Can a 2017 ECM/PCM be tested?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crewguy498

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
20!7 Ram 1500 Hemi with 8 speed. Having an electrical issue. Computer is shutting down #3 cylinder OR I have an intermittent issue between computer and coil Pack and/ or fuel injector. Initial test with noid light was inconclusive. That test will be ran again. Theory of operation suggests variables of (1) a bad computer (2) wiring from ECM to coil/ injector intermittent open/ short to ground situation.

The computer is a big variable.
I have copies of the wiring and can rule out a shorted/open connection.

The wiring was tested with a noid light and shown as not lighting up checking coil/ injector wiring. I’m going back next week to OHM out the wiring from coil/ injector to computer.

we have both a scanner and HP Tuner to diagnose a problem. We are looking into sending the computer to HP Tuners to unlock. But the question is : will the ECM be tested for a problem before unlocking?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Why can't you run a scan? PCM doesn't need to be unlocked to scan, only to adjust.

Misfire on cylinder #3 is a classic sign of roller lifter and cam failure, btw.

OP
OP
C

Crewguy498

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Why can't you run a scan? PCM doesn't need to be unlocked to scan, only to adjust.

Misfire on cylinder #3 is a classic sign of roller lifter and cam failure, btw.
Thanks for the reply…
We did run a scan. We also pulled the driver’s valve cover. But we did not measure valve lift at that time. I’m kind of taking over this repair from my son. The codes pointed to the coil. We swapped coils but problem stayed at #3. Noid lights confirmed #3 not getting signal to fire either the coil or injector. I’m prepared to pull the heads for a non-DOD cam swap if needed. Either way, the PCM will be needing unlocking.

OP
OP
C

Crewguy498

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
UPDATE:
Replaced OEM PCM with a used PCM from EBay. Engine is running on all 8 again. The initial wiring problem must have damaged the PCM.