Can I reset the dashboard service indicators myself? Ram 2500 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chovyfu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My battery got drained. It didn’t start the first crank but did on the second. However now every dashboard service indicator light is on and nothing works on the dash.

I have an appointment in a week with dealer but I’m wondering if there’s someway I can reset the dashboard myself.

Ram 2500 4x4 2022. 6.4 gasser

Also curious if driving it is a problem until I get it fixed

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chovyfu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any guides online? I’ve never used one. Also I read that you can unplug the battery but I haven’t tried this.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First fully charge the battery. Disconnect the battery for 30 mins and then reconnect it. The low voltage of the battery is causing all the lights.

OP
OP
C

chovyfu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How can I tell when the battery is fully charged? I drove it for about half an hour and it starts up fine. The meter on the dash is in the middle but when I start it it goes down to low briefly

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use a multimeter while the truck isn’t running. If you think it’s charged disconnect the terminals and wait then reconnect them.

OP
OP
C

chovyfu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First fully charge the battery. Disconnect the battery for 30 mins and then reconnect it. The low voltage of the battery is causing all the lights.

Do I just need to disconnect one terminal or both? If one which one?

OP
OP
C

chovyfu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it ok to drive it with all the error codes active?

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as the check engine light isn’t flashing you’re good.

OP
OP
C

chovyfu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not flashing but it’s on. All the other indicators are solid on. MPH or brake assist lane keep assist any digital enhancement and cameras are not working though.

Blinkers wipers and engine work though

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Flash check engine is the only don’t drive condition. It means miss fire, owners manual will confirm.

OP
OP
C

chovyfu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So one problem still remains. When I start my engine I get a warning that brakes need to be serviced. Anything I can do for this myself?

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Get yourself a battery charger. Everyone should have one in the garage.
A basic 2-10-50 automatic Schumacher is very handy. I have 3 chargers
and use this one the most. It will shut off when the battery is charged.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get yourself a battery charger. Everyone should have one in the garage.
A basic 2-10-50 automatic Schumacher is very handy. I have 3 chargers
and use this one the most. It will shut off when the battery is charged.
Got me a Sears 2, 10, 50 Start (with AGM setting) in garage, LOL, just in case. Use on Stock trailer battery, sometimes lawnmower, and sometimes I just cheat and use my MC tender on trailer or the mower, lol.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Time to start buying tools. Battery testers at Harbor freight start at $2.47. On the first page (i just typed in Battey Tester at Harbor freight) they get more expensive ( in the $70s) but are still something will will use in the future. Get something descent.
They also haave battery chargers - with and without maintainers and Scanners

Bob_M

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One, I do the positive.
NO NO NO NO
On a negative ground system, the negative battery terminal cable should always be disconnected first and reconnected last.
If your socket/wrench/pliers/whatever you're using to loosen the clamping nut at the positive terminal contacts any metal part of the chassis it will cause a short directly through the tool. Automotive batteries have a couple hundred amps and will melt a wrench.
Use a voltmeter and measure from the positive battery terminal to any metal in the area, that voltage - with all the amps - will be flowing through whatever tool your using.
Conversely, use the meter and measure from the negative terminal to any metal and you will get 0 volts, which includes 0 amps.
Disconnecting the negative battery terminal breaks the circuit back to the battery and there will no voltage or current flow from the positive terminal to the chassis. You can verify this with a voltmeter after disconnecting the negative battery cable.
Now, if you're working on a rare, very rare, positive ground system the above will be reversed. But with 99.9999% of the vehicles on the road being negative ground the above is true.
I learned this in High School Auto Shop in the '70s. Never forgot it.
Bob