane with no ethanol. In the summer and we when we are going to the camper every weekend it's 89 with ethanol. Luckily there's a shell in the closest town to me so that's I go most of the time.

In my work car that gets 25-30k miles a year put on it. Sad to say gets kwik trip non top tier 87 octane. It's just convenient to stop there at 4-5am on the way to the jobsite. Ya know drain one tank and fill the other. I have noticed in the past year that every once in awhile I'll get a few misfires no check engine light though. Run a can of redline through it and it's good again for awhile. The car has 265k on it now which could be a lot of things but the signs point me to the gas.

It's really sad Kwik Trip bailed out on Top Tier, then launched a faux marketing campaign "guaranteeing" gasoline quality. WTF is that supposed to mean? That was the WHOLE POINT of Top Tier Certification!!!

I looked up their management to see if they'd been taken over, but I didn't see any changes that stood out. Maybe the major chemical companies really did restrict their PEA additive manufacturing, legally or otherwise.

Then the Erickson Family sold Holiday Stations to Circle K of Canada without Top Tier - so both Kwik Trip and Holiday Top Tier Certification went away all at once. That's damn near all the gas stations up here! Talk about monopolies.

At least COSTCO hasn't left. Yet.

Pretty soon we'll be getting Tim Horton's and annexed by Canada.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just my opinion about kwik trip but they themselves are trying to cut costs at the pump by not being top tier. Just a quick google search but the average salary of a truck driver for them in WI is $91k and there base worker pay is at least $16 an hour from what I've seen on their flyers they have all over when you go inside. Both of those have went up a lot since covid.

Being in construction a lot of guys won't go to kwik trip any more. Not because of the gas not being top tier, but because their hot food items have also went up a lot in price.

Which brings me back to my opinion. Most of the guys I work with put on a lot of miles also and very few of them even know what top tier gas even is. They think all gas is the same. So being as big as kwik trip is in my area why should they go through the added expenses being top tier when most of the people buying their gas don't know or don't care.

Kwik trip is always the first gas station to raise their price and the last one to lower it, and that's a fact Jack.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, the average consumer is stupid and could give a $hit less about paying 3 cents more per gallon for Top Tier detergent additive level in gasoline, so there ya go.

I guess the automakers must have given up lobbying API to force it onto gasoline branders, because it was the automakers that started this program to reduce their warranty claims.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
This is how to get your truck to run so quiet you will wonder it it is on, it is so quiet.

Miracle Mystery Oil in the gas (Lucas also works)

PUP 0w40 with Lubeguard

FANTASTIC!