Canadian Radio Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rsalway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the Canadian version of the 8.4n the same as the US version? I may be able to get one to upgrade my radio now, but wanted to make sure it would work.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
No cell module and not sure if xm available.

jon C lawrence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
i just did this same upgrade and every thing works on mine so i would think you will be fine

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Unless something has changed this year, the US & Canadian radios are different

The made for USA radio has the capability of using the advanced part of Uconnect, such as messaging, it has different names, like Uconnect Access, Sirius Guardian, etc.
This is a subscription option.

Canadian radios did not have the ability to have this more advanced Uconnect because Chrysler/FCA phone modem within the radio needs to connect to a satellite & no provider is available up in Canada. For a while a company named Rogers Telcomm was going to provide coverage, but they could not get permission from the Canadian Gov't.

The good thing is, you can do most of the needed advanced options by unpairing your cell phone & then just use your phone to message

OP
OP
Rsalway

Rsalway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
False. Both are on Canadian radios

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
On uconnects own site, states uconnect paid services unavailable on canada version and cannot be added later. My 13 Ram is a Hawaii ordered truck, uconnect and xm unavailable there, so is deleated from my oem radio. Uconnect voice text, etc, works, but nothing subscription related. I went with a 15 8.4 nav radio and had to bypass the cell module to get rid of the error. Some things changed with newer radios, so no idea on new panasonic made ones. The uconnect paid feature I would never use, so wouldn't matter to me. I prefer not to get ota updates, wait to see results, then install by USB, too many radios bricked from updates.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
MpGrimm would be the one to ask for exact answer. He has been tracking these radios and working out model # that are compatible for years.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
That's Uconnect services. SiriusXM is not Uconnect service, it's an app available on there. My Canadian 19 ram classic has SiriusXM, and cellular connection. uconnect paid services I believe would be like the remote control from smart phone features. I had a free trip of them, but I wouldn't pay for them. My radio is a Panasonic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited: