Can anyone explain to me the difference ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Between the “ E- locker “ that I have versus a locking rear differential? I have that paired with 3.92 gears if that matters. My sales guy did not know and I’m curious.

firecadet613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
E-locker has a button on the cash to lock the rear differential, but only works under 20mph. I have this on my F150 and never used it.

The anti spin differential is automatic and works at any speed. I've got this on my RAM.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well too late for me then lol as I have the E-locker..

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's no speed limit to either that I'm aware of. My Jeep has an ARB airlocker. Does the same thing as the E-Locker, just a different mechanism to engage it. I've made passes to 125 mph with my ARB.

wink

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
E-locker has a button on the cash to lock the rear differential, but only works under 20mph. I have this on my F150 and never used it.

The anti spin differential is automatic and works at any speed. I've got this on my RAM.

Anti-spin is about the closest thing to a true positrack as there is. IMO it’s better than the E trac

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

firecadet613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anti-spin is about the closest thing to a true positrack as there is. IMO it’s better than the E trac

Ford only offers the E-locker so I'm happy Ram does both!

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
There's no speed limit to either that I'm aware of. My Jeep has an ARB airlocker. Does the same thing as the E-Locker, just a different mechanism to engage it. I've made passes to 125 mph with my ARB.

wink

That uses air pressure to keep engaged. If it lost air it would unlock. I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing just slightly different technique. I like the way the arb works and I like true positrack setups.
I’m considering a locker of some sort for the front did on my truck. Just ain’t decided cause the wallet(wife) dictates.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Well too late for me then lol as I have the E-locker..

Doesn’t the E locker have a button saying like auto 4x4??

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Right next to it where I engage my gears is 4x4

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That uses air pressure to keep engaged. If it lost air it would unlock. I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing just slightly different technique. I like the way the arb works and I like true positrack setups.
I’m considering a locker of some sort for the front did on my truck. Just ain’t decided cause the wallet(wife) dictates.

Got interrupted posting...

Well they do the exact same thing, lock the axles together like a spool does. I guess the solenoid on an E-locker could fail. But not that likely on either.
The ARB has a proven record in off-road applications, but they've found success on the drag strip as well. I had a WaveTrack limited slip before this. More similar to the Mopar unit, but much stronger. It didn't have the bind issue the Detroit/Eaton lockers had in turns. It lasted a couple of years. But I blew it apart and it turned into a spool. So I obviously had too much power for it. The guy that built my 9" recommended the ARB. So far, so good, but I've not had a chance to make more than a half dozen passes with it. But last time I had my Toyo street tires on the Jeep, and I was surprised it hooked solid. I do have the Mopar unit for my Ram, but haven't gotten to installing it yet.

wink

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Got interrupted posting...

Well they do the exact same thing, lock the axles together like a spool does. I guess the solenoid on an E-locker could fail. But not that likely on either.
The ARB has a proven record in off-road applications, but they've found success on the drag strip as well. I had a WaveTrack limited slip before this. More similar to the Mopar unit, but much stronger. It didn't have the bind issue the Detroit/Eaton lockers had in turns. It lasted a couple of years. But I blew it apart and it turned into a spool. So I obviously had too much power for it. The guy that built my 9" recommended the ARB. So far, so good, but I've not had a chance to make more than a half dozen passes with it. But last time I had my Toyo street tires on the Jeep, and I was surprised it hooked solid. I do have the Mopar unit for my Ram, but haven't gotten to installing it yet.

wink

Now you mention it I had issues with my Eaton locker in a f150 mud bog truck. I sold it be for going to arb lockers. I’m not trying to contradict what your saying by no means just adding to it.
I would definitely be putting arb’s with an onboard compressor to my truck right now if I could afford to. It won’t be long though. Along with 4.56’s and 38’s
Time out for the wife’s honey do’s...

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wanted a beefier Wavetrac, but they don't make one. They do have a lifetime warranty, but I'd just break it again. And it's a PITA to replace and setup on the Jeep. The SRT8 has a bastardized Dana in the rear. Had to create a custom shim kit as the OEM kit couldn't cut it. Otherwise, for lower power, it's the best LSD on the market IMO. No bind, or lag, and it auto matches any condition with it's patented wave plate. Most use springs, so you get one pre-load rate. Not as optimal. I hope the ARB holds up to the power...

I wanted a Wavetrac for the Ram, but they don't make one, or didn't when I checked. I knew I didn't want the Detroit, so I ordered the Mopar. Might never really need it with 4WD, but if I do, I want it there. ;) The Jeep is AWD so a LSD was more useful.

Sounds like you'll have quite the off-roader setup. Good luck with it!

wink

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pretty sure the e-locker unlocks over 20mph. Power wagon guys could chime in as they have them front and rear. The ARB ones are just locked or unlocked regardless of speed. At speed the locker is generally better unlocked as it effects the ability to steer especially on a front diff. IMHO a limited slip is better for daily driving and high speed on slick surfaces (gravel, ice), but lockers are your best friend when stuck as they give you full power to both wheels right away vs needing some wheel spin to engage the other wheel. Problem with the factory e-locker is in mud you want wheel speed to clear the treads, but it'll cut out. ARB stays locked until you unlock it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
IMHO best set up is ltd slip in rear because you don't have to remember to turn it on and off and has better road manners and an air locker in front that you only engage when you need it. Best all around use ability to me.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well gents I only have what came with my model truck so I’ll have to roll with that.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pretty sure the e-locker unlocks over 20mph. Power wagon guys could chime in as they have them front and rear. The ARB ones are just locked or unlocked regardless of speed. At speed the locker is generally better unlocked as it effects the ability to steer especially on a front diff. IMHO a limited slip is better for daily driving and high speed on slick surfaces (gravel, ice), but lockers are your best friend when stuck as they give you full power to both wheels right away vs needing some wheel spin to engage the other wheel. Problem with the factory e-locker is in mud you want wheel speed to clear the treads, but it'll cut out. ARB stays locked until you unlock it.

Interesting. I could see it on a front locker, though I'd never have one. I don't go mudding, just drag racing. So different needs. However I drove my Jeep at 75 for 1.5 hours with the rear locked to swap out my spooled Wavetrac. Only issue I've seen with a locked rear is turning a 90 degree corner, or in the snow. Sweeping highway curves and lane changes are not issues. But I agree, neither is needed just going down the road.

wink

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
About the LSD and Elock is it possible to order the e locker and the LSD? I have the 3.92 LSD currently.....when Pulling the (Camper 8000 Lbs) on soft grass with a mixture of sand (near the river at our camp) I had it wanting to break loose for a moment then grab just as it does in snow. Snow is not an issue not pulling any thing, but in the other scenario at the camp, it feels like it would get stuck very quickly and almost has a couple of times pulling out in rain. Will the locker prevent slip under a load or does? Any have any experience with it this scenario? I'm getting ready to order a 19 Laramie 1500. with the 3.92.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
About the LSD and Elock is it possible to order the e locker and the LSD? I have the 3.92 LSD currently.....when Pulling the (Camper 8000 Lbs) on soft grass with a mixture of sand (near the river at our camp) I had it wanting to break loose for a moment then grab just as it does in snow. Snow is not an issue not pulling any thing, but in the other scenario at the camp, it feels like it would get stuck very quickly and almost has a couple of times pulling out in rain. Will the locker prevent slip under a load or does? Any have any experience with it this scenario? I'm getting ready to order a 19 Laramie 1500. with the 3.92.

If your doing some low speed low traction work a locker sounds right up your alley. If your needing hi speed torque bias like sand dunes or snowy roads, the mechanical limited slip is probably best. I would of loved an elocker in my truck when I had a boat on the ramp. The limited slip did fine on most public ramps, but loading my 23 footer into the lake in the deep woods of MN got a little dicey if you were not careful. Sand and wood ramps can start to put you in some axle snapping scenarios fast.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd say if you have limited slip in the rear and want a little extra traction for low speed stuff an e-locker or ARB air in the front is better money spent as the rear will lock up after a bit of spin and as far as I know you can't have both in the rear, but apart from the power wagon pretty much all our trucks have 1WD in the front.