Can I remove transmission fluid with my fluid pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simon Rodgers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 1500 and it's time for a transmission service. All the videos I watched show people slowly removing the pan and hoping they dont make too much of a mess. Is there any reason I cant put my fluid pump down the dip stick tube and suck most the fluid out before dropping the pan?

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yes, but for me it didn't work.

Well, It kinda did work, but didn't help.

I pumped out the fluid from the dipstick tube until it was slurping air. I confidently crawled under, removed the bolts and dropped a pan FULL of fluid onto my face.

Not sure how it's possible, since I pumped out about a gallon, but yea, it still had A LOT in the pan, even after I pumped till it was sucking air.

I decided to just chock it up to magic. Took a shower, and finished the job.

Then took another shower

It's done, and the trucks running great on Oreilly's brand ATF+4.

But, whoever decided not to put a drain plug on these should be hit in the face with a shovel.

Realistically, I think that the location of the dipstick tube causes the pump hose to stop at a shelf, that is at the highest point in the pan. Leaves a lot in the low areas.

Mine is a 65rfe, 2013. Your is probably a 545rfe, which is the same transmission.

Last edited: