Cannot get Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You were correct when you said that " We have lived in a historic anomaly, a tiny blip in history where economic and social power were relatively widely dispersed and the middle class was the majority, but because it's a few generations old people think it's the inevitable norm. It isn't."

You lost it after that.

The middle class has been getting smaller since the 1970s and will continue to do so with things like AI which will reduce the number of corp workers such as HR, Acctg, Legal. Does that make you HAPPY?

You're acting like you're correcting me while saying the same thing, other than you want to put it at the 70s instead of 80s. Why would I be happy the thing I'm saying is bad for society is accelerating?

Agrarian empire collapse and post-industrial society implosions have little in common, but that's beyond both the scope of the topic and impossible to discuss within the rules of the forum. As such, I'll leave you to it.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
You could have other issues:

WDH?

Tire Pressure

Hitch Weight

Over GVWR

Wind

Driving too fast
No, it was the shock. You have to remember the was no shock at all on the passenger side. SO every time that wheel hit a bump it would cause the drive wheel to lose traction kicking in the anti lock and making the whole suspension act weird. Now add the trailer and the weight it was even worse. I just got back from my trip and my truck and was just like normal with the new shock.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
UAW Auto workers are already the Highest Paid, Unskilled Labor in the country. My best friend was a retired Ford Skilled Trades mechanic, and he was very proud of that fact. He passed away of a Heart Attack in early August. I'm glad he's not seeing all this.
The retirees got screwed over in the last contract, and the one before that. But it wasn't the companies that did it, it was the union brothers that gave them up.
Thank you. I retired from government. It took an act of God to get an employee fired. Child abuse or grand theft and that was about it. I replaced my stock shocks and coils when I got my 2200# popup mounted. The suspension was overwhelmed.

dapadest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Unions?! They SUCK! 100 years ago they may have been needed, but over the last 50+ years all they do is keep the 4 schiffbags out of 10 working when they should be pounding their hushpuppies on the street looking for a job (unemployment and other handouts) that suits them.
It's been my experience, working with 'union people' for better then 45+ years , that Six people in 10 are responsible, ethical, hard working individuals, and work their azzes off while the other 4 do squat. I've worked with a lot of unions to have had the (bad) experience. Worst part is, you can't reward the six GOOD workers in any way, shape, or form without having to reward all ten.........
And leave it to a schiffbag to walk the line instead of doing his job, like closing the border......

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So on Wed I was getting my truck ready for a camping trip and I notice a puddle of oil next to my rear tire. Looked under the truck and the shock is coated with oil and oil dripping from lower shock mount. Went to Autozone but they have none in stock and none in the warehouse. Called my RAM dealer ( truck is a 2022 Ram 2500 with 11K miles) and they said bring it in the next day and we will take care of it. So Thur morning I was there at 8am and dropped it off. Got a call at 930, yep its the shock and we are trying to located one. Call at 4PM no luck on shock, computer says due to strike no parts from my distro and none in the local warehouses. They did a wider search at dealers and either no one has one or they wont let it go. So now I either let the truck site there for who knows how long or option 2 purchase aftermarket and pay them to install them. So I went to Advance Auto and they has RS5000 in the warehouse and would have them @ 730AM friday morning. SO I just got done dropping the shocks off at the dealer so I can get my truck back.

I dont know if there are any UAW workers on here but I think all these guys striking should be fired and replaced with people who want to work. Striking manufacturing is one thing, striking parts depo only affect the people who already bought the vehicle. You really think the big three care about cars already on the road. What if I needed my truck for work, no I would be out of a job as well. This crap is just BS.
Not sure the shot at UAW is necessary. They are due for some attention. We as customers sometimes forget about these folks. So, go up aftermarket, they are better anyway. Sometimes these can be hard to get because of our now standard of making and distribution of parts. You or I are not that special ya know!!!!

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UAW Auto workers are already the Highest Paid, Unskilled Labor in the country. My best friend was a retired Ford Skilled Trades mechanic, and he was very proud of that fact. He passed away of a Heart Attack in early August. I'm glad he's not seeing all this.
The retirees got screwed over in the last contract, and the one before that. But it wasn't the companies that did it, it was the union brothers that gave them up.
Highest paid, where did you get that from? They are NOT, and many are actually considered “skilled”. Also spentb44 years in government and got several people fired because of poor performance, no work ethic, etc. You sure can get them removed you just have to do proper, correct background work. Lazy people would not do the work to remove someone.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plenty of Bilsteins to be had on Amazon...Would deinately improve your ride.
Yes!!! Gonna replace shocks, use Bilsteins. Have them on three RAMs: 2016 R/T reg cab, 2017 Sport crew, 2022 Lone Star crew. Also a set on a 2002 Dakota club 4.7, a 2016 Frontier SV crew, and a 2022 Frontier SV crew. Best one can buy, gotta h7ntbfirnthem but worth it.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
The American economy is chronically under staffed. Auto parts, tire stores, restaurants. It makes us more like a Thirld World country. We have supply chain issues in a world economy.

Our ace in the hole, is immigration, but many people are strongly opposed to it.

Native Texan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The American economy is chronically under staffed. Auto parts, tire stores, restaurants. It makes us more like a Thirld World country. We have supply chain issues in a world economy.

Our ace in the hole, is immigration, but many people are strongly opposed to it.
In my opinion, the kind of reform we need would require ALL immigrants to provide for 100 of their support by already having jobs lined up and sponsors that agree to make up any difference they need in help. No welfare, housing, food stamps, etc. No government support. At the same time, eliminate all government support for all current legal and illegal aliens. Eliminate anchor babies. We need to become selective in our immigration and do our best to bring in folks that will compete for good jobs and make our citizens achieve a higher standard to compete for jobs.

Regarding the income for upper management, if you want what they got, then do what they did. Get a higher education, become an excellent executive and learn to network among the best executives in the world. It takes massive talent that I didn't develop. Even with a BBA, I have made less than auto workers my entire career.

Also, to the auto workers, you need ALL the workers making the same wages. Why aren't all the other companies getting demands for the wages you want the US companies to pay? Those workers are laughing all the way to the bank as you are demanding wages that will make your cars less and less competitive and put some of you out of work. At the same time, everything but the labor is going to support foreign governments overseas. Total bad deal for Americans.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Worker wages are a pretty small part of the cost of food at McDonalds.
Yet, wages are the largest controllable expense. This is why McD's has extensive process controls in place for scheduling the help based on projected business needs. At smaller volume stores, you still need XX number of people to make them run, at a minimum. Those stores cannot fully absorb wage increases without price increases. $15 Big Mac? No. But substantial increase in prices? Very well possible.

Walstib52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
So on Wed I was getting my truck ready for a camping trip and I notice a puddle of oil next to my rear tire. Looked under the truck and the shock is coated with oil and oil dripping from lower shock mount. Went to Autozone but they have none in stock and none in the warehouse. Called my RAM dealer ( truck is a 2022 Ram 2500 with 11K miles) and they said bring it in the next day and we will take care of it. So Thur morning I was there at 8am and dropped it off. Got a call at 930, yep its the shock and we are trying to located one. Call at 4PM no luck on shock, computer says due to strike no parts from my distro and none in the local warehouses. They did a wider search at dealers and either no one has one or they wont let it go. So now I either let the truck site there for who knows how long or option 2 purchase aftermarket and pay them to install them. So I went to Advance Auto and they has RS5000 in the warehouse and would have them @ 730AM friday morning. SO I just got done dropping the shocks off at the dealer so I can get my truck back.

I dont know if there are any UAW workers on here but I think all these guys striking should be fired and replaced with people who want to work. Striking manufacturing is one thing, striking parts depo only affect the people who already bought the vehicle. You really think the big three care about cars already on the road. What if I needed my truck for work, no I would be out of a job as well. This crap is just BS.
Hey Joe, had the same problem with my 21 RAM 2500 Cummins bought on Memorial Day of 21. After one month, the left rear shock on the new truck started leaving small puddles on my driveway. Took it to dealer for warranty replacement. None available. It eventually took about 6 months for the replacement to show up. Not willing to drive it or tow with it with a bad shock, I started shopping for an aftermarket replacement. There were some available, but cost was well over $100. After a craigslist search and web search, I found an outfit in Springfield Missouri that puts lift kits on new trucks for local dealers. The lifts required longer shocks. They had sets of brand new "take-off" shocks for my truck. I bought the set of 4 for about $75 plus about $25 shipping with bushings washers and nuts - one of he rubber bushings got lost in shipping - box developed a hole. I put one of the new shocks on the truck while waiting for the dealer replacement to show up. When they called me, I put the bad one back on and took it in for the replacement. I now have a complete set of replacements for the future. They used to throw them in the scrap metal bin!
Be forewarned, the upper shock mount nut is an 18mm, (interestingly no wrench/socket sets come with one of those) and there's no room for a socket. You can only get about 1/8 of a turn on the wrench. I bought an 18mm combination wrench with a switchable ratchet on the box end - life and knuckle saver - higly recommended. Not sure where you're located, but you might search for outfits that put on lift kits? Good luck1

Jay P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
You can remove the wheel well liner for easier access (it's not hard). makes a huge difference on the drivers side where the fuel tank is in the way.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Yet, wages are the largest controllable expense. This is why McD's has extensive process controls in place for scheduling the help based on projected business needs. At smaller volume stores, you still need XX number of people to make them run, at a minimum. Those stores cannot fully absorb wage increases without price increases. $15 Big Mac? No. But substantial increase in prices? Very well possible.

Did you note where I said the last time I ran the numbers you could double non-mgmt/executive labor costs and it would add roughly 29 cents to a value meal if profits were to remain the same? If that's substantial or not is up to you.

In the past 10 years, dividend payouts have more than doubled on Mcd's common stock. What did that do to prices and was there any media or social concern about it? Why? What if worker salaries had increased at the same rate as overall corporate profits, exec salaries, and share holder payouts?

That's the argument. "The pie" has gotten bigger. If everyone's percentage had remained relatively unchanged, everyone would make more money because of that. The rich would still be richer, but the middle class and lower class would have been richer as well. Instead, the top earners have increased their percentage take as well and the actual wage earners have seen no benefit to the larger pie they helped create.

And, it's irreversible. Money and power concentrated in fewer and fewer hands is never voluntarily reversed. Combine that with the increasingly demanding intellectual requirements for jobs as the Information Revolution displaces workers, and in a few generations we'll be living in Kurt Vonnegut's novel Player Piano. I'll be long dead, though, so not my problem. I latched on to the coat tails of investing in what rich people invest in, will retire a millionaire on a very blue collar salary, and don't worry about it any longer.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Thanks guys for all the suggestions, and tricks. I made my trip and my family is happy and safe. My truck is not my daily driver and being on the east cost I may only have 1 more camping trip. Once the RV is put away I have all winter to figure out what the best course of action is and best product to put on my truck for the function it performs.

Again thank you

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I latched on to the coat tails of investing
Great message. Most people in our education system never get financially educated. Rather than be intentional in their use of money, they are slaves to the cycle of over consumption and living in debt.

I don’t like the direction our economy has taken either, however one thing I have learned is that change is inevitable. A few people will be observant of what brings success in future economies, the majority likely will not.

rneal55555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

People are opposed to a wide open non border where anybody and their brother can walk across. Claim Asylum and be set free to roam the country with a court date years in the future. Actually secure the border and the chance of immigration reform go up significantly. A guest worker program and legal immigration of others but with current conditions over 8 million illegals since January 2021 most of whom have been turned lose in the country. The opposition is not very effective. You are correct that we need immigration but we need Immigrants that want to become Americans that accept and participate in the American Dream.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I see that come next year, McDs cashiers & floor moppers will be getting $20 per hour.

When i was in High School, i worked for a house builder & as a Stock Boy for a retail store.

Going rate an hour was $1.25

Now, the USA & Every State mandates that someone MUST do my job.
If a truck is carrying a load that is wider than 12 foot wide
that truck can't move on the Road, unless they have a State, County, City Special Permit. They also have to hire a Pilot Car, as a safety vehicle.
I run a Pilot Car Service.

On one particular job, i drove 12 miles to meet a truck driver, i took the Lead Position & we drove downhill to the Main Highway & he thanked me & i drove back home.
I received a check in the mail for $175.00.

To me, that is like Bonus Pay
Another time, i met the same truck driver about 80 miles from my home, i followed that truck load for about 90 miles & then had to drive home.
The pay check was still $175.00
If that same job was about 15 miles further that i was with the Truck Load, i would have charged $1.70 per Mile.
( those were 2019 prices )

We only get paid for the time i am with the Oversized Load & the trucks wheels are turning

I am driving my own clean, dependable truck to do the job.
I am required to have Traffic Cones, Road Flares, Full Sized First Aid Kit, Special Sign, Rotating Orange Lights, Door Signs, Safety Vests, Hard Hats, etc. , etc.
I also need to have a minimum of $750,000 of Commercial Auto Insurance

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I see that come next year, McDs cashiers & floor moppers will be getting $20 per hour.

When i was in High School, i worked for a house builder & as a Stock Boy for a retail store.

Going rate an hour was $1.25

Now, the USA & Every State mandates that someone MUST do my job.
If a truck is carrying a load that is wider than 12 foot wide
that truck can't move on the Road, unless they have a State, County, City Special Permit. They also have to hire a Pilot Car, as a safety vehicle.
I run a Pilot Car Service.

On one particular job, i drove 12 miles to meet a truck driver, i took the Lead Position & we drove downhill to the Main Highway & he thanked me & i drove back home.
I received a check in the mail for $175.00.

To me, that is like Bonus Pay
Another time, i met the same truck driver about 80 miles from my home, i followed that truck load for about 90 miles & then had to drive home.
The pay check was still $175.00
If that same job was about 15 miles further that i was with the Truck Load, i would have charged $1.70 per Mile.
( those were 2019 prices )

We only get paid for the time i am with the Oversized Load & the trucks wheels are turning

I am driving my own clean, dependable truck to do the job.
I am required to have Traffic Cones, Road Flares, Full Sized First Aid Kit, Special Sign, Rotating Orange Lights, Door Signs, Safety Vests, Hard Hats, etc. , etc.
I also need to have a minimum of $750,000 of Commercial Auto Insurance

According to the Gov't that 1.25 is 12.88

Also those McD will be out of work.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the fact that our current “uniter n chief” went down to the picket lines and said they deserve a raise, a first for a sitting president. At around 28$/ average, they’re at the same level that 1st class shipbuilders make producing ships for the US Navy (ask me how I know).
Of course the current administration wants the UAW to get paid more, those costs get passed on to the consumer. Tell me how much a single cheese burger from McDonald’s costs right now while a job intended for high school kids and part time jobs is starting off at over $10hr in my area. Costs for Dino powered vehicles stay high, and more reason to push electric vehicles and the green agenda. Oh, come get your government subsidies for your battery powered vehicles, they’re more affordable than gas powered vehicles. Can we say 33 trillion in national debt and counting! Inflation is sky high and production is down, I fear we’re in for a rough ride.
I live in Southeast Tennessee, and this past Sunday, (10/08/2023) we made a trip to Pigeon Forge. On the way back home, a 2 hour drive, we stopped at a Krystal and got 12 cheese Krystals, 1 order of fries, and 2 large drinks. Wanna know the tab for that? $33 and change. If we didn't have our fur baby with us, we could have stopped and ate at a restaurant for just a few dollars more. This economy is ridiculous for those on fixed incomes, and I might add, even those who work a 40 hour week, wages can't keep up with the rate of inflation. Something needs to change, and soon, or there will be a lot more homelessness in this country.