CEL codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allikanbe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My CEL light came on yesterday on my 2002 Ram V8 auto. The truck has 127k miles on it and this is the first time in 4 years that anything has been wrong. I took the truck to Advance Auto for a scan and the codes were:
P000 - Knock sensor
P1740 - Torque Converter solenoid
78 - base brake system

OK, where to start? I've owned the truck for about 4 years. I'm sure the trans fluid and filter need changed. Eveything else about the truck is great. There are no issues when driving. I searched on this forum and found some posts about the torque converter. They don't look good.
THere is no knocking, so I'm not sure what that is about.

OP
OP
A

Allikanbe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
actually, it's a 2001. I used my scanner today and cleared the CEL. Now, wait for it to light up again.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I would buy a replacement Mopar knock sensor, just in the event you end up needing it to have it handy.

When you do the trans fluid and filter, delete the check valve, around 160-200k miles they start to clog, some trucks even sooner. Also look at replacing the two sensors in the trans while the pan is off, they run about $120 I believe. Could be the cause for the CEL for Torque converter lockup sensor

Has been a while so please report back if your CEL came back what youve done to fix the problem.

OP
OP
A

Allikanbe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. I haven't fixed it yet. I plan to start next week. Those transmission sensors look like no fun.

OP
OP
A

Allikanbe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the codes read again at a dlfferent auto store. ABS and ECM. WTF?