Carven R series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
So I ordered a carven R series muffler and Y pipe adapter and received it yesterday. Wanted to know thoughts from those of you running them. I know it's a baffled exhaust but I think I was actually expecting some baffling in it :roflsquared:. Looks almost like a glass pack to me but i'm no expert. I plan on getting it welded up on friday and got quoted $95 for the work which seemed fair. Curious on everyone's thoughts. Am I gonna have to be that guy that shuts off his truck in a drive through?

20150914_131237.jpg

20150915_191906.jpg

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
My son had the AR Model installed on his 09 FX4 5.4L 3V about 2 weeks ago and it sounds mean as He!!... Very Little Drone! He does have the stock cats still installed.. Dual Cats into a single 3" all the way back and dumps just past the back axle with a 5in SS Tip...

There is NO other sound like it...

I debated whether or not to install the larger one {TR Model} on my Ram... I kind of regret it now...

Are you going to leave the cats and resonators on?

Carven has many videos posted on their FB page... But I can tell you-->Those videos do not do this muffler justice... Hearing one in person is the only way to decide whether or not this is the Muffler for U... I personally LOVE the Sound... These mufflers have NO packing in that I seen...

I did contact them about their custom 4.5" Black tips for our Rams... I was told to check back in a month...

Once you get that monster installed-->Post a video if you can... I can tell you this-->You will have a Ram that sounds totally different then any Ram around... I applaud you for not being one of the sheep!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
My son had the AR Model installed on his 09 FX4 5.4L 3V about 2 weeks ago and it sounds mean as He!!... Very Little Drone! He does have the stock cats still installed.. Dual Cats into a single 3" all the way back and dumps just past the back axle with a 5in SS Tip...

There is NO other sound like it...

I debated whether or not to install the larger one {TR Model} on my Ram... I kind of regret it now...

Are you going to leave the cats and resonators on?

Carven has many videos posted on their FB page... But I can tell you-->Those videos do not do this muffler justice... Hearing one in person is the only way to decide whether or not this is the Muffler for U... I personally LOVE the Sound... These mufflers have NO packing in that I seen...

I did contact them about their custom 4.5" Black tips for our Rams... I was told to check back in a month...

Once you get that monster installed-->Post a video if you can... I can tell you this-->You will have a Ram that sounds totally different then any Ram around... I applaud you for not being one of the sheep!!

I want to say the AR-1 model was the previous model similar to the R series. From all the sound clips I know it'll sound deep and throaty but you just can't be sure with out hearing it in person.

What exhaust did you end up going with on your truck?

I'll get a video when I get it on there, I'm pretty excited to have the aggressive tone and the ability for people riding my as to hear the truck downshift. Definitely gotta keep cats for when I go back to California next year. May get rid of the resonators but I'll keep them on a while and decide whether I wanna keep'em or ditch them down the road

Last edited:
Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
After a few months of looking! Many nights on You/Tube!

I for sure wanted a straight through design... No Chambers! Nothing against Flowmaster-->But everybody I know has installed a Flowmaster! I don't want to be like everybody else!!! I like the way the Flowmaster Sounds! I Loved the Carven Sound {It's just a bit too aggressive for me}!

I found a Jones Dealer on E-Bay who sold me a 14" Full Boar {Max Flow} SS for $49 free shipping...

I had second thoughts about the quality of the muffler but after receiving the muffler and inspecting I was amazed at the build Quality! This is not some Cheap Imitation many claim it to be... {Of the Magnaflow}! The design might be the same but the quality and construction is Top Notch! Very Heavy for a 14" muffler...

I just had a Muffler Swap done! I am not looking for any HP or Torque gains... Just wanted a bit of a growl... I am an Muscle Car Fanatic and that was the sound I was after...

I am happy with my choice! $124 Total Spent for Muffler & Install-->Not a bad investment... Made driving the Ram that much more exciting!!

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
After a few months of looking! Many nights on You/Tube!

I for sure wanted a straight through design... No Chambers! Nothing against Flowmaster-->But everybody I know has installed a Flowmaster! I don't want to be like everybody else!!! I like the way the Flowmaster Sounds! I Loved the Carven Sound {It's just a bit too aggressive for me}!

I found a Jones Dealer on E-Bay who sold me a 14" Full Boar {Max Flow} SS for $49 free shipping...

I had second thoughts about the quality of the muffler but after receiving the muffler and inspecting I was amazed at the build Quality! This is not some Cheap Imitation many claim it to be... {Of the Magnaflow}! The design might be the same but the quality and construction is Top Notch! Very Heavy for a 14" muffler...

I just had a Muffler Swap done! I am not looking for any HP or Torque gains... Just wanted a bit of a growl... I am an Muscle Car Fanatic and that was the sound I was after...

I am happy with my choice! $124 Total Spent for Muffler & Install-->Not a bad investment... Made driving the Ram that much more exciting!!

Is this the one you went with?

Jones Exhaust Full Boar Max Flow Muffler 3" Center Inlet 2 5" Dual Out MF2288 | eBay

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yes that is the Jones Max Flow!

Here is the one I bought!

Performance Muffler Max Flow SS 5x8 Center 3" Dual 2 5" MF2198 | eBay

Looks like the Price has already changed...

Riccochet: The one you posted is the Muffler I probably should have bought! But this 14" is really impressive... The only drone is around 1700-1800 rpms... give or take! I don't spend alot of time in that RPM range
anyway...

Last edited:
OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
So got the muffler put on my truck on Friday. Swapped out the muffler and left the resonators on. Definitely a deep throaty tone to it and super aggressive when you jump on it. The only thing that's a real bummer is you can tell when the MDS kicks in (any void in warranty disabling it?)

Taking off with any sort of acceleration and you'll be able to hear it in the cab. Don't know if it's because the regular cab or not, tt have some drone to it on the freeway at around 1500-1900 rpms but I need a little bit of noise to remind me I have a hemi.

Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase! Only spent about $210 on parts and labor, couldn't be anymore thrilled.

[yt]fI5HOd_EYuE[/yt]

Last edited:
Reactions: SyN

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
So got the muffler put on my truck on Friday. Swapped out the muffler and left the resonators on. Definitely a deep throaty tone to it and super aggressive when you jump on it. The only thing that's a real bummer is you can tell when the MDS kicks in (any void in warranty disabling it?)

Taking off with any sort of acceleration and you'll be able to hear it in the cab. Don't know if it's because the regular cab or not, tt have some drone to it on the freeway at around 1500-1900 rpms but I need a little bit of noise to remind me I have a hemi.

Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase! Only spent about $210 on parts and labor, couldn't be anymore thrilled.

[yt]fI5HOd_EYuE[/yt]

If its a 6 spd just press the - button the shifter then + up to 6. As long as it says 6 on the cluster mds will not kick in. I also heard people say tow haul mode turns it off too.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow I love that idle tone. my truck came with a slowmaster on it and I have been itching to swap. I might be looking at carven now

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They only charged you $95 to install the y pipe and the muffler? Seems like a very good deal.

OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
If its a 6 spd just press the - button the shifter then + up to 6. As long as it says 6 on the cluster mds will not kick in. I also heard people say tow haul mode turns it off too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that leave it in sixth gear or would it override? Never had a need to use the gear selector yet.

They only charged you $95 to install the y pipe and the muffler? Seems like a very good deal.

Yea it was a pretty good deal. Found the shop with the best reviews online and that's what they quoted.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have been in love with the Carveen sound since they showed up here. I want to get one as soon as I am able to (quit having to fix crap). I know the best way to install would be to take it to a muffler shop, but can they (or the other muffler discussed here) be installed without being welded? I know I will need an extension tube.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that leave it in sixth gear or would it override? Never had a need to use the gear selector yet.

Yea it was a pretty good deal. Found the shop with the best reviews online and that's what they quoted.

No, the number that shows up in the cluster is the highest gear the truck will shift to on its on. So as long as its on 6 it will shift up and down like its supposed to. When you turn the truck off then on again you will have to put it to 6 again.

OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have been in love with the Carveen sound since they showed up here. I want to get one as soon as I am able to (quit having to fix crap). I know the best way to install would be to take it to a muffler shop, but can they (or the other muffler discussed here) be installed without being welded? I know I will need an extension tube.

I liked the sound of the R series the first time I heard a youtube clip, now I'm just waiting on them to restock their black tips. Carven exhaust have to be welded, there's really not enough of a lip to be able to bolt it on with.

No, the number that shows up in the cluster is the highest gear the truck will shift to on its on. So as long as its on 6 it will shift up and down like its supposed to. When you turn the truck off then on again you will have to put it to 6 again.

Thank you for the clarification

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
There is 1 thing about the Carven Desgin and Sound! There is NO other on the market that resembles it especially the internal design... nor even comes close to sounding like it...

I only wish I would have went with my Gut and installed one instead of the Jones! The Jones is a Great sounding muffler... but the Carven just gives off that Pi$$ed Off Growl...

I can always take a ride in my sons 5.4L 3V to get my fix though...

OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
There is 1 thing about the Carven Desgin and Sound! There is NO other on the market that resembles it especially the internal design... nor even comes close to sounding like it...

I only wish I would have went with my Gut and installed one instead of the Jones! The Jones is a Great sounding muffler... but the Carven just gives off that Pi$$ed Off Growl...

I can always take a ride in my sons 5.4L 3V to get my fix though...

The growl definitely isn't matched by anything else out there on the market. You could always swap out the jones with a carven down the road :naughty:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The growl definitely isn't matched by anything else out there on the market. You could always swap out the jones with a carven down the road :naughty:

Most Definitely a possibility! I already have the SS Y-Pipe! Maybe next Summer!

The Jones if Freshly Installed and Definitely NOT a disappointment...

I am ordering the Carven 4.5" Black Tips when they come available again! Hopefully they will be $99 again... They are a perfect direct bolt on!

Last edited:
OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Most Definitely a possibility! I already have the SS Y-Pipe! Maybe next Summer!

The Jones if Freshly Installed and Definitely NOT a disappointment...

I am ordering the Carven 4.5" Black Tips when they come available again! Hopefully they will be $99 again... They are a perfect direct bolt on!

I'm looking at getting the the black tips from them too. Hoping they've got a big enough stock this time since a lot of people want them.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the MF catback and have been thinking of swapping mufflers for a deeper sound....like how yours sounds at idle. But leaves to wonder how it sounds in MDS. Like 35/40 MDS or 55/60MDS mode. Mine currently is fine in MDS, barely hear it but its there. Just wish I could have deeper/meaner sound w/o the loudness or crap mds sound without having top spend a grand to disable it.

OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have the MF catback and have been thinking of swapping mufflers for a deeper sound....like how yours sounds at idle. But leaves to wonder how it sounds in MDS. Like 35/40 MDS or 55/60MDS mode. Mine currently is fine in MDS, barely hear it but its there. Just wish I could have deeper/meaner sound w/o the loudness or crap mds sound without having top spend a grand to disable it.

Mds while applying very little throttle is almost silent or what i can best describe as a putting sound. Once you raise rpm's you'll be able to hear quite a nice growl. At heavy acceleration it really screams.

On a positive note EVIC is showing a 1mpg incease in bumper to bumper.