Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read all of the catch can treads and I am confused on how to install the hoses on the inlet and outlet . My catch can has the 50 micron bronze filter, several people say the the inlet hose should be after the bronze filter not before. Most of these threads are several years old. What are the thoughts of you guys that have experience with your catch cans ?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Monitoring this thread. Not got a CC yet, a future purchase.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can't tell you which is correct as I'm not familiar with which CC you have. Which CC do you have? If in doubt and had no other way to find out, I'd try it one way for a given amount of miles driven, then switch it and drive for the same amount of miles. Whichever one collects the most liquid it the way I'd connect it. You should be able to google it based on which CC you have. Surely someone has posted a video on it.

OP
OP
dieseldave

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been on many U tube videos. Still can’t make up my mind. the ones I am referring to has the 50 micron bronze filter

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have been on many U tube videos. Still can’t make up my mind. the ones I am referring to has the 50 micron bronze filter
Haha that doesn't narrow it down. There are many different brands of catch cans. Do you know who makes it? Is it a generic one or was it made specifically to fit your truck and engine? BTW, what you call a bronze filter is actually not a filter in the traditional sense. It's intended purpose is to catch the vapor and help it to condense to a liquid.

OP
OP
dieseldave

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
another question. Are there any concerns with the catch can liquid freezing in our Wisconsin winters ?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
another question. Are there any concerns with the catch can liquid freezing in our Wisconsin winters ?
What catch can do you have?

No concern there, there might be some liquid that will freeze in there but it won't hurt anything.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What catch can do you have?

No concern there, there might be some liquid that will freeze in there but it won't hurt anything.

Actually it freezes solid at -40 and fills up with condensation pretty quickly as well at those temps.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually it freezes solid at -40 and fills up with condensation pretty quickly as well at those temps.
-40?? Where do you guys live in the Artic? BURRR

just gotta keep it emptied within reason and it shouldn't hurt anything.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh just looked up that catch can, run the in side to the side with the bronze filter so the oil/water vapors condense again.

1631574057455.png

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The catch can is SPEEDWOW XOO2105LQT. or FS01511BL
Is it this one?...

If so, there is a drawing on the Amazon ad which shows how to connect it. Connect the port marked IN to the PCV and the other port connects to the intake. Looks like that one does indeed have a filter in addition to a perforated plate for vapor condensation. Not a bad design for such an inexpensive CC. My biggest issue with generic CC's is figuring out how and where to mount them.

Catch can connection.PNG

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GOTEXHAUST Do you have any input for me ?
Sorry, no we do not. We do not offer that product so we are totally unfamiliar with its install. We do not offer those types of catch cans. We only offer ones from UPR, Moroso, Morimoto, etc...

OP
OP
dieseldave

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it this one?...

If so, there is a drawing on the Amazon ad which shows how to connect it. Connect the port marked IN to the PCV and the other port connects to the intake. Looks like that one does indeed have a filter in addition to a perforated plate for vapor condensation. Not a bad design for such an inexpensive CC. My biggest issue with generic CC's is figuring out how and where to mount them.

View attachment 470781
Yes this is the one. Thanks for your reply

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I read all of the catch can treads and I am confused on how to install the hoses on the inlet and outlet . My catch can has the 50 micron bronze filter, several people say the the inlet hose should be after the bronze filter not before. Most of these threads are several years old. What are the thoughts of you guys that have experience with your catch cans ?
I an wondering why you need a catch can on a engine that does not have a turbo or direct induction

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A Catch Can is another word for Air Oil Separator
at one time several vehicle manufactures installed them at the factory
the reason for it is

What Is an Air Oil Separator?​

Oil from the crankcase can get into the blow-by gases escaping from the engine cylinders. These blow-by gases need to be recirculated back into the cylinders to reduce pressure (street-legal vehicles are not allowed to vent them into the atmosphere).

Todays emissions system makes the oil & air from the crankcase recycle through the FUEL system, Oil should never be mixed with Gas, it does not burn very well
So a catch can grabs that oil before it can enter the fuel system & the oil is caught in a catch can, it can be dumped from that can at every oil change.
Unpolluted Gasoline burns hotter, giving you more power & better MPG