Can’t keep a set of tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Biggs36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
The hD Rams always eat the outer front tires, you can align to thurens specs and it will help but not eliminate it. Is your truck leveled? Might need a new adjustable track bar. If you drive with a heavy foot all the time I could see burning through tires
Truck is leveled and I don’t really have a heavy foot.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
The hD Rams always eat the outer front tires, you can align to thurens specs and it will help but not eliminate it. Is your truck leveled? Might need a new adjustable track bar. If you drive with a heavy foot all the time I could see burning through tires

This is the way to go need an adjustable track bar for sure and align to the Thuren specs. Had good luck with this set up tires lasting 50k plus miles (ridge grapplers).

vaughan77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got a 15 2500 that I can’t keep tires on to save my life. Truck just broke 38k and I’m about to put my fourth set on. I rotate every oil change and get the alignment checked about every four months. Anyone else having this problem?
I had a 15 2500 big horn and only got 34k out of OEM transforce tires but.... I quickly found less than 65psi cold on the front would promote early outer tread wear. 65psi up front is the magic number. When I bought new rubber, my fronts and rears were = wear. I ran 70 in the rear. It didnt ride plush but tires were not an issue.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Leveling is not a good move IMHO. The engineers never design trucks for that, and it messes with suspension and it's built the way it is for very good reasons. I believe that is likely your issue.
Other things I'd try:
1. new alignment shop
2. different brand of tires
But seriously, consider removing the level kit. Just not worth the troubles. If you must have leveling, try a different kit brand maybe?

Fishjunkie509

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What ply of tire are you running. My buddy had that problem because he was running to light of a tire. Make sure they’re 10 ply. Might help. Hope you figure it out.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's just leveled I can't imagine that being a significant contributor - as long as the front caster and toe is in spec and the front-rear track is inline there should not be any meaningful wear arising from that. If the front track is out of line with the rear, making the truck dog its rear out while driving straight the alignment shop should identify that right at the beginning.

If the front level put the caster out of spec I could imagine it leading to some plowing around corners which would have a negative effect on tire wear. So you could have a perfect storm like
  • plowing corners (from bad caster)
  • hopping tires (from incorrect tire pressure, worn shocks, poor/incorrect shocks, a heavy foot.. etc)
  • lots of city streets (90 degree corners where most of us with trucks are going to scratch that inside rear tire accelerating through the turn to meet prevailing traffic speeds)
  • soft all-terrain tread compound
that can start contributing to a short lifetime. It might be that eliminating just one factor could make all the difference. 10 or 15k is still just an amazingly short life but that's not news to you since you're asking about it - I'd sincerely be curious about getting to the bottom of this.

Yukonbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Can u give more details? Scuffing inside or out, front or rear, cupping inside or out pics? There can be alot of causes for tire wear, shocks, bushings on control arms/leaf springs I Beleive trac bar. Do you keep buying the same brand? What ply rating are you getting?
I have a 16 2500 and still have original tires, but getting close at 60k. My truck had recall on sway bar. I had alignment checked at about 35k and factory setting were off. There was a change to specs

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I have a 16 2500 and still have original tires, but getting close at 60k. My truck had recall on sway bar. I had alignment checked at about 35k and factory setting were off. There was a change to specs
Yeah they do change I'm not sure why but I know it does depend on the alignment machine sometimes too. Oddly not every machine is the same specs. Dodge machine may be different from say a hunter or a snapon rig. I've seen it when we changed machines at the shop. When I had my lifted Chevy I ignored the specs and set my tires flat in the ground and toe to .02 in and I never wore tires. I got 96k out of a set of 325 60r 18 duratracs. And they were wore flat and even made me pretty happy and suprised.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
have no idea how you could go thru that many tires in such a short period of time, no matter what you pull, drag, etc. But for sure from your comments and pics, you need an alignment BADLY !!!!!!! At 38K miles you should still be on original set of tires, even the crappy Goodyear SR-A would last that long, they'd be crappy but still useable. Go to a real LT rated tire, keep the air pressure up. Yo nee to tes more, to work with and to help.

OP
OP
B

Biggs36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
What ply of tire are you running. My buddy had that problem because he was running to light of a tire. Make sure they’re 10 ply. Might help. Hope you figure it out.
Running 12 ply F range for the last two sets and the current set waiting to go on

OP
OP
B

Biggs36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
have no idea how you could go thru that many tires in such a short period of time, no matter what you pull, drag, etc. But for sure from your comments and pics, you need an alignment BADLY !!!!!!! At 38K miles you should still be on original set of tires, even the crappy Goodyear SR-A would last that long, they'd be crappy but still useable. Go to a real LT rated tire, keep the air pressure up. Yo nee to tes more, to work with and to help.
It’s only the passenger side, drivers is wearing even just fast as hell. Got to find a new Alignment shop and going to look into a adjustable track bar.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have the Nittos and one truck has 50k on it, still same set of 35's and I used the Nitto Terra Grapplers on a leveled 1500, they got maybe 45k...so tires are good, something else is off.