Can I add 4x4 auto to my Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
...No reason for a auto T case ... 4x4 IS FOR ONE THING ONLY, GETING U MOVINGr

Parking lots.

I drive a buddy to appointments, and I alternate between driving my truck and his.
In his truck I can use 4 auto and drive through lots that have a mix of slick spots and bare spots no problem.
In my truck I'm slowly limping through with one wheel drive, fighting the wheel trying to convince to the truck to turn, or flipping it on and off over and over.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You guys must have some crappy weather, that your truck with traction control can not make it through a parking lot in 2wd.

I do agree the only place you can not use a part time transfer is at slow speed making turns.

But I can not fathom having an issue going through a parking lot. Interesting. Guess I got lucky with my trucks

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Parking lots.

I drive a buddy to appointments, and I alternate between driving my truck and his.
In his truck I can use 4 auto and drive through lots that have a mix of slick spots and bare spots no problem.

I know some people don't like the 44-44, but mine has worked flawlessly every winter.

I'm no rock crawler, just use the truck for transportation and to haul stuff around, but it's never let me down.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Parking lots.

In my truck I'm slowly limping through with one wheel drive, fighting the wheel trying to convince to the truck to turn, or flipping it on and off over and over.

really now ???? How about manual lock in hubs back in the day ?? Guess the new generation is lazy ass hell...............

BTW

drive a 84 W350 4x4 that is ONLY two wheel drive in 4 wheel drive(u tell me what that is)in a extreme weather state.

Driving skill and TIRES are the key, NOT what T case U have.

ProAutoHubs (lazy as hell to turn knobs)

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Seems like this is a sensitive topic for some! ;)

I've read all the posts and have decided to stick with my current transmission. I added some more weight to the truck today and had the tire pressure upped to a firmer level and the truck feels like it's more planted. I also had the front end aligned this morning which was needed after installing the new JBA control arms. Love them by the way!

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems like this is a sensitive topic for some! ;)

I've read all the posts and have decided to stick with my current transmission. I added some more weight to the truck today and had the tire pressure upped to a firmer level and the truck feels like it's more planted. I also had the front end aligned this morning which was needed after installing the new JBA control arms. Love them by the way!

You caused a Transfer Case war LOL! Almost as bad as an oil war!!:)

Anyways, a real transfer case has gears, Dana 20 or 300;)

On a serious note, my take away is whichever one you got can work fine if understood by the operator.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
I'm sure that if I bought actual snow tires I would have fewer near misses when pulling out. As I said before, it doesn't happen often and is largely in part to my using the Pedal commander in Sport mode still. I'll dial it back to City mode or less once we have some more snow and/or icy conditions. Just hate the feel of the throttle response when I can't use my beloved Sport modes! LOL

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
really now ???? How about manual lock in hubs back in the day ?? Guess the new generation is lazy ass hell...............
No difference in driving or handling, feels like something is going to break on dry but great in the mud...when both engage.

Were I to do the same trips where I'm cycling it on and off in the 80's I'd lock the hubs and count on my studded bias ply tires to slip enough on the bare pavement as not to be concerned with wear or breaking anything, or ease it along in 2wd at about 2/3 speed unless I got stuck or embarrassed enough times. These days my all seasons and winter tires have enough grip to be a PITA on the bare spots in 4 high so I flip it on and off where I think it's useful, feeling annoyed if I miss judge and spin a bit in 2wd as impatient people seem eager honk or gesture at the slightest hesitation (even though I often seem observe them to be stuck or crashed shortly after).

Last edited:

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
drive a 84 W350 4x4 that is ONLY two wheel drive in 4 wheel drive(u tell me what that is)in a extreme weather state.
Does an '83 w350 with a flat bed and a chronic exhaust leak in Canada count, 'cause if so been there done that! Not often much pavement to be found where I drove it, let alone bare pavement. Anything over 50Mph and that thing was shaking, and that was before it developed the death wobble. Total junk compared to the '69 it replaced.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
You guys must have some crappy weather, that your truck with traction control can not make it through a parking lot in 2wd.

Lot's of freeze thaw cycles thanks to Chinook winds, often several per month.

Last month main roads plowed bare or graveled, but side streets not touched. Within a day or two it went from 0F to 40F then back down to 20F, so we went from about 8" of snow on a ground to 2". Depending on the grading, protection from wind, and the shadows you'd get a variety of traction conditions, even on the same street or in the same lot. Bare roads, deep ruts of ice & snow, glare ice, etc. Road crews try and get ahead of it with salt and gravel, but the water often just runs over the gravel and freezes over top of it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Where I live the winters are brutal with conditions that change in the blink of an eye.

A limited slip in the rear diff and an actual set of winter/snow tires would probably make a world of differance for you.It's not gonna be cheap,but i think it's what you should have for your conditions,and if you don't spin the hell outta the winter tires and store them properly in the summer,you should get several winters use out of them.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
A limited slip in the rear diff and an actual set of winter/snow tires would probably make a world of differance for you.It's not gonna be cheap,but i think it's what you should have for your conditions,and if you don't spin the hell outta the winter tires and store them properly in the summer,you should get several winters use out of them.

Why do folks think a locker/posi is good for snow ??? It perplexes me to this day

I have two rides:

84 W350 open F&R
80 Bronco locked by clutches F&R and a ***** to drive on the road when Icey out.

The 84 goes fine, BUT can not pull anybody out as its really a TWO drive when in 4x4.

The fix is $$$$ E locker or air locker !!!

Our Gen 5 has E locker !!!

Looking for a way to lock the front

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer a limited slip in winter road driving, not a locker.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
I prefer a limited slip in winter road driving, not a locker.

really now ?? U SURE u know the diff ????

Limited slips are ****. E locker is the only way to go next to a torson a close secound and air third. Clutches fail..........

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
OEM Mopar limited slips have gone 150k+ miles with hundreds of 1/4 mile passes in these trucks, friction plate material with anti-wear additives have come a long way.

That being said, now that a torsen is available for the zf 9-1/4 it’s a no brainer for the twisties. Just depends on the application, there are enough buttons to push in these modern trucks.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Why do folks think a locker/posi is good for snow ??? It perplexes me to this day

I have two rides:

84 W350 open F&R
80 Bronco locked by clutches F&R and a ***** to drive on the road when Icey out.

The 84 goes fine, BUT can not pull anybody out as its really a TWO drive when in 4x4.

The fix is $$$$ E locker or air locker !!!

Our Gen 5 has E locker !!!

Looking for a way to lock the front

If it's not broken when in 4x4 it is NOT 2 wd drive,
when you lock that mechanical case in 4wd each axle gets the same amount of torque and provides that torque to each wheel.
hence 4wd you may only spin two buts that is because the other two have more traction available to resist spinning.